• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch has previewed a new feature that will allow the platform's content creators to share a list of banned users with fellow streamers, according to a report by Zach Bussey.

Blocking and suspensions have been a crucial part of Twitch streamers' safety tool kits since the website's inception. In the streaming service's nearly 12-year tenure, Twitch has significantly grown its safety functionality, adding services such as AutoMod, keyword bans, chat restrictions, and more.

Within the shared ban list, users can label banned users with tags such as "suspicious user" or "serial harasser." By naming accounts as "possible ban evader," streamers can help each other avoid users attempting to circumvent channel-specific bans.

The shared ban feature is still in its developmental phase, with only a select few content creators able to use the function at this time. Should the new system integrate well into the website, users can likely expect to see it implemented in the near future.

https://dotesports.com/streaming/news/upcoming-shared-ban-feature-twitch

The concept seems solid but we'll see how the actual implementation is rolled out. Lotta people about to be banned across the entire site lmao.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I almost refuse to believe Twitch did something good for once

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it could be something really useful.

They mention labeling someone as "possible ban evader" but doesn't Twitch have IP ban that acts as a shadow ban for new accounts? Oh, maybe it is specifically for people who might be using VPN or something.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Smart idea, one of those things were you go "Huh... why didn't we think of this before."

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen streamers ban over some pretty petty shit. The trolls are just going to do their thing and make new accounts.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Some of this seems like stuff Twitch should be doing on their end. If someone is a "serial harasser" shouldn't they catch a site-wide ban from an admin?

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Good but won't change anything. They can make new accounts over and over

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Some streamer groups already have this, makes sense to have it as a native feature.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't do global bans before? Seems like a basic thing?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They didn't do global bans before? Seems like a basic thing?
They do, but this allows you to share a list of banned users from your chat with others. So if you have a group of other Twitch streamers you often play with you can now choose to share those lists among each other to ensure the people banned in your friend's chat is also banned in your chat.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
This is a great idea although I can see it going wrong. Say you have a terrible/toxic streamer and someone in that person's chat calls that person out for it. Terrible/toxic streamer (let's just call them BarkTideSill) makes up crap and shares their ban user with other streamers. That person, who on every other stream, doesn't cause problems but find they can't get in now to other streams.

Hopefully though, it'll get terrible people off Twitch.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This actually sounds pretty good to me. It could be intentionally misused, sure, but I can't imagine how that wouldn't be a risk among literally every ban system.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great idea although I can see it going wrong. Say you have a terrible/toxic streamer and someone in that person's chat calls that person out for it. Terrible/toxic streamer (let's just call them BarkTideSill) makes up crap and shares their ban user with other streamers. That person, who on every other stream, doesn't cause problems but find they can't get in now to other streams.

Just don't share lists with dumbasses.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Just don't share lists with dumbasses.
As far as I know, a lot of professional streamers network. What I imagine would happen is that the lists will tend to get divided among which subsets of streamers want to associate. I'd imagine that chuds will probably more often stick to lists for chuds rather than try to sneak in with lists for more progressive streamers.

I don't think people would want to be in the same clique as BarkTideSill unless they feel that that's how you play.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this will lead to no one challenging a popular streamer for shit behavior cause who would want to be banned in all the top streams. Will just turn chats into an echo chamber.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

BarkTideSill streams on YouTube though.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The shared ban list is one small thing that was quickly shown during a formal stream that announced a few other features today.

Guest Star which when launched later this year will allow people to join the stream straight from chat using Twitch as an interface bypassing Discord or Ping.

Channel Switcher which changes the category interface to let you preview up to one minute of a stream with no ads and without loading the stream's dedicated page.

And finally custom tags so that communities can write their own tags for things such as specific type of speedruns, etc. The search engine on Twitch will be updated to read these tags when the custom tags launch.