• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
An original shooter would be preferable to me. Killzone is a disjointed series from one game to the next playing differently with only the grim art direction keeping a consistent tone . Resistance is similar in that regard.

Start afresh. It worked for them beautifully with Horizon.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why? It makes perfect sense for them to work on Killzone for their next game. It helps Sony to diversify their lineup and counter the narrative that they are only releasing cinematic 3rd-person adventure games. And their current team seems very capable, maybe they are able to breath new life into the Killzone IP and make it as successful as Horizon: Zero Dawn. It would also be a good title to highlight the power of PS5's much faster CPU, as FPS titles gain a lot from running at 60fps.

A new Killzone would fill some checkboxes, Sony and GG are aware of that.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are not going back to Killzone after creating one of the most sucessfull new IPs of the generation guys...

It is going to be Horizon 2 MP and its going to be glorious.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone 2 was my favorite multiplayer game on the PS3. Get rid of Rico... Hell! Get rid of all of the old guys and Killzone might have a chance again.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't GG get some more funding from Sony to expand into two
Teams or some such? I'd welcome a new Killzone game at this point (that returns to the stylings of 1,2 and Liberation) with their massively (and much much needed) improvements in narrative, but I wouldn't want that to come at the expense of Horizon 2.

Though maybe a new Killzone will be the project that they do to get their feet wet on the PS5 and we will get Horizon 2 after that

OP
OP
DriftingSpirit
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't GG get some more funding from Sony to expand into two
Teams or some such? I'd welcome a new Killzone game at this point (that returns to the stylings of 1,2 and Liberation) with their massively (and much much needed) improvements in narrative, but I wouldn't want that to come at the expense of Horizon 2.

Though maybe a new Killzone will be the project that they do to get their feet wet on the PS5 and we will get Horizon 2 after that
They are hiring ~150 new employees but I don't know if that is enough to have two separate teams. It is probably so they can have a good deal of them work on their main project (Horizon 2) while the rest get going on what is next.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's more like Monster Hunter than BR I'm all for it. Imagine hunting the DLC machines with people.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
They are hiring ~150 new employees but I don't know if that is enough to have two separate teams. It is probably so they can have a good deal of them work on their main project (Horizon 2) while the rest get going on what is next.

150 extra might just be to cut down on outsourcing? I read that they used 18 outside studios with Horizon and the main one used (Virtuos) had 65 people working on it for over 2 years.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see the next installment of Killzone be a prequel with a totally different approach. 3rd Person, shooter/stealth game in the vein of MGS, Splinter Cell, Tenchu, Assassin's Creed set during the First Extra Solar War where you play as a UCN sleeper agent (predecessor to the Shadow Marshall) working to destroy the Helghast war machine internally through subterfuge, direct or indirect means would be a great direction to take the series. The player's actions would eventually be used to setup Killzone where at the climax of this game a power vacuum is created that allows the UCN to install a young Scolar Visari as a potential head of state to rule and keep the Helghan people pacified. This eventually goes awry and Visari rejects this and instead cultivates his people's hate of the ISA and UCN.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a Killzone sequel akin to KZ2 than Horizon 2. I absolutely loved Killzone 2, sp and mp. Best Guerilla game imo.

But Horizon was too much of a success for that to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really feel like this isn't for Horizon 2.

If this is for Killzone 5, which I am not opposed to, it would be really neat to go third person.

OP
OP
DriftingSpirit
Oct 25, 2017
That is a fair point. I think the 150 new employees is throwing me as to what their plan is. Is it a second team or are they bolstering the existing team to make H2 quicker?
It is more the latter. They specifically mentioned that they are working toward getting their games out quicker.

Growth should also make it possible to release A-list games more often. "We have worked at Horizon for 6.5 years, which is exceptional: we want to release games in the two or three years, both new titles and games based on existing titles."
At Guerrilla there are now around 250 game developers in permanent employment, which can double during the final development of games. The company, one of the most important gaming studios in the world, wants to grow to at least 400 permanent employees.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gu...-to-increase-employees-to-400-from-250.56230/

They are working on more than one game and they want to get both out quicker. It still isn't enough to have two separate teams works on two different AAA games though. So, they want to strengthen their main team on their key game at the moment (Horizon 2) but still have enough left over to get work started on a new game so when they finish Horizon, they can hit the ground running on the next game.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks for find those quotes, DS. Really can't wait to see what they are working on. They are my clear favorites to get the first-party launch game gig again and therefore the showcase at the PS5 reveal.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Very, very interesting news considering I love Rainbow Six Siege on PC. If the implement multiplayer and character customization in the next Horizon I will be even more excited for it.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I just hope that they go BIG. I want to see a Killzone sequel with content comparable to Horizon, UC4, and GoW. Games with a strong multiplayer component have greater potential for longevity, so it's justifiable given the expected longer tail on revenue.

Killzone 2 was the last/only time they went big (for the time) with the franchise. Killzone 3 was rushed, with things like co-op being released months after the game came out, and Shadow Fall was an even weaker effort. And Shadow Fall just got confusing when they released the Interceptor DLC standalone (I had both versions installed and couldn't figure out why for a good while).

They need to release one, huge, complete package with a robust campaign, a strong co-op component, a highly polished Warzone mode, and plenty of well crafted maps, plus whatever unique evolutions of the genre they might have in mind.

Make DLC genuinely extra content, instead of content that should've been in the original release.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they could ressurect that new IP idea they thought about before going with Horizon? The one with the werewolves and stuff I think? That could work, it would be slightly familiar territory for GG but it would carry none of the baggage that Killzone now does (People seem to roll their eyes at Killzone, but that's purely ancedotal from my point of view).

They don't have enough to do 2 games at once, that would need a lot more people. More likely it is going to be a large pre-production team that works out the story/gameplay/ etc so they can get on with things once production on one game has finished. Their tools have gotten a lot better and PS5 will likely carry on a similar development environment rather than starting from scratch as they did in the PS2/PS3/PS4 era.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they could ressurect that new IP idea they thought about before going with Horizon? The one with the werewolves and stuff I think?

I think if they wanted to do that, they wouldn't tell us about that abandoned project.

The way I see it, there are two options: Simon Larouche is the Game Director for multiplayer/coop mode in Horizon 2, or he is directing new IP, online only shooter. I'm leaning towards option two. Especially since Shu said he would like to have a successful multiplayer games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They are not going back to Killzone after creating one of the most sucessfull new IPs of the generation guys...

It is going to be Horizon 2 MP and its going to be glorious.
Why would you specifically hire people with FPS multiplayer experience for a game that is completely unrelated and will have different netcode requirements? It's either Killzone, something set in that universe or a new IP.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
All of GG's MP team didnt up and leave after Shadowfall.

I wonder if they are adding MP to Horizon 2 or if they have a stand alone MP focused game.

PS4 could use a exclusive multiplayer thing thats good. It has felt like Sony has been pushing story really hard this gen at the expense of multiplayer/

A GG made GAAS online game could be great.
I agree. They could start with Killzone SF multiplayer and improve it. I had so much fun with the MP in Shadow Fall. It deserved to be a standalone game.

Oct 27, 2017
Hater >:(

seriously though, why can't it not be Killzone? It can be something in the same universe that's radically different.

I'm not a hater, I just feel like Killzone has run its course and GG had their chance to rejuvenate the series with Shadow Fall. They've shown they can create a fresh and interesting new IP with Horizon whereas Killzone has the stench of mediocrity from several instalments and I think they kind of messed up the storytelling after Visari was killed. I would honestly like to see them apply the things they've learnt from KZ online and Horizon to a new multiplayer shooter and start anew.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Dont know why people are shitting on the prospect of another killzone game. Now that we know the specs(somewhat) of the ps5. A fully fledged next gen killzone would be fucking bonkers. KZ2 is one of the best looking fps its 10 years and aged pretty damn well imo. Now take with that and put it in the decima engine and oofff. Now that they got the seige designer as the directer having that viseral realistic shooting design expertise in the killzone series is interesting.

There is still a lot of potential in the KZ2 both in story and in gameplay, the PS5 tech offers up a lot of potential. Killzone shadow fall didnt really hit the mark like kz2 because GG was divided, working both SF and horizon at the same time.