• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Twitter wanted RT to spend big ahead of the 2016 US election, offering a significant portion of its election-related ad inventory in return. The social media company offered the Russian state–owned television network up to a 15% share of voice ("SOV") on US election advertising — or the percent of all ads run on that topic — for $3 million.

sub-buzz-29949-1509508375-1.png

RT's share of voice was 2% at the time of the pitch, according to a June 2016 email from a Twitter sales executive to RT staff members that RT shared with BuzzFeed News. The $3 million spent would multiply RT's share of voice more than sevenfold, but still leave it short of CNN's 56% and FOX's 32%. RT declined the offer.

After courting RT's ad dollars during the 2016 election, Twitter reversed course last week when it said it would prohibit accounts owned by the network from advertising on its platform: "This decision was based on the retrospective work we've been doing around the 2016 U.S. election and the U.S. intelligence community's conclusion that both RT and Sputnik attempted to interfere with the election on behalf of the Russian government."

RT may no longer be a Twitter customer now, as the company made clear at the hearings, but not long ago it was a multimillion-dollar sales prospect.

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkantro...us-elections?utm_term=.gf9Lza28Z0#.qu2zyERX1r

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want to offer so much of your platform to a foreign power during an election.

I don't get this shit. It looks now like they see it was a bad decision and they're trying to save face by no longer allowing ads from RT but the damage has already been done.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
In Soviet Russian, tweets post you..
But, being a corporation, I don't think Twitter is forbidden to deal with foreign powers. Not that I like seeing the platform being used as propaganda... This is why critical thinking should be taught aggressively in schools, so that young impressionable minds can think for themselves instead of just « LOL, memes... »

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
In Soviet Russian, tweets post you..
But, being a corporation, I don't think Twitter is forbidden to deal with foreign powers. Not that I like seeing the platform being used as propaganda... This is why critical thinking should be taught aggressively in schools, so that young impressionable minds can think for themselves instead of just « LOL, memes... »
Or maybe corporations should be heavily regulated instead of throwing your arms in the air while saying ''free market'', like that excuses everything.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Another trash tier company, along with Facebook. I hope something else comes and destroys them both.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to prosecute Jack and Mark? I don't know a lot about America's legal system but helping Russia's trolls to influence the election has to mean something.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Another trash tier company, along with Facebook. I hope something else comes and destroys them both.

Both of them are either playing dumb or in way over their heads with this "we're merely social media platforms" bullshit. As if ignorance of the effects of their actions absolves them from blame or liability. I hope Congress goes in hard on both of them sooner or later.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter saw the Russian interference with the US election not as a dangerous portend but as a growth opportunity. They actively courted that interference. They appear to be just as complicit as the Republicans.

If this is really how it went down, then each and every single person involved (including those in the know who said nothing) should be fired.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter saw the Russian interference with the US election not as a dangerous portend but as a growth opportunity. They actively courted that interference. They appear to be just as complicit as the Republicans.

If this is really how it went down, then each and every single person involved (including those in the know who said nothing) should be fired.

Agreed

I wish this was considered treason

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want to offer so much of your platform to a foreign power during an election.

I don't get this shit. It looks now like they see it was a bad decision and they're trying to save face by no longer allowing ads from RT but the damage has already been done.

tenor.gif

Seriously fuck Dorsey and fuck Zuckerberg. Those two pretty much sold the entire country to Russia.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They did it all for money. Although that doesn't seem like much money. And looks like appalling judgement in hindsight.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rake them over the coals and heavily fine them, specifically those at the top positions out of their personal pockets.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Because: ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽ ₽

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap that's bad.
Can they seriously pull all this crap, continue fucking with the US election and bear absolutely no consequences?

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is standard ad sales practice. Media outlets have teams devoted to sell though advertising space, and pitching ad inventory is their job. Otherwise it's failed quarterly targets, running house ads (which make no money) and likely employees with families losing their jobs. Ad sales is brutal.

Election season is a money-grab free for all and every media outlet sales team will have been pitching for the same business. It will not have been a political statement.

But: Any platform with Twitter's viral influence should be held accountable to a higher standard. Hopefully in retrospect their revenue team will be more mindful of this.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Now it makes sense why Twitter consistently turns a blind eye to one individual's violation of Условия использования.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Right?

What is their damned excuse?

I imagine getting questioned for this news story was the reason behind this:

Even then, they fail to admit culpability

It's like they think they're all just sitting here with us, watching this thing they created being used for nefarious purposes, and saying "yeah, someone should look into this." As if they wash their hands of the entire thing as soon as it's out into the world.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fucking twitter. I'm convinced that Trump wouldn't be President right now if they had just banned him from the platform.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
What i find funny in all this is that Facebook and Twitter are stuck between claiming their advertising doesn't work by saying the influence of the tens (hundreds?) of million people who saw the Russian bought ads was negligible, or claiming that their advertising is effective but then they cant deny the influence these ads played.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Putin's Invisible Hand.

I don't have a FB account but i am pretty angry at Twitter for this. and i'm not even American.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
What i find funny in all this is that Facebook and Twitter are stuck between claiming their advertising doesn't work by saying the influence of the tens (hundreds?) of million people who saw the Russian bought ads was negligible, or claiming that their advertising is effective but then they cant deny the influence these ads played.

"We honestly didn't think people read that stuff, but at the same time we wanted money."

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine traveling back in time to Reagan-era US and trying to explain the current situation to officials and intelligence.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all. There had to be a big ($$$$$) reason why they refuse to enforce their ToS against some type of individuals/bots.

Time for a reset of Twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
Can this be linked to Russian bots as well?

When all is said and done. Twitter and Facebook are going to have to heavy regulations thrown at them.