• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
One aspect of this that isn't clear in the OP (mentioned but not 100% clear) is that the twitter person quoted there, Deroir, is a partner of the game, and even has an NPC is the game named after him. Who he is doesn't really change how appropriate or inappropriate the comments are, but it made for really, really bad look to have a dev put him 'on blast', or whatever.

Sad that they had to fire talented people because some "influencer" got their feelings hurt.

People have already stated this, but he pretty much backed down right away and didn't act entitled or anything at all.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They bent their knee to the misogynist internet hate machine within a day.

Also lol ""misandry""
Kind of looks like misandry to me when this dev's apparent issue is a person not agreeing with her while being a man. Yeah the term is abused by sexist idiots but there is still such a thing as irrational hatred for the male gender.

This lady is obviously a toxic person with a huge chip on her shoulder.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, that's what makes me so hesitant to comment on situations like these, since these tactics are really well known. What's worse is that this now *feeds into* a lot of GG narratives about women in the industry.
The announcement of her hiring sparked a 300+ comment thread on the GW2 subreddit that mods had to lock because of typical GG/ "anti-SJW" nonsense, so you could tell people were chomping at the bit to find the exact right way to weaponize alt-right outrage.

And re: her cheering TB's death, come on, don't play that. Her only comments were about how TotalBiscuit's legacy is marred by harassment. If you're claiming she mocked TB's death, I'm giving you the side-eye.

Gasoline

Jun 14, 2018
Kind of looks like misandry to me when this dev's apparent issue is a person not agreeing with her while being a man. Yeah the term is abused by sexist idiots but there is still such a thing as irrational hatred for the male gender.

The response to a tweet that is basically "don't talk to me" shows that just maaayyyybe her apprehension is warranted

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to get on a high horse, but wow, who does that? No respect
Excuse me!? If true, that's wrong on so many levels. I'm guessing she has an attitude problem, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Totalbiscuit was a terrible person who harassed people. Dying from cancer doesn't erase that, and it doesn't erase the pain his victims felt.
I'm not saying he deserved it, but I can certainly understand if people who were abused by him were happy that he couldn't do any more harm.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Misandry isn't real.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread, yeah I think I can live with them getting fired.
Good on ArenaNet.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Terrible overraction to have against a customer and an important part of the community.

Maybe she let the toxic side of the fandom get to her head, but I'm not sure what the solution was except the firing, and she doesn't exactly strike me as the type of person who would agree to apologize.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
She can respond to a critique pointedly if she wants, and that in itself would still be annoying since the critique itself was not delivered in a harsh it disrespectful manner. The fact that she tried to imply the commenter was being sexist and mansplaining was completely beyond the pale since they obviously were not, and totally opened herself and ArenaNet up to claims of disparagement and attacking someone unprovoked.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
If you were a professional builder for 10 years and then non-builders kept coming over to your Twitter and saying "Let me give you some friendly advice. I hear hammers are pretty useful tools, how about picking one of those up?" I can imagine you'd get pretty fed up.. I don't think her responses were extreme, and I don't think she ought to have been fired.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The announcement of her hiring sparked a 300+ comment thread on the GW2 subreddit that mods had to lock because of typical GG/ "anti-SJW" nonsense, so you could tell people were chomping at the bit to find the exact right way to weaponize alt-right outrage.

And re: her cheering TB's death, come on, don't play that. Her only comments were about how TotalBiscuit's legacy is marred by harassment. If you're claiming she mocked TB's death, I'm giving you the side-eye.

Why did you intentionally leave out the tweet where she said she's glad he's no longer around?...see above.

And she has a history of lashing out at people for basically nothing. Go look at her tweets about Infinity Wars, it's ridiculous.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Huh, some HR department to jump straight to firing.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread is off to a bad start and the matter, for better or worse, already seems to be resolved. It doesn't appear that much constructive discussion will come of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.