• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One of my colleagues and I ran some of the user research on this game. Really proud to have contributed a little, and glad you guys seem to like it!

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
On one point I do agree that the GP queue hell stuff can get to a point where I want to pull my hair out, but I also kind of get the "simulation" and comedy aspect of it, because in certain ways it does mimic real life haha (assuming this was the developers intention and not some programming mistake, of course).

Also, it adds to the challenge of planning your hospital correctly, because if it wasn't for this, I think the game would be a complete walk in the park.

I do think it needs a tiny bit of adjustment (so that we don't need to build 97 GP Offices to help dealing with it), but I'm not sure that I want this "problem" completely solved through patches. Bit of a controversial opinion I guess. Would love to hear the developers reasoning on the topic though.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Does anyone know if it's possible to copy-paste a room? This would be very helpful to quickly build more GP offices.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I burned through about a dozen hours of this over the weekend, and while it's very charming and compulsively playable on the whole, it needs some significant tweaks or rebalancing. The way diagnostics work right now is kind of silly, especially with AI task prioritization and pathfinding. Room size is more or less meaningless. You shouldn't be able to powergame room prestige and other bonuses the way you can right now.

It's also just kind of ... frictionless. How well you play affects how quickly you can advance, but on the whole it's impossible to do "badly" or lose in any way, as far as I can make out.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Also, for those struggling with GP queues, do these five things:

1. Make about half of your doctors dedicated GPs, and focus on getting them trained up as high as possible as fast as possible. Have more of them than you do GP rooms to cover breaks. Restrict them to full-time GP work, and don't let anyone else work the rooms.
2. Likewise, any nurses working diagnostic rooms should have high diagnostic skill, and you should have excess staff to cover breaks.
3. Don't clump all your GP rooms together. Clump them near other diagnostic rooms, food, drink, and an accessible toilet. Later on, you'll get better diagnostic rooms that make the early ones redundant and inefficient.
4. No corridors narrower than two squares (two squares in blueprint mode, not two squares of the tile pattern). You want broad paths to prevent crowding, and to ensure anyone stopping to eat, drink, browse, or open a door won't slow the traffic around them.
5. Almost no rooms need to be bigger than minimum size (Training is the only obvious contender). For maximum efficiency, you want the largest possible number of minimum-sized Prestige 3 rooms that can fit off a two-square corridor. (You can powergame the rooms to Prestige 5 by spamming certificates or similar, but it looks awful to me.)

You will need to micro some queues occasionally, but it shouldn't be the norm. You should also be raising prices wherever possible!

Last edited:

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
How's performance to you, guys?

I have i5 3570k overclocked, GTX970, 16GB ram and it's pretty horrible. It's fine when your hospital is small, but fill one building and it starts lagging bad. In university level, 4 buildings filled, it's almost unplayable. The worst thing is that mouse and placement lags, if you click during lag spike, item does not place, it just ignores your input. Sometimes camera jumps far away. Graphics options don't have much impact, nor does camera angle - one second it runs fine, the next one there's massive slowdown, probably cpu overload.

Also, this game gives me the worst case of carpal tunnel.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
How's performance to you, guys?

I have i5 3570k overclocked, GTX970, 16GB ram and it's pretty horrible. It's fine when your hospital is small, but fill one building and it starts lagging bad. In university level, 4 buildings filled, it's almost unplayable. The worst thing is that mouse and placement lags, if you click during lag spike, item does not place, it just ignores your input. Sometimes camera jumps far away. Graphics options don't have much impact, nor does camera angle - one second it runs fine, the next one there's massive slowdown, probably cpu overload./QUOTE]

Sounds like its CPU bound - definitely needs more optimization work. How many patients/staff are running around at this point?

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nn odd that it would be that heavy on CPU, i'll give my feedback when i'm there, i have an old sandybridge-E i7-3820.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Steam forums, seems theres a ton of pathfinding issues - it could be that bigger hospitals generate more pathfinding loops that eat up CPU time. I'm reading reports of people getting stuck in spots, refusing to go to certain rooms, specific props causing problems. It's not really an issue until things start to get big.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Can you only have 1 researcher at any time in the lab? I can build lots of research desks but only seem to be able to have 1 doctor in the room.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really sorry for Two Point. The game seems to be selling reasonably well but the busy period the game has fallen in the middle of has done it a disservice. It deserves way more attention than its getting

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
I feel really sorry for Two Point. The game seems to be selling reasonably well but the busy period the game has fallen in the middle of has done it a disservice. It deserves way more attention than its getting
I wouldn't feel bad, the game for the most part has been received really well by both the Theme Hospital crowd and critics as well as new players that have never played Theme Hospital, like myself. Two Point did a great job on the game and should definitely be praised!

Nov 4, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Yesterday I fell and ended up going to have a CT scan. I was third in line out side the imaging room. Someone started bleeding on the floor and ER personnel was pushing through trying to take care of the person and contain the mess. Then I realized that queues in small hallways are real and are a real problem.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be okay for them, I can see this game having long legs.

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
Yesterday I fell and ended up going to have a CT scan. I was third in line out side the imaging room. Someone started bleeding on the floor and ER personnel was pushing through trying to take care of the person and contain the mess. Then I realized that queues in small hallways are real and are a real problem.
Hope you're doing okay. I read this and laughed though, "and THAT'S when I realized that small hallways are a real problem."

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also, for those struggling with GP queues, do these five things:

1. Make about half of your doctors dedicated GPs, and focus on getting them trained up as high as possible as fast as possible. Have more of them than you do GP rooms to cover breaks. Restrict them to full-time GP work, and don't let anyone else work the rooms.
2. Likewise, any nurses working diagnostic rooms should have high diagnostic skill, and you should have excess staff to cover breaks.
3. Don't clump all your GP rooms together. Clump them near other diagnostic rooms, food, drink, and an accessible toilet. Later on, you'll get better diagnostic rooms that make the early ones redundant and inefficient.
4. No corridors narrower than two squares (two squares in blueprint mode, not two squares of the tile pattern). You want broad paths to prevent crowding, and to ensure anyone stopping to eat, drink, browse, or open a door won't slow the traffic around them.
5. Almost no rooms need to be bigger than minimum size (Training is the only obvious contender). For maximum efficiency, you want the largest possible number of minimum-sized Prestige 3 rooms that can fit off a two-square corridor. (You can powergame the rooms to Prestige 5 by spamming certificates or similar, but it looks awful to me.)

You will need to micro some queues occasionally, but it shouldn't be the norm. You should also be raising prices wherever possible!
To add to this:

6. Benches are useless. Do not occupy a significant amount of space with them as the AI will spend more time addressing their other needs. The dedicated waiting rooms from TH don't work here.
7. Slot staff and restroom into awkward spaces. #4 on Shake Appeal's list comes first for regular rooms, give them priority on fluid design and then try to fit in the staff and restroom.

I hope they get to a good spot with balance because right now it does feel like you have to min/max a bit to beat the game. Still, loving the hell out of this game and just happy to have a TH successor.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you really only need one bench per diagnostic/treatment room, if that. And you don't need any random waiting rooms or spaces. There's no point wasting space putting seating near reception, e.g., as queues almost never build up there.

And toilets and staff rooms are great because you can make 2x3 ones. I generally have at least one of each in each lot. And maaaaybe one luxurious prestige 5 staff room hidden in a far-off corner somewhere, which is basically where you pick up and drop a staff member if they suddenly threaten to quit.

sur le web

Nov 8, 2017
the CEO of Holistix visited my hospital, puked 20 times (I kept count) and promptly left. the absolute balls on this guy.
20180905202820_1koibi.jpg

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you really only need one bench per diagnostic/treatment room, if that. And you don't need any random waiting rooms or spaces. There's no point wasting space putting seating near reception, e.g., as queues almost never build up there.

And toilets and staff rooms are great because you can make 2x3 ones. I generally have at least one of each in each lot. And maaaaybe one luxurious prestige 5 staff room hidden in a far-off corner somewhere, which is basically where you pick up and drop a staff member if they suddenly threaten to quit.

I had to build 3 receptions in one of my hospitals due to queues. They can build up quite heavily actually.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I had to build 3 receptions in one of my hospitals due to queues. They can build up quite heavily actually.
Oh, you definitely need multiple receptions as your hospital grows. But you don't need to build "waiting areas" for them.

the CEO of Holistix visited my hospital, puked 20 times (I kept count) and promptly left. the absolute balls on this guy.
Legend. How could you stay mad at that face?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Melt Downs was giving me a meltdown. Near constant hazards and awkward building shapes/sizes made that first stretch a bit of a nightmare.

Managed to scrabble my way up to 2 stars, now I have to upgrade 20 machines to get 3 stars. I might just keep rebuilding and demolishing a General Diagnostics room somewhere in the corner just to cheese it, don't fancy knocking down my useful stuff just to replace it.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone remember that old game called 'The Movies' from i think Lionhead?

Playing this gives me a nostalgia kick for old sim games and i liked that one. I would love a modern version like this game.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
My Tumble hospital completely broke around year 9. Patients just get stuck everywhere blocking new patients from being treated. My hospital value went from 2.5 million to 300,000 and I failed before I could get 3 stars. :( I think I'll wait for some more patches before continuing.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lovely spiritual successor to Theme Hospital. It's been fun and I'm only on the third hospital. I wish there were more variety for hospital looks though. Add that and some other QoL (like copy & paste for rooms) and it'll be better.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Been playing this game a lot. One feature i would really like is a sort of 'plan' option where i could draw out rooms to see how they would all fit in each building. Sort of like a pencil outline so i can manage the space. Prison Architect had a feature like this.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I sometimes have patients from the (fracture) ward leaving the hospital in rage because they are bored, hungry, thirsty and need the bathroom. How can I prevent this? I had toilets and drink/food machines right in front of the entrance of the ward, and at least 2 or 3 trained nurses in the wards.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes have patients from the (fracture) ward leaving the hospital in rage because they are bored, hungry, thirsty and need the bathroom. How can I prevent this? I had toilets and drink/food machines right in front of the entrance of the ward, and at least 2 or 3 trained nurses in the wards.

I've found the fracture ward is a death trap in general. It comfortably kills more patients than any other department which is bizarre

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Seems like there's a few pathfinding errors in the game. The beta branch hotfixes has some attempted fixes for this.