• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
it's been in debate for years so i doubt anyone defending zwarte piet today hasn't heard of the reasons why it should be changed. how exactly should we view them with that in mind?
Don't know about the Zwarte Piet thing, but here in Spain the debate about the dark-skinned king has never been a big thing, only in some big cities like Barcelona, but ignored by most of the more rural areas. As I've said it needs to change and with time it'll surely do, but trying to label most Baltasars as racist is not something wise.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how we keep having this issue... like didn't you hear about the scandal when the last person did this shit?

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly didn't understand that ANYONE got attacked in Russia. Even Russians.

"This raises the concern that attacks against Africans are premeditated and not only isolated, random and purportedly drunken occurrences carried out by alleged skinheads and hooligans. In one instance reported to the Task Force in February 2009, two Nigerian men were invited by a Russian man to his apartment under the guise of a drink and friendship. The two men were reluctant and skeptical, but homeless and willing to take the chance. Once inside the locked apartment, the Russian man attacked the two Nigerians with a knife, saying that he had killed blacks in Chechnya and that he wanted to attack more black men because they were trying to dominate Russia"

In May 2009, a 64 year old woman from the DRC was attacked on a crowded trolley bus during the middle of the day. She was beaten by three men, sustaining severe bruising to her face, shoulders, chest and torso as well as a split lip. The attack was unprovoked, beginning with the men approaching her and calling her names like "nigger" and "monkey." The only person on the trolley bus who helped her was the bus driver. Some of the other passengers reportedly laughed during the attack

Yeah, I don't know about that. They seem pretty racially motivated to me?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about the Zwarte Piet thing, but here in Spain the debate about the dark-skinned king has never been a big thing, only in some big cities like Barcelona, but ignored by most of the more rural areas. As I've said it needs to change and with time it'll surely do, but trying to label most Baltasars as racist is not something wise.

that's still been a conversation that's been going on for a few years now and i don't think rural spain is backwater enough to not be aware of the controversy. so again, if they know about it, but don't think that it matters, what should we think of them?

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Like, this is is a brand that sells their product in most stores in Spain right now:

H3lJzOc.jpg

People in mainland Europe can go months at a time without interacting with a black person. It's no wonder this shit keeps happening, but it doesn't make it any less wrong.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I sure think we should go by what the majority of people in white racist nations think on the topic rather than the minorities that have to put up with this shit. Blackface has nothing to do with this and the idea that you can't see why this is offensive if you aren't familiar with blackface is fucking moronic.

Did you even read the post you're responding to? At no point did he say anything like this, he's commenting on the many people saying it's impossible for people not to know. He even said it doesn't make it right. Fucking hell guys, you can be better than this.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one here is doing that, but they are still being chewed out for some reason. They're told to go educate themselves, and in the next breath berated for daring to ask a question about it. We all agree that this was bad and that Twitch is in the right. Some are just trying to ask what this means and why it's not being struck down more in their respective countries (with pictures and anecdotes). The brigading coming in and saying "I don't believe you" when they're trying to ask is completely ????? for me. Did they even read the posts, or just have a knee jerk reaction? There are enough people in this topic saying they didn't know (or didn't know until recently) that it should be enough to pause for two seconds, right?

There shouldn't be questions tbh. If someone says blackface is racist you should realize why, asking people why it is racist when it's sort of obvious comes as sealioning. Like I said, I'm not american and I understood why it was, didn't ask for a whole lesson about it.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Excusing Blackface
This isn't blackface. Jesus fucking Christ. Some of you need to open a textbook.

Intent. Fucking. Matters.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
You can't say it's a neat cosplay after being explained why it's hurtful and demeaning.

And same goes for the cosplayer after being banned

I actually forgot to erase that part of my post lol. I knew someone would take issue with it since I didn't bother explaining myself at all and this is a very unpopular position (and I really was not up to defending myself right now). Well, too late now.

Since you asked, I don't want to perpetuate these kinds of attitudes and so try not to adopt them myself. The blackface of old was out-of-taste makeup that diminished everyone of black descent by presenting meager caricatures on-stage. What I see here is a girl who wants to dress up as a character she likes from a video game. I see no harm done in this, except in the minds of people directly affected by that crap. My personal opinion is that there should be an expiration date on such taboos, and any real harm that's done is in giving those mistakes the power to control us even now, to the extent that a girl just trying to make the best cosplay she can gets dogpiled by a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Maybe we're just not far enough removed from the racist connotations and I know I'm sheltered, but I hate this kind of stuff enough to speak up.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russia is one of the most racist countries on the planet, a super Nazi country where black men that date white women are living in fear of their life, fucking nonsense
Russia is... a super Nazi country? lol

Blackface is a thing in the US because of our history with the minstrel show, a uniquely American flavor of racist bullshit. It makes sense that many in other countries wouldn't be familiar with it.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's 2019. Everyone should know by now not to do black face.

After reading the article she isn't American. She may not get the context and why you can't do this. Hopefully now she knows
Probably. I just discovered about this right now and was wondering what was wrong with she using make up to darker her skin. Had no idea this is an offense in the US. Welp.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can cosplay your favorite characters without painting your face you idiots.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, one has a responsibility to be educated on social issues. There are many outlets that offer the information. Whether one cares enough to actively pursue that knowledge is ultimately on them. Playing ignorant because the phenomenon is not known in your part of the world will never excuse it, genuine ignorance or not.

Educate yourself. If you're made it so far as to find your way onto a forum that is as progressive as ERA (ideally) you're already taking one step. Take a step further.

If you've already made a mistake in ignorance, own up to it, apologize and try learning from it. Something this cosplayer is already forgetting.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Good lord. Is it so hard to not black face?

Couldn't you just as easily wear the costume and not do the shitty blackface?

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't blackface. Jesus fucking Christ. Some of you need to open a textbook.

Blackface is blackface, her intent only matters when it comes to how severe her punishment is.

But the fact she kept posting pictures of the cosplay after her ban, makes me believe she does not seem to actually care or want to understand the social ramifications of doing this.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Edit: Responded to quote on first page; went to last page only to find I'm the dozenth person to make the same point.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Blackface is a thing in the US because of our history with the minstrel show, a uniquely American flavor of racist bullshit. It makes sense that many in other countries wouldn't be familiar with it.
I remeber when I was a teenagers and used sites like Deviantart, mostly of the nazis wannabes there where Russian or Polish for some reason

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I sure think we should go by what the majority of people in white racist nations think on the topic rather than the minorities that have to put up with this shit. Blackface has nothing to do with this and the idea that you can't see why this is offensive if you aren't familiar with blackface is fucking moronic.

I mean, that's the thing. People need to be taught on the topic versus just getting jumped on.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah. Like, this is is a brand that sells their product in most stores in Spain right now:
Yep, I forgot about it but it used to be really popular.
It's no wonder this shit keeps happening, but it doesn't make it any less wrong.
Agreed, but as we know lots of people don't even think about this, as you said the contact with black people is really limited in some regions and usually people don't think about things that are not in their daily routine. Which makes them ignorant, and condemning ignorance is another topic IMO.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I think she probably didn't know this is considered offensive. And its not like she was doing the full-on minstrel style black face, she just darkened her skin as part of cosplaying a dark skinned character. I'm hopeful that this type of thing is a one-time fuckup where you learn your lesson, take your licks, and don't do it again.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
you don't have to know, see, be familiar with any black people to know that SKIN COLOR is not a cosmetic choice or costume.

you can dress up as a person of color by matching their wardrobe and style

this is like slanting your eyes to "look asian". i feel that is somehow more obvious and doubt people would defend it.

how are people like "oh i didn't know i didn't intend to"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

If it was about intent, they would paint a shade of color a dark skin person can actually be without being in a accident.

In 10/10 cases the character's costume is distinct enough that folks would know what they are without spreading shit on your skin. The fact folks think black people look like that speaks volumes in itself

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually forgot to erase that part of my post lol. I knew someone would take issue with it since I didn't bother explaining myself at all and this is a very unpopular position (and I really was not up to defending myself right now). Well, too late now.

Since you asked, I don't want to perpetuate these kinds of attitudes and so try not to adopt them myself. The blackface of old was out-of-taste makeup that diminished everyone of black descent by presenting meager caricatures on-stage. What I see here is a girl who wants to dress up as a character she likes from a video game. I see no harm done in this, except in the minds of people directly affected by that crap. My personal opinion is that there should be an expiration date on such taboos, and any real harm that's done is in giving those mistakes the power to control us even now, to the extent that a girl just trying to make the best cosplay she can gets dogpiled by a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Maybe we're just not far enough removed from the racist connotations and I know I'm sheltered, but I hate this kind of stuff enough to speak up.

maybe that taboo will be gone when people aren't discriminated against because of the color of their skin

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is indeed the first time I hear about this, if you tell me about blackface, my first reaction would be the Peking Opera facial makeup, where black face means the character is series, dignified or straight forward (while white face stands for cunning and suspicious).

But the real question is, where is this girl from? If she's from the US, she should know she's not suppose to do it. I searched her on the Internet and it seems she's from east Europe and doesn't speak English well? If that's the case I think a fair warning should do instead of an immediate ban.

It's not a problem of which country we should "go by". The very thought of the whole world should "go by" a certain country's tradition and custom is extremely imperialism and racist in itself. We are not talking about a broad universal concept like "equal right" here. We are talking about one specific custom, one social taboo that strictly exists in one country that accounts for 4% of the world's population. How many Chinese or Indian or Indonesian or Brazilian social taboos do you know?

white nationalism is huge in russia, pointless as they are already a white country but yes, skinheads are huge there.

Timurse

Oct 28, 2017
Moscow, Russia
Show me a statistic that supports this, if it's roughly similar than you would be correct but also,
Have your coworkers/fellow students/peers made derogatory comments about your race?"
Yes 64.5% (135)
No 27.5% (57)
How would you describe inter-race relations in Russia today?
Very good
0.5% (1)
Good
7.5% (16)
Neutral
25% (52)
Tense
33% (69)
Very tense
28% (58)
I am myself Russian. Well, Russian citizen, but my nationality is Tartar. Boy, I got thousands of jokes about that my entire life. We just don't perceive that as something horrible. We got bigger problems here. And yeah, as I wrote before, there are nationalities here in Russia that are generally treated like garbage which is horrible. Russia is a very racist country on the everyday level. But that's a part of our life. And believe me if people here want to offend you they wouldn't use such obscure methods like blackface, they would just swear and curse openly right in your face.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah but looks like she doubled down after being banned, so the second time she knew about it.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Blackface is blackface, her intent only matters when it comes to how severe her punishment is.

But the fact she kept posting the pictures of her cosplay after her ban, makes me believe she does not seem to actually care or want to understand.

This isn't blackface. It is neither harmful nor demeaning. To take it as such is an extreme that makes little sense when you understand that actual historical significance of black face.

There's nothing to understand. It's an overreaction to an oversimplified issue.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I am myself Russian. Well, Russian citizen, but my nationality is Tartar. Boy, I got thousands of jokes about that my entire life. We just don't perceive that as something horrible. We got bigger problems here. And yeah, as I wrote before, there are nationalities here in Russia that are generally treated like garbage which is horrible. Russia is a very racist country on the everyday level. But that's a part of our life. And believe me if people here want to offend you they wouldn't use such obscure methods like blackface, they would just swear and curse openly right in your face.
So why did you seem to object to
'Russia is one of the most racist countries on the planet' if you think Russia is so racist?
Also that doesn't really change how Black people view race relations, with only 8% calling it good and over 50% saying it's tense?

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't blackface. It is neither harmful nor demeaning. To take it as such is an extreme that makes little sense when you understand that actual historical significance of black face.

I'm sorry, but you don't really get to decide if it's harmful or demeaning. Plenty of people find it to be just that, and it does not have to be Mammy levels of ridiculous for it to be considered offensive.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on guys we can give her a break, how could she possibly be expected to know this when all she was doing was *checks notes* streaming herself on an international website on the worldwide web? It's not like this is a huge point of controversy in the *checks notes* cosplay community.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. The history of blackface dictates that any modern blackface is unacceptable, regardless of intent.

A 30-day ban is an appropriate response, even if she had no malicious intent. You can't do this shit. If she really didn't know before, she does now. And she'll be back on Twitch in a month.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I forgot about it but it used to be really popular.

Agreed, but as we know lots of people don't even think about this, as you said the contact with black people is really limited in some regions and usually people don't think about things that are not in their daily routine. Which makes them ignorant, and condemning ignorance is another topic IMO.
You can't really separate ignorance from the foundation of racism. You will not get anywhere without doing so. And frankly what this comes down to is said ignorant people will feel some type of way if the reality of what they casually thing is all fun and games is in fact very offensive and called for what it is.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys we can give her a break, how could she possibly be expected to know this when all she was doing was *checks notes* streaming herself on an international website on the worldwide web? It's not like this is a huge point of controversy in the *checks notes* cosplay community.
Learning to read would probably help you, because she is not Russian, and I doubt the cosplay communities of Lithuania and United States interact all that often.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I am white. I did Halloween dressed as Flavor Flav ( I LOVED P.E. back in the day...Well, still do) . I had a track suit, a giant clock around my neck, some jewellery, shades, and a top hat. That's enough props. I didnt do any makeup, people knew who i was. If you think that doing makeup to show the ethnicity of the person you're dressed as, then it's just not a good idea to continue.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, I can't excuse someone who has access to the internet. I doubt the cosplay community isn't aware of it.

Besides, she doesn't seem to have learned anything after Twitch banned her. Bet ya she will try to do that shit again.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is indeed the first time I hear about this, if you tell me about blackface, my first reaction would be the Peking Opera facial makeup, where black face means the character is series, dignified or straight forward (while white face stands for cunning and suspicious).

But the real question is, where is this girl from? If she's from the US, she should know she's not suppose to do it. I searched her on the Internet and it seems she's from east Europe and doesn't speak English well? If that's the case I think a fair warning should do instead of an immediate ban.

It's not a problem of which country we should "go by". The very thought of the whole world should "go by" a certain country's tradition and custom is extremely imperialism and racist in itself. We are not talking about a broad universal concept like "equal right" here. We are talking about one specific custom, one social taboo that strictly exists in one country that accounts for 4% of the world's population. How many Chinese or Indian or Indonesian or Brazilian social taboos do you know?

She's on a platform based in America. Whether she's from another country or not, her intent is not how the audience or the staff of Twitch perceives what she did.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
There's no way you don't know better by now. I refuse to believe someone is completely oblivious, especially as a cosplayer at this point.

*This person wearing blackface isn't doing blackface*