• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you care about the donations made by brands you use?

• Yes

Votes: 1,260 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 197 11.4%
  • I care but won’t change consuming behavior over it

Votes: 278 16.0%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This college student sort of got the ball rolling in my feed:

Which led to promo of this app that tracks brands and their political donations (it kind of annoyingly doesn't take sides but oh well, we stan Vote With Me for standing up for something):

Goods Unite Us - Open Politics by Goods Unite Us Inc.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goods-unite-us-open-politics/id1295147058

Some celebs have jumped in:

So what brands do you know are supporting bigots?

EDIT: Let me add this post since it's fair to note employee culture here
Just as a point of order, keep in mind that these contributions are aggregated from the FEC data, which reports donors' occupations and employers. As OpenSecrets says:

The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.

That's how you get, for example, "Chick-Fil-A" donating $3,518 to Trump, $3,134 to Sanders, and $2 to Nanette Barragan. In fact, if you dig in to the data, all but $10k of "Chick-FIl-A's" 2016 donations were from individuals. And if I'm reading the FEC report on the "Georgians First Fund" correctly, that $10k appears to be a PAC for Dan Cathy that didn't actually distribute any of it's money to candidates.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I go to literally none of those places, thankfully.

Surprised at coachella lol

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone shocked major companies are backing someone giving them huge tax breaks and shit like really? I don't think the companies are racist they just like the money they get to stash away

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This college student sort of got the ball rolling in my feed:

Which led to promo of this app that tracks brands and their political donations (it kind of annoyingly doesn't take sides but oh well, we stan Vote With Me for standing up for something):

Goods Unite Us - Open Politics by Goods Unite Us Inc.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/goods-unite-us-open-politics/id1295147058

Some celebs have jumped in:

So what brands do you know are supporting bigots?

It is pretty impossible to avoid every doing business with a company that has shitty people in leadership.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I'm not helping trump by buying a Big Mac in the UK am I? That's going to be a serious internal conflict if so!

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I care but i'd be surprised if most do considering the support Chik fil A still receives not just as a donor, but as an active participant against LGBTQ folk.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
taco bell!?!?!

source.gif

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to boycott them but I already never use them. Fast food is trash, eat some carrots and almonds instead.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This just proves that A: Corporations will shill for anyone willing to give them tax breaks and B: Because of A, we should not be allowing corporations any say by donating to politicians.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

Hey, while everyone seems to be on this Equinox thing, it might be a good time to mention that one of Trump's largest financial contributors is the chairman of Marvel Entertainment (Isaac Perlmutter)..... jussayin.
— Armie Hammer (@armiehammer) August 9, 2019
Marvel Entertainment, chaired by Isaac Perlmutter, runs the Television, Comics, Animation and Games divisions. (A separate entity from Marvel Studios, which handles the films (and a few upcoming TV series).)
In August 2018 non-profit news organization ProPublica reported that Trump had informally authorized three members of his Mar-a-Lago club to direct policy at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and issue instructions to Secretary of Veterans Affairs Peter O'Rourke. Perlmutter was named among the three.[22] The author of the article obtained "hundreds of documents" through the Freedom of Information Act that show the three were in daily contact with the agency, "reviewing all manner of policy and personnel decisions" and that "they prodded the VA to start new programs, and officials travelled to Mar-a-Lago at taxpayer expense to hear their views."[22]
He has continued donating, recently giving $360,000—the maximum amount—to Trump's reelection campaign. He has also appeared with Trump at press conferences and at the U.S. Central Command Headquarters.
Perlmutter and his wife have donated almost $600,000 to Trump's presidential campaign in 2019, according to Federal Election Commission records. The Perlmutters also regularly donate to conservative causes.
And this was weird:
Perlmutter takes great pride in never having given an interview over his entire career despite being in the public eye due to his many court battles and bankruptcy fights.[3] He has rarely been spontaneously photographed.[3][21][17]

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is anyone shocked major companies are backing someone giving them huge tax breaks and shit like really? I don't think the companies are racist they just like the money they get to stash away
That's great, when Republicans were dog whistle racist. Now they're full blown white nationalists.

If I was VP level at any of these places I'd be like yo, there's more people that don't support these things than do, let's market to that affect. We can afford to lose them.

I'd then be fired but at least I said it.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a customer at the current companies listed, but I also understand that if an industry monopoly for your area supported this administration, then you don't have a lot of choices.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I was like, "Yup, I'll not buy from all of those." Then I realized that all my local farmers are Trump supporters as well. So... Is there even a point? I don't know what I could do?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Goddammit Wendy's.

No surprise about Perlmutter. Guy sounds like scum from what I heard.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
and that these companies donating to fascism and white supremacy.
Oh they certainly are, but it's 100% (okay, maybe 90%) a side thing for them. If Warren ran on a platform of zero taxes for corporations because "they make jobs" they'd jump just as fast over there. It's cut and dry, they view these donations as an investment that will allow them more profits in the long term.

It's just as gross, and the results are just as bad... but it's less directly motivated by hate than say, Chik Fila when it donates to anti-gay 'charities' since that is 100% their only function, and there is no direct benefit to their business.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Assigning individual contributions to their employer is bullshit and completely meaningless.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone should use this as an excuse to finally stop spending money on shit Marvel movies lol

Jun 17, 2019
I was like, "Yup, I'll not buy from all of those." Then I realized that all my local farmers are Trump supporters as well. So... Is there even a point? I don't know what I could do?
You're not going to beat Trump or the Republicans by boycotting him, no. The best case scenario, you might get enough people to boycott that maybe a couple of those corporations stop donating to Trump directly, but you probably can't stop them from donating to Republicans entirely.

Meanwhile, even if you don't put your dollars towards them, you're just as likely going to be putting money towards another corporation that's doing something equally fucked up, like exploiting foreign labor and resources in completely egregious ways.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Of the initial list Wendy's and Waffle House were the only ones I visited with any amount of frequency. I've been trying to make my own meals lately and I guess I have all that much more reason to keep it up now.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of these will be easy enough to walk away from except for Marvel and Pizza Hut. I'm still yet to find someone who out pizzas them.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Assigning individual contributions to their employer is bullshit and completely meaningless.
I came to see if this is what happened, and agree that if this list is that, it's stupid. If it's founders, etc then yes I see... But just employees is meaningless, stupid and dangerous