• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oct 25, 2017
So Two Point Hospital isn't released yet (at least in my region), and it got cracked by a scene (?) group.
If I'm not mistaken, it's made with Unity and it's known that Denuvo doesn't really work with games using Unity. The game has been available for pre-purchase for a while now, and since Denuvo doesn't work with Unity and games there was no mention of Denuvo on the store page, many assumed that it won't use Denuvo. But today Sega decided to prove again that publishers don't really follow any logic when using Denuvo, and confirmed that the game is using Denuvo. And here we are. Not only Denuvo didn't "protect" anything, but someday, someone, won't be able to play a game he/she legally bought because of Denuvo. Pirates are going to play the game before people who pre-ordered it, and they're going to have a better experience than the people who bought the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a global simultanious release?
Is the game out anywhere yet?
I don't know about that :D
That's why I said "at least in my region" and added that question mark in the title.
They "stole" a crack from P2P. They didn't crack anything,
I don't think the average person who doesn't like Denuvo cares about that. At least I don't. What matters is that the game is cracked.

Mar 23, 2018
From someone smarter than I, it apparently has something to do with the game being a Unity game.

"The exe was unprotected. Denuvo was in the DLL which can easily be replaced - thats why you see an instant crack. P2P community has also released cracks for Unity games in the past."

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They protected their Assembly-CSharp.dll file and had basic Steam protection. It seems to have been an easy target.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
Buy this game, people. It's cheap and (probably) very good. I don't want to wait 20 years again for another sequel because this one flopped due to piracy.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Buy this game, people. It's cheap and (probably) very good. I don't want to wait 20 years again for another sequel because this one flopped due to piracy.
Games dont flop because of piracy. Pirates go and pirate... they dont decide to buy or pirate.

Its literally not even a lost sale.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games dont flop because of piracy. Pirates go and pirate... they dont decide to buy or pirate.

Its literally not even a lost sale.

Nonsense, some people do pick and choose. It's not really about money either, most of the time at least. I've known plenty in real life who either do it on a case by case basis simply because they have the ease of an option, or do so because of games having Denuvo to boycott. You can see people like this on other forums where things aren't enforced like they are here.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense, some people do pick and choose. It's not really about money either, most of the time at least. I've known plenty in real life who either do it on a case by case basis simply because they have the ease of an option, or do so because of games having Denuvo to boycott. You can see people like this on other forums where things aren't enforced like they are here.
The fact of the matter is, a pirated game with Denuvo removed is more than just free; it is free AND superior. A game with no Denuvo is simply a better product than one with Denuvo.

Personally I don't have the free time to play many games these days, so I don't bother to pirate. But I also don't bother to buy inferior software. And having Denuvo makes 2 Point Hospital inferior software that isn't worth my time or money. So pass. This isn't boycott as such, I just can tell when a game is worth playing or not by how much a studio respects its customers. By adding Denuvo, the studio is telling me they don't care about their customers.

They are free to pack garbage in their products. And I am free to not buy garbage in return.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good. If i buy the game, i ll unprotect it, that's a given. I don t leave drm on my purchases when they can go.

Oct 25, 2017
Why Companies are still using Denuvo for games that use Unity Engine ? Save face in front of investors " We tried the best possible solution but unfortunately ..... " ?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why Companies are still using Denuvo for games that use Unity Engine ? Save face in front of investors " We tried the best possible solution but unfortunately ..... " ?
Well where i am standing, it seems Denuvo has a very good sales team that convinced companies to pay them to make their products worse. This would be a problem normally when companies "eat their own dogfood", as in they would be forced to use software that are damaged by it. But since game software is not usable in a company, they can never feel the harm that they are adding anyway.

Having DRM literally offered by third party is a rather insane decision to make. It is really how game studios can pretend Denuvo isn't harming the game's functions, because they aren't actually responsible for Denuvo's code. It is literally someone else's problem.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
A good idea would be to remove Denuvo and make it available on GOG as well as Steam.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Ok stop, there is literally no way to know that since there has never been any actual proper research on either sides of the argument.
You sure? https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/22/eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact/

Someone that can't or doesn't want to buy a game(and never had any intention to doing so) isn't a lose sale. It was never even a possible sale. Yes, each illegal download = a sale not made; but those people usually(not always) weren't gonna buy the game at all so it not a loss sale.. just a sale not made. Wich is different.

Now, piracy is bad. I don't defend it, but pirates don't hurt sales as some people believe. They did in the past,specially with music or games in countries like Poland, but it's a very different situation now.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know this had Denuvo. Ewwww. I was thinking about getting this but maybe I'll wait for a GOG release or something.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well where i am standing, it seems Denuvo has a very good sales team that convinced companies to pay them to make their products worse. This would be a problem normally when companies "eat their own dogfood", as in they would be forced to use software that are damaged by it. But since game software is not usable in a company, they can never feel the harm that they are adding anyway.

Having DRM literally offered by third party is a rather insane decision to make. It is really how game studios can pretend Denuvo isn't harming the game's functions, because they aren't actually responsible for Denuvo's code. It is literally someone else's problem.

I think the reckless hyperbole used by you guys makes any conversation about the pros and cons of DRM rather difficult.

Denuvo seems to have an imperceptible performance hit on the vast majority of games its applied to. And it supposedly helps keep launch month sales unimpeded by piracy in many cases. A best case scenario would be if devs and Denuvo accepted to remove the DRM from games after one year I'd release, for example.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Good, they should do that to all games if their intent is indeed "protecting initial sales"

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Denuvo keeps baiting pirates to break their system. It's only going to hurt them. I'm confident that this wouldn't have happened if they didn't say the initial sales comment recently.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why Denuvo keeps baiting pirates to break their system. It's only going to hurt them. I'm confident that this wouldn't have happened if they didn't say the initial sales comment recently.

Denuvo can't protect Unity games. This has zero effect on games with other engines.