• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great site for checking your twitch bitrate

https://inspector.twitch.tv/#//

There is also a max limit that non partnered streamers can stream at too, so it's pointless aiming for really high numbers. My bitrate is 3500 and my streams are 720p60.

Last edited:

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I've had such an awesome few last streams. Random hosts out of nowhere from Resetera streamers, lots of new people coming into the chat and actually hanging out...I've been hanging in a couple streams and saying hi, and it's been super fun to see some stuff that I never would have thought of streaming before turn out to be super entertaining. Ya'll are doing an awesome job.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great site for checking your twitch bitrate

https://inspector.twitch.tv/#//

There is also a max limit that non partnered streamers can stream at too, so it's pointless aiming for really high numbers. My bitrate is 3500.

The non partnered thing is a bit of a myth, twitch doesn't actually do anything to stop you from streaming at a bitrate of your choice (also 3500 was the old 'intended guideline' from twitch and they've since increased it to 6000).

Edit: For anyone looking for additional info.
https://stream.twitch.tv/encoding/

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The non partnered thing is a bit of a myth, twitch doesn't actually do anything to stop you from streaming at a bitrate of your choice (also 3500 was the old 'intended guideline's from twitch and they've since increased it to 6000).

While the bitrate limitations are no longer in play due to upgrades to their overall network capacity, the variable bitrate options prioritize partners and affiliates, with dynamic scaling for everyone else once you hit certain thresholds.

What this means is, that even though you can stream at 6mbps, not everyone will be able to watch your stream unless the lower quality options are available, so smaller streamers can sometimes "lock out" potential viewers because on their end the stream is just stuttering or stuck trying to load / buffer enough for playback.

Just something to keep in mind!

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
While the bitrate limitations are no longer in play due to upgrades to their overall network capacity, the variable bitrate options prioritize partners and affiliates, with dynamic scaling for everyone else once you hit certain thresholds.

What this means is, that even though you can stream at 6mbps, not everyone will be able to watch your stream unless the lower quality options are available, so smaller streamers can sometimes "lock out" potential viewers because on their end the stream is just stuttering or stuck trying to load / buffer enough for playback.

Just something to keep in mind!
Yeah definitely, my main reason for streaming with 6k is I mainly want decent quality vods to export to yt :p

OldGit_Gamer

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, UK.
For the new page (till OP can add it in).

Discord up for us streamers.

*quote post for link*

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
I have 16 gigs of ram and the graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 mem. CPU is a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache. I think my internet connection is ok, but I'll double check that. Thanks!

Have you tried potentially offloading your streaming to the GPU instead of streaming with your CPU? I had similar issues a few months (maybe a year and change) ago when I was trying to stream using the CPU/x264 encoder at the veryfast setting, so I swapped to the GPU based encoder and haven't looked back since. I ask this specifically since your specs look somewhat similar to mine:

Intel Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.50GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon M290X 4GB GDDR5

The biggest issue with this method though is that you need a lot more bit rate to match x264 at certain quality levels (x264 is better for image quality at lower bit rates while the GPU based encoder is able to compete at higher bit rates). I currently stream at a 6000kbps norm, but I often find myself wishing if my CPU didn't take such strains with streaming at a decent encoding setting (very fast or fast) so I could use less bit rate for the sake of my viewers.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that would be super helpful! What should the bit rate be at? I think mine is currently set to 2500.

Here are my settings as promised, there's not really much to them. I also turned off 'Automatically Record Whilst Streaming' in General. Back when I had a 2600k I'd use 'veryfast' for cpu and Profile at 'main'

settingsero3g.png

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Have you tried potentially offloading your streaming to the GPU instead of streaming with your CPU? I had similar issues a few months (maybe a year and change) ago when I was trying to stream using the CPU/x264 encoder at the veryfast setting, so I swapped to the GPU based encoder and haven't looked back since. I ask this specifically since your specs look somewhat similar to mine:

Intel Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.50GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon M290X 4GB GDDR5

The biggest issue with this method though is that you need a lot more bit rate to match x264 at certain quality levels (x264 is better for image quality at lower bit rates while the GPU based encoder is able to compete at higher bit rates). I currently stream at a 6000kbps norm, but I often find myself wishing if my CPU didn't take such strains with streaming at a decent encoding setting (very fast or fast) so I could use less bit rate for the sake of my viewers.

huh, haven't tried that yet, that's good to know. I'll take a look to see if that would run better for me. Thanks.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
ERA handle: DAREALGUMMY
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/darealgummy
Games/genres played: I usually play a lot of Friday the 13th but I'm probably going to switch to Monster Hunter World. I usually play horrible nes games for an hour during Halloween. I usually like playing anything of interest to me (Tekken 7, Fallout games, Nioh, Resident Evil series) and don't like to stick to one genre.
Stream times: Usually from around 6-8 PM PST to 12am
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/TheLowLevelGamer
Anything that you want ERA to know about you: I'm a film/graphic design student. Mid 30's. Been gaming since I can remember. I don't really have a gimmick like screaming, reactions or making jokes all the time. I tend to be more grounded and chill with my streams. I'm trying to do more on Twitch than Youtube (obviously now) and hoping to put more focus in to it very soon. Building a PC this year so hopefully I can have better production vales and equipment.

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Just noticed our YouTube passed 6300 subs...that's like a 50 sub increase this week alone so it must be from here. Twitch followers are still coming in too. Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to go through again and check out the channels I missed.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I passed 300 followers today on Twitch, which I'm assuming you guys helped accomplish. Much appreciated.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for all the support. I'm two followers from 100 and been live for around 3 weeks. Onwards and upwards :)

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
The non partnered thing is a bit of a myth, twitch doesn't actually do anything to stop you from streaming at a bitrate of your choice (also 3500 was the old 'intended guideline' from twitch and they've since increased it to 6000).

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea they changed their encoding policy. Being able to stream at 1080p 60fps is great!

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm really close to affiliate status and had record high viewers last night. Also my FFV stream was a lot of fun! Hope people keep tuning in.

Still following every single person that posts their twitch channel in this thread!

Hupfen

Oct 27, 2017
I hit 53 followers now thanks to ERA and I'm only needing avg of 3 viewers now to get to affiliate.

The viewership average was my hard part. My friend happened to raid me, with a dozen viewers, so that bumped me up.

Especially since I didn't stream for a week after that. Couldn't drag it down with bad streams. XD

n3rdstreet

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks again for all the support so far. Got all my numbers except for one more follower and should be an affiliate. Happy to be this far along already.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
ERA Handle: Freshmaker
Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/thefirstmarginal
Games/Genre played: Fighting games, (Mostly Soulcalibur stuff) other stuff I feel like streaming.
Stream times: Erratic (work changes things up constantly so I can't do a set schedule)
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/marginalsc

I play a lot of Soulcalibur V and I've dabbled with PS3 emulation of Soulcalibur IV recently. I also enjoy beat 'em ups like Double Dragon and the Capcom D&D games and that new River City Ransom game etc though apparently nobody wants to watch those.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Question:
I have streamlabs OBS, and I use an Elgato to capture from my PS4. But anytime I use headphones (via the headphone jack from my ps4 controller) the game audio and chat doesn't come through to the game stream.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the headphone jack on the controller is it's own audio source, not sure if you can capture that honestly.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Our podcast (Super the Hardest) streams games from time to time. One of the themes we do is "Grown Ass Men Play Scary Games".

Find it here: twitch.tv/MojoMenace

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Question:
I have streamlabs OBS, and I use an Elgato to capture from my PS4. But anytime I use headphones (via the headphone jack from my ps4 controller) the game audio and chat doesn't come through to the game stream.

Believe it's a different source. Streaming from PS4 directly to Twitch I believe takes that source and mixes it with game audio as well as your party's audio.

I haven't personally tried this myself, but try making sure that game and party output is set to monitor. Perhaps that might make a difference.

Err0rsy

Oct 29, 2017
KY
I'm mostly a new streamer; but I'm trying to get to 50 followers and it would be excellent to make a small job from this. I enjoy streaming for the most part, its just difficult to set a schedule with the way my full-time job is. But anyone is welcome to drop in and say hello!

ERA handle: err0rsy
Twitch channel: twitch.tv/err0rsy
Games/genres played: Mostly MP stuff (Overwatch, BF1, PUBG), but I have been including some of my backlog SP stuff. Right now, streaming RE6 so I can get to RE7 finally. It's long overdue.
Stream times: No specific time set (3rd shift full-time job kind of makes it awkward)
Youtube channel: none associated with the twitch channel just yet.
Anything that you want ERA to know about you: I have several friends that are on ERA and one of which streams frequently who just hit affiliate status. twitch.tv/bloodwakelive ; I'm a ridiculous IT nerd from Kentucky with an accent. It's odd.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After reading a few threads revolving around Twitch, I've realized that there are a quite a few folks who like to stream. I'm guessing that since most of us are like minded people, there is a possibility that we might enjoy watching each other

So, please list your twitch channel here and preferably in the following format:

ERA handle:
Twitch channel: (full url)
Games/genres played:
Stream times: (with time zone)
Youtube channel: (if applicable)
Anything that you want ERA to know about you:

Happy streaming!

Devs, please feel free to list your game here if you want ERA Twitch-ers to stream it.

Additionally, if you have any tech streaming related issues - ask away!

List of ERA streamers:

Norwegian Imposter

www.twitch.tv/norwegian_imposter

I play all sorts of games, I do this not for a business decision but more of a "I live in a different country to my family and friends so lets chill and kick back"

After 6PM Central Europe Time

Norwegian Imposter on Youtube but not posted much

I just want guys to have a laugh with. Feel free to follow. I am Norge_Imposter on Twitter too :D I am currently recovering from depression which is wiping me out so not been on for a while but I am gonna try some more.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA handle: AAMARMO
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/aamarmo
Games/genres played: I play a mixture of games/genres, however, I will most likely play Action, Platformers, and First Person Shooters on stream.
Stream times: Currently not consistent but will be planning a Timetable next week. (BST)

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
ERA handle:Tsunamo

Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/tsunamo

Games/genres played: I mostly play whatever new releases i'm interested in, Platformers, JRPG's, Action games etc. but I play a variety of genres and whatever new releases I pickup.

Last year I played BOTW, Wonderboy The Dragons Trap, Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and 2.8, Splatoon 2, Cuphead, and Super Mario Odyssey to give some examples.

Stream times: I've been taking a break for a littlebit due to personal stuff coming up lately and wanting to get some better equipment for streaming, but when I do I try to start streaming a few days of the week at around 11PM-1AM AWST and play for a few hours each stream. (I try to keep it to that time for folks who watch in other countries and I usually play games late at night anyway)

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/washi95

Anything that you want ERA to know about you: While I do variety streaming when I get new releases, since last year i've gotten into speedrunning and enjoyed that a whole lot, so that's my primary focus on Twitch currently. I'm learning Kingdom Hearts games and also speedrun Super Mario Odyssey and Cuphead. Also my qualitys a little bad due to awful internet, but it seems like later in the year i'll have a better upload speed to improve it.
I'm also planning to give my youtube channel a bit of a rebranding soon and do why you should watch/play x show/anime/movies/game videos.

Anything that you want ERA to know about you: I don't know how to build viewership on my channel, usually I'm streaming for 0 viewers.. would love any advice anyone has on getting established.
Twitch is pretty hard to find your audience/get a viewership honestly, and depending on what type of streamer you are it can be extremely tough. Sometimes folks come for a certain game and don't stick around, sometimes you can tackle a popular game and be left in a position of not being seen there over streamers with more viewers. The best thing to do is join and interact with some Twitch communitys centered around the games you play or people you know, and they might join and interact with you and your streams or even host you from time to time. I've made so many friends since i've started streaming who have been kind enough to come to watch me, and I enjoy watching them and popping into their streams too.

You're now a part of the Era community for example, so you just made streamer friends from here :)

Last edited:

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So partly because of this thread, I tried out PS4's built in broadcast - and the way that it shrinks the screen to accommodate the side bar makes it totally unusable for me lol.

Is there any way to change that, or would I just have to go full-blown capture to avoid that?

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
So partly because of this thread, I tried out PS4's built in broadcast - and the way that it shrinks the screen to accommodate the side bar makes it totally unusable for me lol.

Is there any way to change that, or would I just have to go full-blown capture to avoid that?

Full blown capture.

The way PS4 does it is essentially doing their own OBS format to include comments made from people watching on PlayStation consoles and offer a space for PlayStation Eye connectivity first and foremost. Even when you're broadcasting to Twitch or YouTube it doesn't send out a separate feed. It's just the same one that's also being broadcast on PS Live.

The interesting thing is any comments made via Twitch or You Tube chat will show up on the side panel of the screen.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Full blown capture.

The way PS4 does it is essentially doing their own OBS format to include comments made from people watching on PlayStation consoles and offer a space for PlayStation Eye connectivity first and foremost. Even when you're broadcasting to Twitch or YouTube it doesn't send out a separate feed. It's just the same one that's also being broadcast on PS Live.

The interesting thing is any comments made via Twitch or You Tube chat will show up on the side panel of the screen.

Thank you for the info!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My mic is seperate. I have plugged in via USB to my ps4. This is a problem?

That link you were given about the Elgato Chat Link says the following

USB Connection

A headset that plugs into the PS4 using USB Only will not have a workaround.

It doesn't matter if the headset is wired or wireless - USB Only headsets won't be able to transmit audio to an Elgato Gaming device.

OldGit_Gamer

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, UK.

Use a laptop/mobile to view your twitch chat via the Web page or the app the run the ps4 broadcast full screen.

Oct 27, 2017
ERA handle: Optional Objectives
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/optionalobjectives
Games/Genres Played: Indies (Cosmic Star Heroine, Downwell, Galak-Z), ARPGs (The Witcher, Bloodborne, Let it Die), Puyo Puyo Tetris, Horror (Evil Within, SOMA, Alien Isolation)
Stream Times: Late PST, when I feel like it.

I don't tend to talk while streaming, do my talking on a podcast and over on twitter (https://www.twitter.com/opobjectives). I'm a sociologist, hang with an artist, and we talk sometimes about games past and present. I like to remember and potentially misremember things about games that I played a while ago, redescribe games based on plot and mechanics, that kind of thing.

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that there's a fork of OBS done by Streamlabs which is supposed to be much more user friendly, so I downloaded it, and it appears to be way easier to set things up, but I hear the CPU usage is higher on this version. Does anyone here use it and have any opinions about it?

Also, I've gone over 80 followers from 24 just because of this thread. I've had an amazing time talking to people that pop in from time to time. It's great!

I must be going insane, but is your twitch link going to me? I clicked on it to follow you but the page went to my own twitch channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.