• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
JK Rowling is already the billionaire creator of one of the most successful multimedia franchises of all time, it's a bit late to try and cancel her. Not saying she shouldn't be called out for her bigotry, but what does it actually accomplish? I don't know, everything is just shitty.

i would rather know if someone popular was transphobic or not. what exactly is harmed by learning that?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Every time she speaks about Dumbledore's sexuality or everything in the Fantastic Beasts sequel it gets worse and worse. What's irritating is exploring Dumbledore's relationship would have been interesting and provide much needed diversity in the series.
she's just a old woman of 120 years old, she doesn't know about these new fangled things like trans lives, non-white people, non-straight people. so she talks about them now and maybe says the right thing like 15% of the time

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not cover, but hell, the ig message of the book was about respecting minorities. I know transphobic people dont necesarily hate gays (but in my country biggots usually hate both).

But I stand that unless she is supporting these people, or giving messages against tras people this isnt actually supporting them.
She not only follows a bunch of terf accounts and zero pro-trans accounts she has liked anti-trans tweets....

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
good excuse to post this

HOOwHDS.jpg

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
JK Rowling is already the billionaire creator of one of the most successful multimedia franchises of all time, it's a bit late to try and cancel her. Not saying she shouldn't be called out for her bigotry, but what does it actually accomplish? I don't know, everything is just shitty.

For one, maybe it will allow for people to read a different fucking book series finally.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
So I hope all you guys are already de-installing this new Harry Potter game app in the store. Playing the game means directly supporting terfs.

Also, what's wrong with Britain? I swear you guys have the highest amount of transphobia in "progressive" spaces.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Do people really follow accounts they don't agree/sympathize with?
Never really bought the "A follow isn't an endorsement" thing (even worse when it's multiple follows).

It is possible to follow without endorsement. Like following an asshole president because it is important to knowing how he can fuck you up with laws.
BUT it is the context. A person following lots of X positive people and one X negative will mean one of those is not an endorsement.

JK Rowling lives in a country that is flooding with terfs, follows zero trans activists, likes tweets by transphobes and never said a single word in favor of trans people.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not cover, but hell, the ig message of the book was about respecting minorities. I know transphobic people dont necesarily hate gays (but in my country biggots usually hate both).

But I stand that unless she is supporting these people, or giving messages against tras people this isnt actually supporting them.
What a great fucking ally you are 🙄🙄🙄

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
This latest follow is going for the one-two punch of wrapping their transphobia in antisemitic conspiracy theories.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What scum but im sure people will still try to defend her.

Anyway, gives me a chance to post this classic.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

I know a follow isn't an endorsement but when it's this many TERFs and that's pretty much all they post about.... seems mighty suspicious 🤔🤔🤔

There are a looooot more tweets if you click on the thread and scroll down

What the fuck... this is a Soros conspiracy now too? Why cant people just let each other be ffs.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A bit worrying but I'm not going to condemn someone because of who they follow on Twitter. Actions are what matter to me so I'll focus my hate on those actively trying to hurt the LGBTQ community.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit worrying but I'm not going to condemn someone because of who they follow on Twitter. Actions are what matter to me so I'll focus my hate on those actively trying to hurt the LGBTQ community.
Well her actions have been to follow about 5 anti trans people and follow exactly 0 pro trans people soooo.........

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Little known fact: George Soros was the original inspiration for Voldemort

Just his name alone brings a sharp chill to the spines of conservatives

"Ssorossss"

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think a tweet mentioned about how a scene one of her books was pretty transphobic in its own right

Gotta say, the case doesn't look good in my eyes, but maybe others will think differently

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Well, there was the cultural appropriation of Native Americans from a couple year ago.

Her half baked defense of the whole Nagini casting thing, and being totally wrong on the origins of the Naga, which was actually from India.

And she previously had favourited and followed, and then unfollowed a known transphobe from a couple years ago as well.
I expected more than this...

From my understanding they switched the original actress of Nagini because the original got pregnant.

And as you said, she unfollowed the transphobe. I know nothing about these particular people but I can assume now that this is the second time that she agrees with them, but it goes on the assumption these people are defined by their nonsense and not something else she might just happen to agree with.

Judging purely by OP, it's safe to think she does in fact have a problem with trans individuals.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I don't know how often we have to do this dance until we accept that Rowling is at the very least sympathising with TERF rhetoric. She keeps falling in this same pattern where she follows and likes things from people who almost exclusively talk about anti-trans nonsense. If it were once or twice, it could have been an unfortunate mistake, since encountering such clowns in the the UK feminist scene happens quicker than you'd like. It feels like this just keeps happening over and over again though. It's come to the point where if she wants to explain or defend herself, I'm prepared to listen, but until then, I'm just assuming she's a TERF.

I think a tweet mentioned about how a scene one of her books was pretty transphobic in its own right

Gotta say, the case doesn't look good in my eyes, but maybe others will think differently

I forgot about that trainwreck.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So everyone who follows Trump endorses him? That is a weird take.
There is a difference between following the president of the most powerful nation in the world and a bunch of essentially unknowns who post regular transphobic stuff.

I mean, is she following them to learn how to fight against transphobes? Keeping up to date with the latest slurs they use?

Or more likely, she agrees with them and follows their accounts because of it?

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
What a great fucking ally you are 🙄🙄🙄
I support LBGT people, I hope one day (soon) they can get married, adopt, and arent discriminated anwhere (in my country gay people cant even get married yet)
But I wont pile somebody I'm a fan, I that I think was a big part on WHY I'm so open minded, just for a twitter follow, now, someone here posted a couple of articles about her doing more than just a follow and I will check that later.

Since well, according to that logic I would be a transphobe If I followed JK Rowling in twitter.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So JK Rowling then. She not only follows a good number of anti-trans advocates (and zero pro-trans advocates) she also has liked anti-trans tweets directly on Twitter.

There is no to spin this...JK Rowling is publicly supportive of anti-trans activism.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I wont pile somebody I'm a fan, I that I think was a big part on WHY I'm so open minded, just for a twitter follow, now, someone here posted a couple of articles about her doing more than just a follow and I will check that later.
Why do you keep ignoring everything but the one follow in the op?

She doesn't just follow an anti-trans advocate she follows a good number of them. And *ZERO* pro-trans advocates. And has liked anti-trans tweets directly. She has personally pushed these anti-trans folks message herself.

I get it, I loved the books too. But you are in denial on this one.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At this point, if you look at Rowling's history on this, of following transphobic accounts and liking anti-trans tweets, of never standing up for or supporting trans people, and decide that she deserves the benefit of the doubt or that she's some sort of LGBT champion because she said Dumbledore was gay and never actually did anything meaningful with it, you are either willfully blind, staggeringly naive, or deeply suspect.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between following the president of the most powerful nation in the world and a bunch of essentially unknowns who post regular transphobic stuff.

I mean, is she following them to learn how to fight against transphobes? Keeping up to date with the latest slurs they use?

Or more likely, she agrees with them and follows their accounts because of it?

If it were her first offense I would say she is probably do book research. Given the history she has probably lost the benefit of doubt.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, if you look at Rowling's history on this, of following transphobic accounts and liking anti-trans tweets, of never standing up for or supporting trans people, and decide that she deserves the benefit of the doubt or that she's some sort of LGBT champion because she said Dumbledore was gay and never actually did anything meaningful with it, you are either willfully blind, staggeringly naive, or deeply suspect.

Somewhat unfair to say she never did anything with it. She wrote a movie which came out 8 months ago in which it was a pretty central plot point.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
You know, I was expecting thinly veiled malicious digs at trans people hiding behind "plausible deniability", but holy shit the vitriol is way more blatant than I'm used to seeing

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I support LBGT people, I hope one day (soon) they can get married, adopt, and arent discriminated anwhere (in my country gay people cant even get married yet)

Since well, according to that logic I would be a transphobe If I followed JK Rowling in twitter.
Again, what a great ally you are 🙄

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, read those articles and please stop posting until you do.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Still too many people in this thread wanting to give the benefit of the doubt to someone cause she wrote uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh childrens novels they cant get over?

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You know, I was expecting thinly veiled malicious digs at trans people hiding behind "plausible deniability", but holy shit the vitriol is way more blatant than I'm used to seeing
Yeah but it was probably just a slip up! Again!

I mean the people she follows and likes on Twitter are a good place to start then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yep

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat unfair to say she never did anything with it. She wrote a movie which came out 8 months ago in which it was a pretty central plot point.

...was it? I watched that movie, but there was no explicit romantic connection indicated between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, not that I noticed.