• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's be real. Most people don't care what happens outside of their personal space. Especially those making money of of other people paying to watching them do stuff. Can't expect everyone to know and/or understand.

Then don't expect others to give them the benefit of the doubt or twist themselves in knots trying to excuse their racism.

If you're on the internet, if you're on forums, if you are a streamer that's exposed to a worldwide audience then ignorance is a very weak excuse. And if people really cared they wouldn't be putting all their energy into defending ignorance and coming up with excuses. Not when they could sit back, listen and educate themselves instead.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Then don't expect others to give them the benefit of the doubt or twist themselves in knots trying to excuse their racism.

If you're on the internet, if you're on forums, if you are a streamer that's exposed to a worldwide audience then ignorance is a very weak excuse. And if people really cared they wouldn't be putting all their energy into defending ignorance and coming up with excuses. Not when they could sit back, listen and educate themselves instead.

THANK YOU. Well said. If you've been on this forum for even a year, you should know the deal.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
User Banned (2 Weeks:) Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding racism and ignoring staffpost
You guys bashing her isn't helping, anyone it just shows how intolerant you're while the right way to fight against any kind of discrimination is to be tolerant and accept that someone else is different from you yet has no malice to harm you whatever are your or their origins. Especially when the person apologized... It's sad...

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
You guys bashing her isn't helping, anyone it just shows how intolerant you're while the right way to fight against any kind of discrimination is to be tolerant and accept that someone else is different from you yet has no malice to harm you whatever are your or their origins. Especially when the person apologized... It's sad...

Are you forgetting that she continued posting the photos on other sites, even after being told that it was offensive?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
You just gotta be real dumb to do something like this. And then defend it no-less. But hey, she is getting her five minutes of fame I guess.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Of course racism exist here in Spain, I don't think he's saying that. But I have to agree with him that blackface hasn't been seen as a problem until very very recently. Heck, I have not heard any PoC person here in Spain complain about it (that doesn't make it right of course). I completelty understand why it can offend people, and everyone should be careful with that.

Us europeans posting here are not trying to condone blackface, but are arguing that that painting your face black is not seen as offensive by the majority of the population. Is it ignorant? Of course. Sadly it will take a long time for the majority of the european population to "get" some things that are already common knowledge in the US (eg. the N word)

As an example, this product would be seen as a nononono in the US, but it's pretty common here and not seen as a bad thing (though some of us kinda feel a bit "this is not right" about this).

Conguitos as in "little Congo people". They are chocolate thingies.
51mlEMsthUL.jpg

Do you actually know any Black Spaniards, or maybe follow black journalists on Twitter? I've been living in Spain for 2 years now (and been coming yearly for 8 years before that) and have seen Black journalists speak out on blackface every time Los Reyes Magos rolls around, the Cabalgata in Alcoy got it in the neck this year in particular. We also see Conguitos as racist imagery.

If you have a Twitter account, follow these people to see from a different perspective:

https://twitter.com/mohagerehou
https://twitter.com/desiree_bela

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I have to clarify my opinion a bit. Of course Europe is not a single person but I would argue all European benefit from the colonization of their ancestors. Again, there's a reason why all europe survive and thrive after two world wars. Do you truly believe they thrive only because they worked hard and the other region did not?
Saying ignorance is not excuse while displaying ignorance yourself. Do you know that the word slave originated from slav, the people that inhabitate eastern Europe? They've been reaved, colonized, even massacred by their rich neighbours. Also, most eastern European countries absolutely did not "thrive" after two world wars. Many of them became satellite nations of the USSR, some are still developing countries today.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like an honest mistake..
Honest mistake...
giphy.webp

iT jUsT shOWs hOw iNTOLerANt yOU arE

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Nah

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black face is fucked up, it wasn't just the US that had slaves. It isn't just the US that has racism problems and opening mocks black people.

Tired of white Europeans saying it is different than US etc. The world is racist as fuck

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If you are invoking empathy and understanding, why aren't you doing it for Black people?

Imagine someone smearing shit on your skin and saying "I look just like you". Cause this shit never looks like black people it looks like somone just smearing crap on their skin or they been in a horrible chemical accident. Imagine people seeing you as a freak or abnormal AND telling you to get over it. Or "what do you expect, there are no people like you here". Or some other bullshit.

How about a little empathy in that direction?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Do you actually know any Black Spaniards, or maybe follow black journalists on Twitter? I've been living in Spain for 2 years now (and been coming yearly for 8 years before that) and have seen Black journalists speak out on blackface every time Los Reyes Magos rolls around, the Cabalgata in Alcoy got it in the neck this year in particular. We also see Conguitos as racist imagery.

If you have a Twitter account, follow these people to see from a different perspective:

https://twitter.com/mohagerehou
https://twitter.com/desiree_bela
Have a couple of friends, but that's just my inner circle. Thanks for linking those accounts! Will have a look.

The cabalgata thing is the topic of every year. My town's been hiring an actual black person to portray baltasar for decades now, but others still do blackface...

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
''Who's the real bigot here??"

Hint: the one with the blackface on that even after being told how wrong it is still posted the photo in other places.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is from an eastern European country. She told me she would expect the people in her country to not understand why blackface is bad if asked, but that was BECAUSE racism is so ingrained there that they don't see a hugely racist action as problematic.

This is the root of why people "don't understand", not because they don't understand racism, but because they don't see the problem with racism.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying ignorance is not excuse while displaying ignorance yourself. Do you know that the word slave originated from slav, the people that inhabitate eastern Europe? They've been reaved, colonized, even massacred by their rich neighbours. Also, most eastern European countries absolutely did not "thrive" after two world wars. Many of them became satellite nations of the USSR, some are still developing countries today.
Yeah many comments in this thread are so ignorant that it hurts. Lithuanian people were enslaved multiple times by world's super powers and suffered greatly, still suffering long term consequences to this day. This country is barely 30 years old and is being mashed together in this thread along with other Western European countries who have a long history in colonization, where as Lithuania actually suffered receiving end of "colonization". Just wtf, how ignorant can you get? If you don't know anything about European history just don't post, why embarrass yourself so much.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you look at a character design like Lifeline and think "no one will know who I am unless I darken my skin" you are not only racist but also profoundly stupid.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend is from an eastern European country. She told me she would expect the people in her country to not understand why blackface is bad if asked, but that was BECAUSE racism is so ingrained there that they don't see a hugely racist action as problematic.

This is the root of why people "don't understand", not because they don't understand racism, but because they don't see the problem with racism.
What country is that? Are you sure you and your girlfriend isn't mixing up racism with nationalism? Eastern Europeans tend to be a bit nationalistic, especially older people.

This prejudice that entire Eastern Europe is racist savages is just wrong and ignorant. Simply because racism is everywhere in the world, so how do you measure that Eastern Europe is more racist than something like US or France?

For example in my country there was never any anti-race movement like KKK in the USA and there was never any notable hate-crime murder. We didn't enslave anyone. So how can you make broad claims that racism is engrained into Eastern Europeans? That's absurd.

There aren't many PoC living in my country, so because of that press often interviews them, and they usually say they suffer less racist incidents here than they did in countries like France. Go figure...

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive commentary concerning blackface
Jesus fucking christ.

She...

Didn't realize that blackface is offensive?

What?

isn't she russian? i doubt she has much exposure to the arguments against blackface

re the staff post: i don't think pointing out that eastern european countries aren't really at the forefront of issues like acceptability of blackface is excusing it either...its just not really talked about or given presence in the media so people aren't aware of the negative effects

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
isn't she russian? i doubt she has much exposure to the arguments against blackface

re the staff post: i don't think pointing out that eastern european countries aren't really at the forefront of issues like acceptability of blackface is excusing it either...its just not really talked about or given presence in the media so people aren't aware of the negative effects
Not an excuse, she literally doubled down.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What country is that? Are you sure you and your girlfriend isn't mixing up racism with nationalism? Eastern Europeans tend to be a bit nationalistic, especially older people.

This prejudice that entire Eastern Europe is racist savages is just wrong and ignorant. Simply because racism is everywhere in the world, so how do you measure that Eastern Europe is more racist than something like US or France?

For example in my country there was never any anti-race movement like KKK in the USA and there was never any notable hate-crime murder. We didn't enslave anyone. So how can you make broad claims that racism is engrained into Eastern Europeans? That's absurd.

There aren't many PoC living in my country, so because of that press often interviews them, and they usually say they suffer less racist incidents here than they did in countries like France. Go figure...
don't put words into my mouth.

I didn't say they were racist savages, or anything about EE in general, but according to her and her best friend their country is deeply racist.

She recently went there to see her family and met with three people: a cousin, a guy she knows for way back, and a long time friend. All 3 of them expressed racist opinion during conversation with her, casually, like it was nothing.

Obviously anecdotal, but I trust the opinion of my girlfriend and her friend who understand their own country.

Latvia, btw.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
So sorry mate, if your country is painting their face to celebrate then it's full of fucking idiots, your friends and family included. For some reason it's always targeting black people. You never see stereotypical insulting red paint for natives or yellow paint for Asians....
Unfortunately it has been done to all non-white races. British comedies from the sixties and seventies were full of painted white people pretending to be from the varies countries we colonized. I do not say this to diminish your point on how wrong it is (an how justifiably pissed you are), but just that all minorities have been dealing with this shit for decades.

I was watching a kids history show (Horrible Histories) with my daughter about the Mayans and they had a white guy painted up as the main character. I was stunned as donning face paint to represent minorities has been pretty much taboo in Britain for ages.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This threads very classic GAF. Brings a tear to my eye

These countries know enough about historical racism to throw bananas at black soccer players but not enough to stop blackface?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black face is always done with racist intent.
This is not always true. Case in point, I wanted brown makeup on my face to look like Hank Aaron when I was 7. I had no clue what racism was. Someone completely isolated from these things wouldn't be doing it with racist intent. I understand most of it is done with that intent.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This threads very classic GAF. Brings a tear to my eye

These countries know enough about historical racism to throw bananas at black soccer players but not enough to stop blackface?
Get outta here with this "these countries" generalization bullshit. There is racism everywhere. And I've never heard of a Lithuanian throwing banana at a black football player, show me receipts please?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Get outta here with this "these countries" generalization bullshit. There is racism everywhere. And I've never heard of a Lithuanian throwing banana at a black football player, show me receipts please?
There is far, far less concern for combating racism in certain countries. My example above, Russia, etc... many places just haven't progressed in the same way socially.

Petete

Oct 26, 2017
Of course racism exist here in Spain, I don't think he's saying that. But I have to agree with him that blackface hasn't been seen as a problem until very very recently. Heck, I have not heard any PoC person here in Spain complain about it (that doesn't make it right of course). I completelty understand why it can offend people, and everyone should be careful with that.

Us europeans posting here are not trying to condone blackface, but are arguing that that painting your face black is not seen as offensive by the majority of the population. Is it ignorant? Of course. Sadly it will take a long time for the majority of the european population to "get" some things that are already common knowledge in the US (eg. the N word)

As an example, this product would be seen as a nononono in the US, but it's pretty common here and not seen as a bad thing (though some of us kinda feel a bit "this is not right" about this).

Conguitos as in "little Congo people". They are chocolate thingies.
51mlEMsthUL.jpg

Don't forget Colacao or Morenitos (little brown people)...

31c72965e7.png

7f1e7b3bb3.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive commentary concerning blackface
Today everybody needs to be offended by everything it seems.

I don't get it, sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
Today everybody needs to be offended by everything it seems.

I don't get it, sorry.
Another one.

One, it's not up to you to decide what is offensive or who gets offended by what.

Two, your post is a display of ignorance and intolerance in its own right. The fact that you refuse to understand why blackface is offensive says everything we need to know about who you are and what you believe.

You don't get it? Educate yourself then.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Intent is not magic. I don't care if this lady did it as a show of women in northern Africa who face violent oppression for seeking education or anything like that, it's still fucking racist. If people like her want to do things that are not racist and actually support and honor the legacy of black people and their cultures across the world, then they should, like, stop with the blackface for one.

This really shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
ITT: Europe has nothing to do with racism :^D, y'all need reminders on how this shit started, huh?

Also, I've seen some Europeans saying that Lithuania is a small country and it's not used to some race issues, yeah, that's because it's a racist country, plain and simple.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/03/this...ries-in-europe-and-how-britain-ranks-6612608/

See the LT in there?

A study that ran from 2002–15 into social attitudes by Harvard University has mapped the countries in Europe with the highest incidents of racial bias, based on data from 288,076 White Europeans. It used the Implicit-association test (a reaction-based psychological test designed to measure implicit racial bias). The weakest racial bias was found in Serbia and Slovenia, and the strongest racial bias was found in the Czech Republic, Lithuania, Malta, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Portugal.

Y'all can drop this line of argument as well, because it's bullshit.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget Colacao or Morenitos (little brown people)...

31c72965e7.png

7f1e7b3bb3.png
And the old Colacao song... I get shivers. It's not racist per se (or it is), but at least heavily implies that the people farming the colacao weren't doing it for a nice pay.

Yo soy aquel negrito
del África tropical
que cultivando cantaba
la canción del Cola Cao
...(continues, but less racist)

Translation:
I'm that 'negrito' (diminutive of black person)
from the tropical part of Africa
that while farming was singing
the Cola Cao's song
...(continues, but less racist)

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Other than to point out that her actions were racist, regardless of intent, what else is there to discuss here? There's a possible explanation of ignorance, which doesn't excuse what she did, but hopefully means the experience will serve as a lesson for her. If people can't learn from their mistakes, they won't change for the better and nobody benefits.