• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Hey Era,

I just needed some advice. So basically I'm in the midst of looking for a new job because my old one was too stressful for me to tolerate as I currently have a kid on the way!

I have a job interview tomorrow which basically entails answering phone calls, a train ride away. Supposed to make roughly $34k a year.

My second job interview is Friday, for a medical receptionist which is within walking distance from my house. Saves me $132 a month if I think about it in the long run. I don't have a salary or wage for this one just yet.

My question is obviously I would like to keep both options open of course, but in the event they offer me a job right on the spot tomorrow, how do I nicely ask for time to think about it, just to see how my interview on Friday is going to go?

Answer is probably simple enough but I tend to overthink my words!
Thanks Era :)

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Era,

I just needed some advice. So basically I'm in the midst of looking for a new job because my old one was too stressful for me to tolerate as I currently have a kid on the way!

I have a job interview tomorrow which basically entails answering phone calls, a train ride away. Supposed to make roughly $34k a year.

My second job interview is Friday, for a medical receptionist which is within walking distance from my house. Saves me $132 a month if I think about it in the long run. I don't have a salary or wage for this one just yet.

My question is obviously I would like to keep both options open of course, but in the event they offer me a job right on the spot tomorrow, how do I nicely ask for time to think about it, just to see how my interview on Friday is going to go?

Answer is probably simple enough but I tend to overthink my words!
Thanks Era :)

Just say, "Thank you for the offer! I'd like to review the details and talk to my partner (if you have one) over the weekend. Can I get back with you on Monday?"

That's a very reasonable thing to say.

Congrats on the two interviews!

Apr 24, 2018
Absolutely ask for a little bit of time. And if you wind up getting offers from both but the job you like more pays less, you can always politely ask to see if they'll match your other offer. Congratulations on the interviews and good luck!

Oct 28, 2017
Just say, "Thank you for the offer! I'd like to review the details and talk to my partner (if you have one) over the weekend. Can I get back with you on Monday?"

That's a very reasonable thing to say.

Congrats on the two interviews!

One and done. If they want you to decide on the spot then that's not a place you want to work.

Oct 27, 2017
I was recently in the same situation. As the poster above mentioned, just say you are very excited about the opportunity and would like to discuss it with your partner or family. Give a day you will follow up or ask when they need a decision by. Practice saying this out load. When you get the offer it is easy to go in to auto-pilot. Good luck!

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In my experience, getting offered a job during an interview is extremely rare. They usually wait a few days so that they can run background checks, credit reports and the like, then they reach out with an offer. But in the event that they do offer it on the spot, be honest and say that you'd like a few days to consider.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Thanks guys! You've all been very helpful & kind! ☺️
If I wasn't an over thinker, this definitely wouldn't even be a thread.
And thanks for all the luck! Will definitely need it!!

Nov 23, 2017
In my experience, getting offered a job during an interview is extremely rare. They usually wait a few days so that they can run background checks, credit reports and the like, then they reach out with an offer. But in the event that they do offer it on the spot, be honest and say that you'd like a few days to consider.
Yeah, it is almost unheard of in my experience. I've been offered a job within 5 or 6 hours though

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah shortest turn around for me is a day and that was just a temp job.

Good luck op!

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It's not unusual to ask for several days to mull it over especially if they offer it on the spot. You could even say you're juggling a couple other offers. If they really want you they'll wait a few days. But don't push it.

Nov 23, 2017
It's not unusual to ask for several days to mull it over especially if they offer it on the spot. You could even say you're juggling a couple other offers. If they really want you they'll wait a few days. But don't push it.
Hell, I have friends that say this even if they're not. It usually gets the HR guy off their usually lazy ass or a bit more leverage in the salary offer. I'd do it too