• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I watched her video talking about it. Doesn't really apologize or anything. Just says it was "for fun."

She seems like she doesn't know that that could be deemed offensive. People should know by now, but she seems a little ignorant.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
oh wow you really don't get it

It is my general experience that when someone posts "you don't get it" and leave it like that, most of the time there is actually nothing to get beyond the fact that they've just run out of arguments. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

As for the use of "American", I actually don't much care either way, since I'm not American (in either sense of the word). I just found it weird that it would be a hard concept to grasp why some might take issue with it, even though it's mostly skating uphill by now. But please don't fool yourselves into thinking this is because nobody came up with a more suitable term, rather than a direct reflection of the US's power and world presence compared to every other American nation.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Racist. And the doubling down after being educated makes that crystal fucking clear. Why anyone is still arguing about ignorance in here, I don't know.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched her video talking about it. Doesn't really apologize or anything. Just says it was "for fun."

She seems like she doesn't know that that could be deemed offensive. People should know by now, but she seems a little ignorant.
She should be more apologetic though. Even if she didn't know before, she should still apologize after the fact. Most people have done or said something unintentionally offensive at some point in their lives. There's supposed to be an apology afterward. By doubling down and going with the "for fun" defense, she does come across as racist.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is a very "non US person" idea.
We also use "American" in our own day to day conversation, as I'm sure people in your country do with Spaniard/Spanish. "I don't like US people cars" doesn't roll off the tongue. "US people food is so high in fat." "Doctor Strange has a funny sounding US people accent."

Why the fuck would you put "people" in there? Here's the exact same examples without the absurd strawman:
"I don't like US cars" "US food is so high in fat." "Doctor Strange has a funny sounding US accent."
Why the embarrasing disingenuity?

This is an impossible thing to try and change. "American" became a thing because our founding fathers chose a stupid country name and now we're stuck with it.

Isn't that convenient. "Can't be changed; don't complain about it, other countries".

Anyway. I don't have a horse in this race and we're derailing the thread.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
edit: best not to engage with people who don't post in good faith

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you put "people" in there? Here's the exact same examples without the absurd strawman:
"I don't like US cars" "US food is so high in fat." "Doctor Strange has a funny sounding US accent."
Why the embarrasing disingenuity?

Isn't that convenient. "Can't be changed; don't complain about it, other countries".
I dunno why you're keeping up this stupid derail, but I'll be the bigger person and shut it down.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Looking at where she's from there's a legit chance she didn't know, but sharing pics after getting banned? Doesn't look like she was willing to learn either, so screw her.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
a more suitable term for someone from the united states? like the word estadounidense? which i use in the post you took umbrage with?

"Estadounidense" is not a suitable term in English. You seem to weave in and out of serious and joking whenever it suits you so that you don't have to reply to anything and can claim to be joking when any of your arguments is called out, so because of that and of the above it's probably best to leave it here.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, even without knowing blackface caricature, she deserves some degree of blame for the idea that merely painting herself black would make her cosplay more authentic to African. Like, seriously, couldn't she check herself on mirror and see it looks so unnatural and uncanny?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's on a platform based in America. Whether she's from another country or not, her intent is not how the audience or the staff of Twitch perceives what she did.
Twitch is an American company, that doesn't mean Twitch's audience is mostly American. Most Facebook/Twitter users are not Americans either. As for how the staff perceives it, that's what I disagree with. I don't use Twitch so I don't really care about Twitch policy, I just find the punishment a bit harsh basing on what I've seen of this case. But of course, it's their platform, their business, they can do whatever they see fit.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch is an American company, that doesn't mean Twitch's audience is mostly American. Most Facebook/Twitter users are not Americans either. As for how the staff perceives it, that's what I disagree with. I don't use Twitch so I don't really care about Twitch policy, I just find the punishment a bit harsh basing on what I've seen of this case. But of course, it's their platform, their business, they can do whatever they see fit.

It's only a 30 day suspension and she kept posting the pictures even after being told it was very offensive.

The punishment is too lenient now considering she seems to not care enough to even educate herself. Or, you know, stop posting blackface.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns relating to blackface
I would people from ERA see this video, at least just the minute from 3:00 to around 4:00

This is the Blacks and Whites' Carnival from my country, Colombia. It is held every year, it is akin to the Rio Carnival, where people compete to have the best carnival floats, no so much about the dancing as in Rio tho.

And it is very common for white people to paint themselves black, and black people to paint themselves white, and for people not just participating in the caravans, but in the public since it is a very festivity.

So just as much as you are all asking for "common sense" and for people going to google for advice on not to paint themselves, and such, please just keep in mind, that the black face is not an issue, or prevalent on several other countries, just as many other posters have said about other countries.

So please do not forget to take into account where this girl was from, and with what intention she did it.

I do not blame Twitch since they are an American company and have all the rights to not want this type of content/situations on their platform, however please do not blame the person for having made the mistake to display herself on an American platform with no malice.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
US people sounds ridiculous
I would people from ERA see this video, at least just the minute from 3:00 to around 4:00

This is the Blacks and Whites' Carnival from my country, Colombia. It is held every year, it is akin to the Rio Carnival, where people compete to have the best carnival floats, no so much about the dancing as in Rio tho.

And it is very common for white people to paint themselves black, and black people to paint themselves white, and for people not just participating in the caravans, but in the public since it is a very festivity.

So just as much as you are all asking for "common sense" and for people going to google for advice on not to paint themselves, and such, please just keep in mind, that the black face is not an issue, or prevalent on several other countries, just as many other posters have said about other countries.

So please do not forget to take into account where this girl was from, and with what intention she did it.

I do not blame Twitch since they are an American company and have all the rights to not want this type of content/situations on their platform, however please do not blame the person for having made the mistake to display herself on an American platform with no malice.

She was banned and continued to post the pictures on other social media sites even after being told they were offensive

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
US people sounds ridiculous

She was banned and continued to post the pictures on other social media sites even after being told they were offensive

Fair enough, then she should have stopped after she was the first time (her Twitch ban I would imagine).

Anyway, I just wanted to point out as many other people did before, that people painting themselves black (or even white), is not offensive in other countries under certain contexts.

OP
OP
Dracil

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
My friend was trying to make the argument that she was just trying to match the "canon" look of Lifeline and that since she didn't have malicious intent it wasn't that bad.

I thought about it, then I looked up Lifeline cosplays and then put them side-by-side....

M09bzFqh.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My friend was trying to make the argument that she was just trying to match the "canon" look of Lifeline and that since she didn't have malicious intent it wasn't that bad.

I thought about it, then I looked up Lifeline cosplays and then put them side-by-side....

M09bzFqh.jpg
Put more thought into the black face than the rest of the getup

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing blackface
Pretty sure some random countries don't find it offensive, yeah. I know thats going to be a weird statement for a primarily westernized board, but still not okay on twitch really.
Yeah the idea that this might offend someone is completely alien where I live.

Like, whenever I read about backlash on costumes or dances or whatever with regards to cultural appropriation, it really hits home how different one culture can be to another. As a Latin American, I'm more often than not just straight puzzled about the stuff that offends Latinos in the US.

I'm not white, but I'm pretty sure I'd get zero backlash locally if I powdered my face for a Geralt costume, or painted myself black to cosplay Black Panther or whatever.

Still, if you're a public figure you need to understand and respect your target audience's sensibilities, whatever they may be. If you fail to study and learn about what is OK and what isn't in a given culture, you're bound to mess up like this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the idea that this might offend someone is completely alien where I live.

Like, whenever I read about backlash on costumes or dances or whatever with regards to cultural appropriation, it really hits home how different one culture can be to another. As a Latin American, I'm more often than not just straight puzzled about the stuff that offends Latinos in the US.

I'm not white, but I'm pretty sure I'd get zero backlash locally if I powdered my face for a Geralt costume, or painted myself black to cosplay Black Panther or whatever.

Still, if you're a public figure you need to understand and respect your target audience's sensibilities, whatever they may be. If you fail to study and learn about what is OK and what isn't in a given culture, you're bound to mess up like this.
Why would you paint your face to look like Black Panther? He is a regular dude, it's his costume that is distinct

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She should be more apologetic though. Even if she didn't know before, she should still apologize after the fact. Most people have done or said something unintentionally offensive at some point in their lives. There's supposed to be an apology afterward. By doubling down and going with the "for fun" defense, she does come across as racist.

Absolutely. I'm saying she's ignorant to why that would be deemed offensive. She didn't get it.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point of contention is not that "Americans" cannot be discerned to mean "US people" by context (like in this case); it's that it erases other American countries and people.
i'm pretty sure most people from Canada and Mexico are 100% fine not being referred to as "Americans" dude

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you did that you would look completely ridiculous, there is no blackace that looks good and why it's always just the skin color ?why not the hair too?

Because in their country black face is cool so why wouldn't you? Isn't it obvious?

It's disturbing how many latinos here acts like it's okay and claim to be normal when it has never been normal to me and I'm latina living in a latin american country. In my whole life I have barely see people doing blackface but some latinos here act like it's a tradition or something.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I have a question is this consider black face ?
There are two most popular thai show that actors paint dark/brown tone skin.

Sangtong/สังค์ทอง
The Left is Thai Native.
N9RvfNgm.jpg

Hunt/ล่า
The Top Left Coner is one of MC disguise as Nigro Woman.
Who seek revenge the rapist group that rape her and her daughter.
UUYMat4m.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Belgian and the zwarte piet topic a user brought up is also heavely discussed here as well.
Most people either can't fathom what's so wrong about it or don't want to understand.
I super understand the issue of why blackface is offensive and am against the use of blackface to portay zwarte piet to be clear.
Point here is that she got punished for doing what she did and hopefully learned her lesson.
I do think she just didn't know considering where she's from and again I hope she learned from her mistake.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm Belgian and the zwarte piet topic a user brought up is also heavely discussed here as well.
Most people either can't fathom what's so wrong about it or don't want to understand.
I super understand the issue of why blackface is offensive and am against the use of blackface to portay zwarte piet to be clear.
Point here is that she got punished for doing what she did and hopefully learned her lesson.
I do think she just didn't know considering where she's from and again I hope she learned from her mistake.

according to other posts in this thread she continues to promote her cosplay/post it on social media despite people telling her its offensive/twitch ban. so no it doesnt sound like she's learned or cares

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
according to other posts in this thread she continues to promote her cosplay/post it on social media despite people telling her its offensive/twitch ban. so no it doesnt sound like she's learned or cares

This should be added to the OP or made into a threadmark. I originally gave her the benefit of the doubt to some extent, as I had only read the OP ... but it seems she just does not really care.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think what annoys me when events like this happen is often the benefit is always given that they are just ignorant and didn't know better. Yet, time and again, the woman who did blackface has been communicated through the twitch ban what the problem was, and instead they turned around to a platform that likely gives no fucks about blackface and sought support for her cosplay and put the picture back it.

So what, what is it now? Just more culture preventing this person from understanding and accepting why blackface is offensive? Cus really all I ever end up hearing is people come in and say they just don't know better to hand waive away why these people can't bring themselves to care just enough to empathize and understand the problem. That happens a lot when Zwart Piete threads happen. Hell its happened a lot in this thread alone.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually believe her, she's just been dumb here, not malicious, either way Twitch did the right thing. I doubt she'll do it again too.
This is my opinion as well. Isn't she from Lithuania? I don't think that country has the history the US or other countries have with blackface. She was super dumb and deserves her punishment but I believe her when she said it wasn't malicious. But now she better make sure not do that shit ever again!

EDIT: and apparently she learned nothing? If true then disregard my post and she's an idiot.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
This is my opinion as well. Isn't she from Lithuania? I don't think that country has the history the US or other countries have with blackface. She was super dumb and deserves her punishment but I believe her when she said it wasn't malicious. Now she better not do that shit ever again!

You're in for a surprise.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
As an American black male, am I supposed to find this offensive? Because I really don't. I only get mad at things with malicious intent, and I don't sense any malice from it.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
To be honest, I always thought blackfacing adresses roles in shows or theater where white people paint their skin black and exclude black people by doing so.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an American black male, am I supposed to find this offensive? Because I really don't. I only get mad at things with malicious intent, and I don't sense any malice from it.
Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. It can be exhausting and emotionally draining to get worked up so it's normal you'd want to reserve that for times you consider are worth your energy.

I'll tell you right now if I got angry over every appalling news thread on Etcetera I'd be in a mental hospital by now. It's not good for my health.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Glad I learnt from this thread that everyone outside of the US apparently does blackface daily.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I guess she didn't know about it? It's surprising how a lot of places don't know/ teach the historical context of it and why it's bad... she didn't seem like she understood it and didn't really want to hurt anyone and so I hope she learned her lesson and doesn't do it again... also I hope she doesn't get harassed because of this...

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why does the internet still think in 2019 that this qualifies your opinion somehow

sincere ignorance is just as harmful as maliciousness