• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this from Reddit. Seems after some weeks of radio silence from the Developers (That have abandoned the Anthem Subreddit Entirely), there is now an open position for Bioware for a loot system designer in a senior capacity. Could be a new position, or maybe a replacement for the older one?

Heres the position link: https://ea.gr8people.com/index.gp?opportunityID=155359&method=cappportal.showJob&sysLayoutID=122

And here are the position details:

BioWare is looking for an creative and passionate Senior Systems Designer with experience in Loot Systems to join our studio in either Austin or Edmonton to work on our newest IP Anthem. Building a truly great server side loot system, that is scalable, has modern concepts like streak-breaking, and easily modifiable data formats. A great loot system ensures that the players have predictable experiences that can be measured with data.
Key Responsibilities:

• Work with a team of systems designers and design leadership through all stages of development to own and implement large systems and gameplay features that improve content and functionality of the game.
  • Set and maintain the gold standard for game systems in a franchise.
  • Collaborate with other key stakeholders to identify and implement the priorities and objectives.
  • Be proactive in communicating progress and resolution of problems
  • Create documentation and prototypes for specific and exploratory game systems.

There's a scheduled Livestream with the devs this Wednesday (17), since the last one was delayed probably due to Kotaku's article.

I am all about games improving and getting better with the years since this is a staple of Looters in general, but everything about Anthem now irks me, since we know what exactly happened behind the scenes and how they didnt even know the game was going to be a loot shooter a year ago. They sold this game for full price knowing full well it was far, far from finished.

Sorry if the thread is unnecessary and lock it down if old.

EDIT: Should have clarified its probably for Anthem. If any mod sees this and decides not to lock the thread, maybe change the title?

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right now in Anthem, it's a lottery just to get a legendary to drop - then it's a lottery to make sure that it's even something that is viable for your main class to use - then it's a lottery to make sure that the attribute rolls are noticeably better than what can be found on the masterwork version of the item.

Even for players who enjoy the gameplay, Anthem does not respect a player's time once it's time to hunt legendaries. And even if it did, legendaries in their current state are simply not exciting - they're just potentially beefier masterworks.

OP
OP
Landford

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now in Anthem, it's a lottery just to get a legendary to drop - then it's a lottery to make sure that it's even something that is viable for your main class to use - then it's a lottery to make sure that the attribute rolls are noticeably better than what can be found on the masterwork version of the item.

Even for players who enjoy the gameplay, Anthem does not respect a player's time once it's time to hunt legendaries. And even if it did, legendaries in their current state are simply not exciting - they're just potentially beefier masterworks.

Their loot system really is a "one size fits all" thing where everything is just RNG without any sort of orientation. Before the first patches, you even rarely got legendaries for your own Javelin, which was absurd. Its probably a symptom of a rushed and cobbled together solution.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Urgh. Designing loot systems. That already sounds like "We need someone who creates a new smart loot system that makes the same amount of money, but where people don't get behind how we're ripping them off."

This isn't for loot boxes, it's for loot. As in, weapons/gear. Which is divorced from real money in Anthem.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I don't believe you, but is helpful to have some links backup for when this happens to corroborate it. Even the Reddit thread could work. That said, I don't know if this is good or bad. A well implemented system can do great things, and is unavoidable, but the stigma of the concept itself is already tarnished.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
is it me, or is the title "Senior Loot System Designer" really funny?

is there a "senior matchmaking system designer"? a "senior water effects system designer"?

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
is it me, or is the title "Senior Loot System Designer" really funny?

is there a "senior matchmaking system designer"? a "senior water effects system designer"?
Yeah there usually is a senior developer in charge of online components and especially in the cases of graphical areas there will be experts and leads.

Urgh. Designing loot systems. That already sounds like "We need someone who creates a new smart loot system that makes the same amount of money, but where people don't get behind how we're ripping them off."
lmao, read please.

OP
OP
Landford

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I don't believe you, but is helpful to have some links backup for when this happens to corroborate it. Even the Reddit thread could work. That said, I don't know if this is good or bad. A well implemented system can do great things, and is unavoidable, but the stigma of the concept itself is already tarnished.

You are absolutely right. I was on mobile and at work and forgot to post the link. Will add to the OP.

Here it is.
https://ea.gr8people.com/index.gp?opportunityID=155359&method=cappportal.showJob&sysLayoutID=122

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this from Reddit. Seems after some weeks of radio silence from the Developers (That have abandoned the Anthem Subreddit Entirely),

This is funny considering how one of the things the community kept touting around the launch period was the apparent "excellent communication" with daily posts and updates from staff. The subreddit was really more like a cult at that point and shouted down any criticism pre day 1 patch. (Day 1 patch will fix it, it was an old build!).
Now they keep giving gold and platinum to the most scathing post of the day. Interesting how quickly things change.

Sounds exactly like launch Diablo 3. They were not kidding when they kept namedropping it during the pre-release blitz while putting a gag order on the other "D" game. They should've also googled how D3 changed after launch tho.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The diablo guy told them exactly what they needed to do way back during the first week of launch. the entire subreddit has been BEGGING them to increase the legendary drop rates but they wont. they are stubborn as fuck and there is nothing we can do about it. their solution to fixing the drop rate was to add more crafting items to the loot pool which made things even worse. its been three weeks since that disasterous change and they havent done a goddamn fucking thing to revert it.

Just increase the drop rates. thats it. thats all they have to do. They have a great system of random rolls. they have a lot of variety. its not like destiny where you just hunt for the best exotic. here you could be looking for over 20 different items and then within each item, another 10 or so inscriptions that could enhance your build or allow you to make a completely new build. Their system is good. they just need to up the loot rate on the hardest difficulty so we can gear up for it.

i have no idea why this is so hard. them completely ditching that toxic subreddit is even worse. your job as a community manager of a games as a SERVICE game is to manage the community. i have no idea why they are so scared of some toxic comments. just ignore them and reply to the ones that are constructive and have a dialogue with them. they are so out of touch its bizarre.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I have hours on Diablo (all of them) and other ARPGs. I should apply ;D

Honest feedback: get out of your Bioware magic echo chamber and play a few beloved loot RPGs and save your money, Bioware.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the position listing:

BioWare is looking for an creative and passionate Senior Systems Designer with experience in Loot Systems to join our studio in either Austin or Edmonton to work on our newest IP Anthem. Building a truly great server side loot system, that is scalable, has modern concepts like streak-breaking, and easily modifiable data formats. A great loot system ensures that the players have predictable experiences that can be measured with data.
Key Responsibilities:
  • Work with a team of systems designers and design leadership through all stages of development to own and implement large systems and gameplay features that improve content and functionality of the game.
  • Set and maintain the gold standard for game systems in a franchise.
  • Collaborate with other key stakeholders to identify and implement the priorities and objectives.
  • Be proactive in communicating progress and resolution of problems
  • Create documentation and prototypes for specific and exploratory game systems.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
As a person that has put about 60 hours into the game and I enjoy it very much, it is encouraging to hear that they are hiring and investing into the game. With all the shit this game has had I thought EA would just pull the plug and let the game die.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"Game developer studio hires more developers... tune in at 11 for more on the development".

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh NOW you're looking for some loot system designer? I guess before they thought they had everything covered and they came up with the best loot system evah.
Or maybe loot was one of those things that fell through the cracks bc lack of time and they just getting to it NOW.
Which one is correct we will probably never know. Unless Jason has another article I guess.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

They need to look at Desti......I mean Division 2 to see how loot drops are done right.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't expecting it to straight up say it is for Anthem. Maaaaaaan. That is some insane shit.

On the other hand, I guess it shows they intend to keep supporting it longer term despite this not great start.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
But they did loot right. Twice. And they reverted it. Look at The Division 2. When we reach the end game, 95% of loot is garbage, but we're drowning in it. In Anthem 95% of loot is garbage and it doesn't even drop. Do they need a rocket scientist for that ?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is such a damned if you didn't damned if you do scenario. Obviously people have the right to feel a little cheated, spending 60 bucks on a game they thought would be made with deliberation and competition within its scene as a looter shooter, but the truth, as we know now, is that the game was a scramble. Them hiring a loot designer is them clearly listening to your criticism. Just take what you can get, please. It's there to improve the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I am always surprised when I realise the world is run by idiots. Every. Single. Time.

The older I get the more frequent it is too.

Maybe this should have been your first hire EA? Huh?

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
But Anthem is already out... game development has really shifted from where it once was.

Kind of embarrassing to be honest.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
They don't search for a Senior Loot System Designer they search for Senior System Designer. Well the current system is pretty bad, but I don't know why there is implication in the OP that they didn't had a Senior System Designer for the Loot System before. We know by now that the whole development of Anthem was a mess, certainly it also effected those responsible for the loot system.

OP
OP
Landford

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't search for a Senior Loot System Designer they search for Senior System Designer. Well the current system is pretty bad, but I don't know why there is implication in the OP that they didn't had a Senior System Designer for the Loot System before. We know by now that the whole development of Anthem was a mess, certainly it also effected those responsible for the loot system.

They straight up say System Designer for Loot in the job posting. And as I said in the OP, it could be for a new position, or because they are replacing someone.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I am always surprised when I realise the world is run by idiots. Every. Single. Time.

The older I get the more frequent it is too.

Maybe this should have been your first hire EA? Huh?
They didn't even know they were making a looter shooter until May 2017 lol. The mismanaged their time so badly they didn't know they needed this position until less than 2 years before the game came out.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds so stupidly much like vanilla D3 and if Anthem devs took a brief look at how D3 changed all that... but then I guess they didn't even have time for that, in spite of desiring the Diablo comparisons.