• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you care about the donations made by brands you use?

• Yes

Votes: 1,260 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 197 11.4%
  • I care but won’t change consuming behavior over it

Votes: 278 16.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Individuals donating to a politician isn't enough reason for me to boycott anything, sorry. There are shitty people working at basically every large corporation in America, and it would be impossible to boycott everything remotely tied in with things I don't like.

Now if the company as a whole supports shitty practices (or shows a repeated trend of doing shitty things) or favors supporting just the GOP instead of donating to both parties like many companies do, that would be enough.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Given how crazy and intense this forum can get with dieting, exercise and whatnot, I'm really surprised at the amount of people who are avid fans of the shit that these chains sell.

More of a reason to tell them to fuck off.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I care but at some point it becomes really hard to avoid every company that does this kind of shit.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not usually for these sorts of things but contributing to get Trump reelected in the year of our lord 2019 is really fucking insane after all we have gone through the last 3 years, all aboard this fucking train.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I can easily cut any of those out of my life as I don't eat fast food often aside from the Wendy's dollar menu. Goodbye Frosties. Also, I only read Image, Dark Horse and sometimes Boom! so get fucked Marvel.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
These companies are going to be hurting hard in profits once this is all revealed to the public, including Chick-Fil-A.

Don't know if Hardee's counts, as they're the Carl's Jr. here on the east coast.

Mahkor

Alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just buy local produce and cook your meals, I'm sure all those farmers and bleeding heart liberals.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Stop trying to prevent people from joining the Cancel train.
If anything, it means less people ahead of me in line when I want something to eat. So I'm all for more people barely skimming a few lines of the OP and the original tweets and deciding to boycott all of those places. We on the left are just as free as the right is to operate off of misinformation and incorrect conclusions/assumptions.

Last edited:

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
These companies are going to be hurting hard in profits once this is all revealed to the public, including Chick-Fil-A.

Don't know if Hardee's counts, as they're the Carl's Jr. here on the east coast.
Lolno, people been in the fuck Chick-Fil-A train for literally years now but they are more popular and expanding faster than ever. These corporate boycotts don't really work, they just make folks feel better about themselves. My stance, focus your activism on causes and actions that actually matter and make a real difference.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see a thread with "Twitter" as the first word I immediately know there is going to be a few pages of people being upset and then the next few pages of posters figuring out that what was said was not 100% true.

Every. Fucking. Time.
fake outrage generator most of the time and people just can't wait to get their licks in

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017

All of this stuff was revealed to the public the first time Trump ran for presidency. This isn't new info, and it won't hurt them all that much

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Is anyone shocked major companies are backing someone giving them huge tax breaks and shit like really? I don't think the companies are racist they just like the money they get to stash away
That's not the point though. Boycott the companies, and they stop helping Trump. This helps cripple him.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at Marvel.

Does it mean we'll get much less Marvel threads here? I'm fine with it, btw.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Well, this makes me happy I never eat in fast food chains. Americans and their love of fast food is honestly worrying. Go eat something that tastes good at long last, idk, at least you won't be funding Alt-right people doing so. Does it show that I'm French? Maybe so.

He's been known for a while and isn't really involved with the movies.

Doesn't mean he doesn't benefit from them. Which would be the pinnacle of hypocrisy. Financially benefiting from movies trying to be vaguely progressive and being applauded for being vaguely progressive by progressive people, all the while being alt-right himself.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point though. Boycott the companies, and they stop helping Trump. This helps cripple him.
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen. These people still have millions if not billions and will support the conservatives assuming a boycott even hurts them at all(see the Chick Fil-A example being brought up).

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all crazy with these corporate boycotts.

Vast majority of rural America supports Trump.

Let's say you boycott any restaurant that has ever supported him in a shape or form. This will likely force you to eat a home.

Shop at grocery stores? Owners may have supported him. How about local farmers to skip the store. Likely the same.

I guess you will just starve.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
So we are at the point of cancelling companies who have workers who donated to Trump. What will you do if someone in the company you work for donated to Trump? Not an exec, Jane from accounting down the hall. Chick-fil-A, the hate filled demagogue of this board donated only 400 dollars less to Bernie Sanders than it did to Trump

And has been said most of these are franchises. All you are doing is hurting local business owners that more likely than not support the same things you do since most of this board does not live in rural America

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I'm not sure if this against the rules, but I'm bumping this. Sorry in advance.

I saw the discussion about brands and PR and felt this was relevant today.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who says it's impossible to boycott so many companies has clearly never tried. I'm not even American and I'll boycott the shit out of any company trying to get that shitheel in the white house re-elected.

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who says it's impossible to boycott so many companies has clearly never tried. I'm not even American and I'll boycott the shit out of any company trying to get that shitheel in the white house re-elected.
I went from 2013 to 2019 without spending any money at McDonald's. I think if I REALLY wanted to I could cut out everything on the OP's twitter list.

Also I'm fat as fuck so if I can do it the rest of ya'll can too. I'm going to do what little I can by not giving my hard earned money to people that want me and my family dead.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

I went from 2013 to 2019 without spending any money at McDonald's. I think if I REALLY wanted to I could cut out everything on the OP's twitter list.

Also I'm fat as fuck so if I can do it the rest of ya'll can too. I'm going to do what little I can by not giving my hard earned money to people that want me and my family dead.

Again, this thread and this app and the tweet in the OP dangerously misrepresent what these reports actually say and do.

The SEC, the Security and Exchange Commission, tracks political contributions and one of the stats it tracks is the contributor's place of employment.

These contributions do not necessarily reflect the values or beliefs of the entire organization. These contributions are also typically small.

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And inversely anyone who says it's possible has also clearly never tried. It is literally impossible as almost every company has donated to conservative interests and candidates. To be fair most companies donate to both sides in various percentages because they're trying to ride the lines and placate everyone to serve their best interests.
If you actually tried, you wouldn't be able to use a computer, phone, airplane, car, eat, etc. Try not using GE, or Johnson and Johnson products..what about banks? All of them donate to conservatives. The list is endless and it's physically impossible.
www.google.com

The 30 Fortune 500 companies that have thrown the most money at Republicans and Democrats in the last decade

These Fortune 500 companies' employees donated a ton of money to Republicans and Democrats over the past decade.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
And inversely anyone who says it's possible has also clearly never tried. It is literally impossible as almost every company has donated to conservative interests and candidates. To be fair most companies donate to both sides in various percentages because they're trying to ride the lines and placate everyone to serve their best interests.
If you actually tried, you wouldn't be able to use a computer, phone, airplane, car, eat, etc. Try not using GE, or Johnson and Johnson products..what about banks? All of them donate to conservatives. The list is endless and it's physically impossible.
www.google.com

The 30 Fortune 500 companies that have thrown the most money at Republicans and Democrats in the last decade

These Fortune 500 companies' employees donated a ton of money to Republicans and Democrats over the past decade.

Again, these are individual contributions.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone provide the opposite, a list of companies that dont support the GOP? Would be a lot easier to boycott the bad if we have clear alternatives

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i could easily say i'm gonna boycott the companies in the op tweet but that would be cheating since i don't buy stuff from them. carls jr is the only one i can say i've bought stuff from but i only ever eat there maybe once every two months. i can easily dump them.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone provide the opposite, a list of companies that dont support the GOP? Would be a lot easier to boycott the bad if we have clear alternatives

That likely doesn't exist. Corporate PACs donate to a variety of people and causes and, again, the SEC tracks individual contributions. I would not waste any time with trying to find a company that exists that did not hire a single Republican.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
That likely doesn't exist. Corporate PACs donate to a variety of people and causes and, again, the SEC tracks individual contributions. I would not waste any time with trying to find a company that exists that did not hire a single Republican.
Understood, this is why I feel a list of those who just support Democrats would be much more helpful. So many of these companies donate everywhere, just to cover their bases. There are some explicitly right-wing companies I avoid (Arbys, Chikfila, Hobby Lobby, In n Out), I assume there must be some explicitly left as well?

Dormammu

Banned
May 20, 2020
Baja Blast from Taco Bell. Chocolate Frosty from Wendy's. Marvel Cinematic Universe. That's a no from me dawg.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Waffle House wtf you were built on the backs of black people! Well, I guess America was too so this is kinda par the course. Still disappointed