• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

The livestreaming company announced today that it'll broadcast every match of the Overwatch League. It begins with Wednesday's 4 p.m. Pacific tilt, the historic first match between the San Francisco Shock and the Los Angeles Valiant. You can check the full season schedule here. It'll also broadcast streams in French and Korean. This two-year deal for exclusive broadcast rights includes playoffs and championship matches.

Other opening day matches include the Shanghai Dragons vs. the Los Angeles Gladiators, with the Dallas Fuel taking on the Seoul Dynasty in the nightcap.

According to Sports Business Daily, Twitch paid over $90 million for these broadcast rights.
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/09/overwatch-league-has-an-exclusive-broadcast-home-twitch/

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances some random PUBG or LoL streamer has a higher viewer count?

Although I guess with all this money being thrown into it, it does make me curious to watch.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Absolutely crazy how much money people pay just to watch people play videogames online. It's inconceivable.

I feel like I was born in the wrong decade, 80's kids like myself just don't get it.

Deleted member 2945

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of money.

I would have thought Activision would have done more considering they bought MLG.

But for that price you can buy my mum off of me.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Blizzard even cares how successful this league is when they've already collected these ridiculous amounts of money upfront.
I'm kidding, but also kinda not, lol.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao
Are they serious?
They are throwing a lot of money on OW eSport scene without a huge fanbase in viewers. Ow World Cup numbers are embarassing.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its incredible how much money OWL is already making since OW has been quite boring to watch as an esport for some time. Here's hoping the spectator improvements are truly impactful.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That is ridiculous... like that is close to half of some sport codes tv rights in Australia...

Can't believe it. Don't see how twitch will get there money back from this as I know overwatch is popular but surely not that popular...

Blizzard/Activison must be laughing - Overwatch is the gift that keeps on giving

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely enough money to justify the exclusivity, I'd bet. But at the same time I wonder how much more value Blizzard could have gotten if it shared some of those rights with TV. I think the Overwatch League's greatest hurdle will be growing an audience. But time will tell.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Umm I'm sure Twitch is smarter than me, but wouldn't it have been on Twitch anyway?

Even if it wasn't exclusive, the vast majority of people would not watch it elsewhere anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's a two year deal. I thought it was more.
I see.

I just...I guess to me, you throw that kind of money at a game with an established eSports fanbase rather than one just starting up for the very first time. I don't give a shit how good it looks on paper, Twitch is too organic to be predictable enough for $45 million/year. I would understand if this was money being thrown at League of Legends, Dota, CSGo, shit like that.

But...I'm sure they have access to analytics data that makes them believe this to be an easy ROI, so I won't question it too much yet. I just...call me Boromir. For I do not believe.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get it personally...twitch is still the most viewed streaming platform atm. Sure mixer and youtube is there but, I don't think much would watch it on those platforms, feel like it's a waste of money. Oh well.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn they could probably buy the rights to stream capcom games for a pallet of spagettios.

xeons

Jan 6, 2018
90 mil... twitch sweety... lmao today's the first day of the OWL, let's see how many viewers they pull ‍

Oct 25, 2017
My only hope is that Amazon/Twitch and Blizzard drop all kinds of loot for watching official league sanctioned games.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, Overwatch has never been a good spectator esport.

I don't think it ever will be. The league stuff feels kind of late to the party but Blizzard seems pretty optimistic so who knows!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some stats from last year's Overwatch World Cup since I was curious. From here.

Average concurrent viewers: 206,513 viewers (405,730 if you include China)
Peak viewers: 840,812 viewers (France vs China),

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
At least you can say that the Overwtch World Cup's streaming options are in good hands. Probably would be much more concerning if another streaming service was able to outbid Twitch for the Overwatch League.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely crazy how much money people pay just to watch people play videogames online. It's inconceivable.

I feel like I was born in the wrong decade, 80's kids like myself just don't get it.

I know what you mean. I guess it is new form entertainment spawned off the backs of competitive sports and reality shows.

Then again, we did have The Wizard. ;)

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

I see the appeal, depends on the game.

In terms of Overwatch,

I can understand whats going on while following one player, but in tournament settings constantly switching viewpoints is too confusing.

This doesn't seem like a game that can be viewed casually which could explain the lower then expected numbers.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Oh wow, I thought this would be on MLG too. That's a big investment but it makes sense to make Twitch THE esports home.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, where else would it have streamed? Twitch would have already been the largest wouldn't it?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Twitch will stream and broadcast the OWL and not Blizzard. That's kinda interesting.
Or did they pay just $90m to have Blizzard broadcast on their platform.
That would be a huge overpay imho

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very curious to see if they make back their investment. i'm guessing this is gonna be a fail, i mean with the numbers above (peak viewers less than a million) I just don't see it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the Overwatch League seems insane. I don't get why seemingly everyone thinks it will be huge, the Blizzcon tournaments weren't blowing out records for viewership.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how much money is being pushed into Overwatch Esports.

I'm not really into watching competitive FPS's, so I don't really have any perspective of this, but is there even an audience for this? Outside of some characters, Overwatch just seemed like the most bland competitive game ever made.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Scratch what I said earlier about tv rights - I thought it was $90 million over at least 5 years but $90 million over two years only is ridiculous... Like that is literally more then some sport codes TV rights per year.

As said above I don't think overwqtch is popular enough an e-sport to justify this amount of money being laid out and I am sure even if twitch didn't stream it would have ended up on their service anyway because it wasn't going to go to anywhere else...

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Overwatch is boring to watch.

I think Quake Champions will be the FPS to watch.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's a looooot of moolahs. But then it keeps Twitch even more relevant. There's competition out there, and live streaming is getting more and more popular by the day!