• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dracil

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I always thought blackfacing adresses roles in shows or theater where white people paint their skin black and exclude black people by doing so.

According to one of the Youtube videos someone posted earlier talking about the history of blackface, they literally made black people wear blackface. Let that sink in for a moment.

OP
OP
Dracil

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
most thai people i talk to didn't think is racist (or care)

Hell,I don't even know is bad until i enter neogaf/reddit.

I actually grew up in Thailand. And I didn't know about blackface/minstrel stuff till many years after I moved to the US (and a lot of the latter only from Cuphead discussions)

That said, it's also quite possible for people to do racist things without the intent to do racist things, or even think it's racist.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thai natural skin tone are Tanned.
that user was asking if they were black, if that makes them black enough for you then why do blackface? also why not get a black actor? there must be at least one in Thailand also if some thailand actor is playing a white character, does they pain their face white too? See, this is the problem with blackface, a notnblack actor painting their skin black is better than getting a black actor. I remember this Brazilian telenovela where there was some indigenous characters and instead of getting an...indigenous actress or at least a brown actress they had a white(or white passing) actress doing brownface...when Brazil has plenty of brown people.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
People saying using google clearly are from America or the UK. Most people who are not familiar with blackface being offensive would not simply google such a thing because it would never cross their minds due to the cultural differences. Hopefully this gets the issue across to those who know nothing about it. This happening may be used as a learning experience.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
ivcnpqeldlmodzjewz5l.png

pp,550x550.u1.jpg

Oh yeah that's straight blackface. There's no reason for anyone worldwide to think this is ok in 2019. I don't wanna hear about that racist ass Swedish or Dutch festival either.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Pretty sure some random countries don't find it offensive, yeah. I know thats going to be a weird statement for a primarily westernized board, but still not okay on twitch really.

You can find people in the US that say it isn't offensive. Doesn't mean it's true. It's definitely offensive worldwide. People from other countries try to act like there's no racism, but that's crap. Racism is alive and well worldwide. Just because some white people say they haven't seen it or experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ignorance is not a valid excuse.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I didn't know is really just a indirect way of saying I didn't care. Own up to your bullshit people. When I was a kid I didn't paint my face white to be Batman on Halloween. It's not hard to not be racist. I promise.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
that user was asking if they were black, if that makes them black enough for you then why do blackface? also why not get a black actor? there must be at least one in Thailand also if some thailand actor is playing a white character, does they pain their face white too? See, this is the problem with blackface, a notnblack actor painting their skin black is better than getting a black actor. I remember this Brazilian telenovela where there was some indigenous characters and instead of getting an...indigenous actress or at least a brown actress they had a white(or white passing) actress doing brownface...when Brazil has plenty of brown people.
there's nothing wrong with what you're saying or the questions you're asking

however the simple fact of the matter is that some countries around the world just do not care about this subject in their culture, that's really all it comes down to. not all countries are exactly like America

have any of you heard of "DARKIE" toothpaste? this is not something I randomly searched while reading this thread, this is something I've known about because my parents told/showed me a long time ago. because they grew up in China & Taiwan. here's a pic and link and an excerpt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

Darlie_toothpaste_over_the_year.jpg

This is a toothpaste brand originally founded in China/Taiwan that was very popular. And the boxes which show blackface and "DARKIE" (not darLie) are before Colgate bought the company and forced them to change the logo/name sometime around 1990

But read this:

"However, the Chinese name of the brand, "黑人牙膏" (in English, "Black Person Toothpaste"), remains the same, and a Chinese-language advertising campaign reassured customers that "Black Person Toothpaste is still Black Person Toothpaste"."

Most native overseas Asians who have never lived in America don't care about that stuff. Even my parents still chuckle about this toothpaste. (they are in their upper-60s)

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I'm done with this thread. Good lord. Telling people to know the history, then attacking people for telling anecdotes and asking questions about the history. Wtf is this.

While I think people should try to be more culturally literate EVERYWHERE (even in Russia and Lithuania) and for that reason I think the argument is valid on both sides. Those that don't have that history, and don't know about it should be educated, and reprimanded for doing it, but let's pretend that people EVERYWHERE should just "know" and call them all morons for not knowing. Then let's torch folks for asking questions and mock them... that's not how you educate people.

Jesus today I've relearned how many people on the internet are just itching to light their torches and raise their pitchforks rather than be constructive.

My best friend, and business partner often calls people like this "racially ignorant" and refuses to acknowledge them as racist. I'm faster to pull the racist card than he is most of the time if I'm honest, and I'm the white dude...

That said, glad she was banned. This is wrong, let it be known to ANYONE here that it's wrong. If you want to know why simply GOOGLE blackface. Boom answered.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Like seriously regardless of where you are from if you have any lick of sense you should be able to tell why you shouldn't paint yourself to look like another, marginalized race. Its not different than slanting your eyes. You shouldn't have to be from the U.S. to see why its wrong. Use some common sense. Also FUCK her as she obviously doesn't give a shit.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
User Banned: (1 Month): Inflammatory Generalization; Antagonizing Other Users; History of Similar Behaviour
She didn't. Obviously. She got punished. Hopefully she learned.

Edit: Americans "refusing to believe" how things are in the other parts of the globe is about as ignorant as what she did. Blackface is pretty much never discussed or learned in many parts of the world (like mine). This is not super unlikely, guys.
But speading hate is what this forum do best. It's an extremely narrowminded place with little understanding on how things are outside the US.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder. Do the people who don't understand blackface have a bunch of non-white people who paint themselves white to look like white characters?

If yes, uhm, that's fucking weird.

If no, take about five seconds to think about why this phenomenon seems to be almost exclusively happening in one direction.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't know is really just a indirect way of saying I didn't care. Own up to your bullshit people. When I was a kid I didn't paint my face white to be Batman on Halloween. It's not hard to not be racist. I promise.
You're wrong though.
It's very easy to not do blackface, and there are many blatant racist things that are easy to just not do or promote, but not -being- racist is hard. In fact, many progressives argue that everyone is racist and acknowledging this is important in learning to do better. You can't just simply "not be racist and be done with it", it is a constant struggle against years and years of bad influences from media and the society at large.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you have never been culturally exposed to blackface it screams white privilege how you can't even contemplate why painting your face black to ape a black person wouldn't be seen as offensive.

Ignorance really isn't a great defence when you care that little about thinking what you are doing and the ramifications of it.

ps3ud0 8)

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder. Do the people who don't understand blackface have a bunch of non-white people who paint themselves white to look like white characters?

If yes, uhm, that's fucking weird.

If no, take about five seconds to think about why this phenomenon seems to be almost exclusively happening in one direction.
You've never heard of the Asian cultural phenomenon of valuing lighter/paler/whiter color skin? That's very common in Korea, China, Japan. And some of that is achieved through cosmetics/surgery

Also there are practically mathematically 0% native black citizens of those countries, so consequently they don't care much about black cultural issues

(I bring up those 3 specific countries because I actually have personal experience and traveled there. I've heard some other Asian countries are the same way, even India.)

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
In Italy during the 80-90s we had a really famous spot for a licorice candy that was blackface/mintrel show based. Fortunately i was still too young so i vaguely remember. I had to teach my parents and older friends why it was bad and offensive, hopefully they got it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You've never heard of the Asian cultural phenomenon of valuing lighter/paler/whiter color skin? That's very common in Korea, China, Japan. And some of that is achieved through cosmetics/surgery
Yeah, but...

Are they going under the knife to achieve a specific look that- regardless of its potentially contentious social ramifications- is a popular look in the country, or are they going under the knife to pretend to be Spiderman for a weekend convention?

There's a massive difference here.

Basically, my assignment to people is to think for, like, ten seconds why black people don't feel the need to paint themselves white to portray Superman but y'all just gotta dig out the facepaint from the attic to portray T'Challa.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, but...

Are they going under the knife to achieve a specific look that- regardless of its potentially contentious social ramifications- is a popular look in the country, or are they going under the knife to pretend to be Spiderman for a weekend convention?

There's a massive difference here.

oh I didn't know you were differentiating between the two cases, but yes it's typically the former. (but there's no contentious social ramifications within those countries itself, that's the reason it's popular in the first place)

Basically, my assignment to people is to think for, like, ten seconds why black people don't feel the need to paint themselves white to portray Superman but y'all just gotta dig out the facepaint from the attic to portray T'Challa.
But going back to this, the thing in Asia (at least the 3 countries I mentioned) is that they don't think about black people period. Because it makes up less than 0.01% of the citizen population there

I am strictly just stating this as a realistic fact. You and other posters are certainly free to make your own personal judgments on it being the case

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
People from US may think that concept blackface is imprinted into everyone's mind and people know why it's considered offensive. Here in Lithuania, I know about blackface only because of internet forums and scandals like this. The concept is simply not known to majority of people here and it's not considered offensive unless it's used to mock black people or present them as inferior, you know, actually racist. Here's a casual show on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1YoD6c5wo
Maybe people in US have some special classes showing why it can't be used, but here, nobody ever explained us why it should be such a taboo.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Also there are practically mathematically 0% native black citizens of those countries, so consequently they don't care much about black cultural issues

(I bring up those 3 specific countries because I actually have personal experience and traveled there. I've heard some other Asian countries are the same way, even India.)

Thai too.
They have a bunch skin care ads that black skin is bad white is good.

Nov 19, 2017
All these excuses i'm sitting here thinking, yes, black people are ignored and treated like trash all around the world. We're well ya'll don't care about issues that hurt us.
I'm african and that's a shared black experience.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thai too.
They have a bunch skin care ads that black skin is bad white is good.

yeah I've certainly heard that about Thailand too. Vietnam as well, I believe lighter-skinned women are considered more highly there

but I only wanted to list countries that I actually have personally visited and have experience with, so no one accuses me of stereotyping other countries

OP
OP
Dracil

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
there's nothing wrong with what you're saying or the questions you're asking

however the simple fact of the matter is that some countries around the world just do not care about this subject in their culture, that's really all it comes down to. not all countries are exactly like America

have any of you heard of "DARKIE" toothpaste? this is not something I randomly searched while reading this thread, this is something I've known about because my parents told/showed me a long time ago. because they grew up in China & Taiwan. here's a pic and link and an excerpt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

Darlie_toothpaste_over_the_year.jpg

This is a toothpaste brand originally founded in China/Taiwan that was very popular. And the boxes which show blackface and "DARKIE" (not darLie) are before Colgate bought the company and forced them to change the logo/name sometime around 1990

But read this:

"However, the Chinese name of the brand, "黑人牙膏" (in English, "Black Person Toothpaste"), remains the same, and a Chinese-language advertising campaign reassured customers that "Black Person Toothpaste is still Black Person Toothpaste"."

Most native overseas Asians who have never lived in America don't care about that stuff. Even my parents still chuckle about this toothpaste. (they are in their upper-60s)

I had these as a kid as well. Even back then I noticed it and had thoughts of WTF, how is this not racist and allowed?

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive commentary concerning blackface
People being so judgement and agressive against someone not from the US, some people literally just don't know. She likely had no ill intent, so calm the hell down people.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think her intent was malicious, but obviously that doesn't matter and you can't do this.
Yep,, she didn't know it was offensive, now she does and has been suitably punished for her ignorance.

Def think a lot of posters here need to learn about perspective. Yes her costume was offensive, no she didn't know it was. Now she does and has apologised and taken her ban. Not every country knows about blackface, that is slowly changing and hopefully events like this will lead to more enlightenment.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Repeat after me : It's alright to cosplay a character that has a different skin color than you, just don't consider their skin color as part of the costume.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Typical "respect" excuse lol

Blackface is everywhere around the world, though.

Fun fact: The king of blackface performers, Al Jolson, was born in Lithuania.
yeah but he moved to America when he was 5, so he's american culturally & professionally and I don't think he performed in Lithuania later on

the DARKIE toothpaste logo I posted about above is based on Al Jolson

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ffs stop using the black race as a costume.

Cosplay doesn't require one to use black skin as part of a costume. I don't know how one ever thinks its ok.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Ask yourself this, how come you only see white people paint themselves dark but not the other way for costumes? The skin color isn't the character, need to stop treating it as such.

^

I don't see black people painting themselves white to represent a character, unless they want to mock the "blackface" culture.

cabalgata1.jpg

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"Don't do blackface."

Being committed to anti-racism is frequent hard work and requires introspection and research, but there are some rules so easy that you really have to go out of your way to violate them.
How do you use the internet in English and not realize this fact. It's, like, a big topic, especially every year right before November.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
To be honest, I have not thought about it yet. I'm from Germany and it's not a big topic for us i think.
Bundeskanzlerin-Merkel-empfaengt-Sternsinger.jpg

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like it's never going to end :/ smh.
There's just going to be ignorant people born every single day without a decent upbringing / parenting /education that explaining to them why this is racist. And so twenty years from now, a twenty year old twitch streamer is going to do this and have the same result.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Not an American and I would know better to paint my face black in 2019, but I cannot accept the harshness people condemn the people with that do these things with no harmful intentions. In the Netherlands most of the colored people from different countries apparantly don't even understand it themselves what the fuss is all about, To me that says that we succeeded in combatting so much of the racism that there's no racism to be found in painting your face black, as it should in my opinion. And people from a different color should do the same and paint themselves white and everyone should have fun. It just shouldn't matter. I think that would be the best result. I hope we can achieve this in a few more generations time.