LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one was sitting the driver seat, doesn't tesla have a way to disable auto-pilot in that case?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... what were the two of them doing?

Edit: NM, one was in backseat, one in passenger seat. Weird. This feels like the setup to an episode of Bones or CSI.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They were totally banging on the back seat while the car was in autopilot mode, weren't they?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make any sense. Why the fuck would they do that? Also why the fuck does the car allow that to happen? My Subaru if you place something remotely warm on the passenger seat will go bonkers with an alarm stating no seatbelt as it thinks it detects a person. Does the Tesla car NOT have seat sensors to detect a human is on it for its auto pilot to work?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Don't teslas have a feature to detect if you are not paying attention to the road while on auto pilot? Maybe that's why the car hit something.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why even take this risk? Even if the car was 99.9% good to do most of the driving... no way in hell am I getting out of the driver seat. We're not there yet.

Even things like lane assist have problems when paint is faded on the lanes...

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
That doesn't make any sense. Why the fuck would they do that? Also why the fuck does the car allow that to happen? My Subaru if you place something remotely warm on the passenger seat will go bonkers with an alarm stating no seatbelt as it thinks it detects a person. Does the Tesla car NOT have seat sensors to detect a human is on it for its auto pilot to work?

My shih tzu makes the passenger front of my Mazda CX-3 seat go bananas if he sits in it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say car looks absolutely fucked for a crash but,

According to KHOU in Houston, first responders had to use 30,000 gallons of water over four hours to put out the fire, as the Tesla's battery kept reigniting. Authorities tried to contact Tesla for advice on putting out the fire; it's not clear whether they received any response.

Of course.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Good that Tesla names it Autopilot. With a safe and responsible name like that, only an idiot would think of using it like this.

But seriously, Tesla should change the name, and Musk should stop promising that full self driving is right around the corner.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for their families, but holy shit, how big of a moron do you have to be to do something like this?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Not a good one as Musk is publicly against more secure methods like cameras or more sensors.
My lawnmower had a sensor in the seat that detected if someone was sitting there, and I think some of the other electric vehicles can actually track your eyes if you are not paying attention. Not sure what he's got against more sensors.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There's supposed to be someone sitting in the driver's seat with their hands on the wheel. I have no idea how they got it to work with no one in the driver's seat.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more and more tesla drivers looking at their phones or worse asleep at the wheel.

mariox2098

Oct 27, 2017
Good that Tesla names it Autopilot. With a safe and responsible name like that, only an idiot would think of using it like this.

But seriously, Tesla should change the name, and Musk should stop promising that full self driving is right around the corner.
To be fair though, autopilot on planes doesn't mean the pilots can just walk away. Pretty sure at least one pilot is always sitting in their seat, awake and potentially in control of the plane.

Jul 1, 2020
Tesla calling the feature "Autopilot" really oversells its capabilities. I'm also surprised that it doesn't check that there is anyone in the drivers seat when Autopilot is enabled. You'd think a company like Tesla that fills their cars with all kinds of technical doodads that they would put a weight sensor in the seat.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why even take this risk? Even if the car was 99.9% good to do most of the driving... no way in hell am I getting out of the driver seat. We're not there yet.

Even things like lane assist have problems when paint is faded on the lanes...

To be fair, the percentage of auto drive failures is statistically almost the same as when people are driving them. It is higher still at the moment, but the accidents tend to be less severe by auto piloted cars.

Not that I recommend ignoring Tesla's safety advice of staying in the passenger seat. Obviously if the maker of the car doesn't feel comfortable with that then you shouldn't either.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair though, autopilot on planes doesn't mean the pilots can just walk away. Pretty sure at least one pilot is always sitting in their seat, awake and potentially in control of the plane.
"autopilot" in common usage often suggests "thing that works on its own". It's suggestive and while I'm not blaming Tesla for this incident - those people knew what they were doing was illegal and super dangerous - I do think their PR is not helping.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This story is more about pushing technology beyond what is safely possible to do, then it is about technology that malfunctioned (or is otherwise dangerous) that we should be scared of.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
"autopilot" in common usage often suggests "thing that works on its own". It's suggestive and while I'm not blaming Tesla for this incident - those people knew what they were doing was illegal and super dangerous - I do think their PR is not helping.
I bet you the engineers 100% did not want to name it that and someone from marketing overrode them.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
isn't how to handle a battery fire pretty common knowledge in fire departments now? They shouldn't have to contact Tesla to figure out how to stop a battery fire...
I just did a quick search. Apparently the best advice is to just throw massive amounts of water at it. And if possible, elevate the car or build a dam around it so water can reach the entire battery or keep the water pooled in the area.

That seems..... like not an ideal situation.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking idiots. What did they expect? Tesla cars are not meant to be driverless at all.

People are both way too smart and way too stupid for any level of engineering and technological automation to account for.

It's the fundamental limitation of any full automation future we may be striving for.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This story is more about pushing technology beyond what is safely possible to do, then it is about technology that malfunctioned (or is otherwise dangerous) that we should be scared of.
If we keep thinking like this, we will never achieve an autonomous society. You will always find morons that abuse technology for whatever reason.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I just did a quick search. Apparently the best advice is to just throw massive amounts of water at it. And if possible, elevate the car or build a dam around it so water can reach the entire battery or keep the water pooled in the area.

That seems..... like not an ideal situation.
i thought either foam or powder is the better solution vs... 30,000 gallons of water. If using water, you shouldn't also stop putting water on it as soon as the fire is out, it needs to be doused so it doesn't.... re-light.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA

I don't think the name of the feature is the problem here. When using autopilot in a Tesla the car communicates very clearly that you need to stay in control at all times. And if you ignore it the car will start to get loud, will come to a stop if needed, and will actually disable the feature for a period of time. The drivers here must have intentionally subverted the system, and thankfully they didn't hurt anyone else.