• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The people who are upset about this need help. There is a choice and one was chosen more than the other it doesn't even matter!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I played as Kassandra and I gotta say.. Alexios sounded pretty terrible every time he showed up. Maybe he is better as the protagonist but it was pretty jarring.
Yeah I was pretty taken aback at how horrible he sounded as Deimos. Pretty much everything about the performance felt wrong, from just matching with the characters appearance to the actual quality and performance of the lines themselves. Really makes those moments in the game the lowest points story wise.

Oct 25, 2017
that will teach them gender equality!!!

oh wait.. that's actually a stupid idea.
Is it though? I'd rather they go back to choosing a single protagonist for these games like the previous ones, barring Syndicate.
It's less wish washy when explaining who is canon and what not.

Since they stated that Kassandra is canon, I always thought why not cut off Alexios and just have Kassandra as the MC?

Regarding who is better, don't really care tbh, functionally they're the same.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a bit reductive. I think it's safe to say not all of the People who played as Kass are also playing their first Assassin's Creed game. Why in this very thread someone said they admired Alexios' visual design.
For sure, but I imagine there's more people trying their first Assassin's Creed game because of Kassandra than Alexios.

But I may be completely wrong, I have no evidence for that at all.

Kassandra was one of the main reasons I even got the game, I don't even play AC games usually. Was nice hearing from others how she was actually done well.

I personally already care about Assassin's Creed, as I truly love 2 and think it's one of the best games of last gen, but Kassandra was a huge reason why I wanted this game specifically, and I didn't buy anything in the series since Unity.

Oct 26, 2017
That's for the novel. Not the game.

You're right, I checked the original quote on the Reddit AmA and it's way more open then what the article concluded.

Well... I named my Persona 5 protag "Akira Kurusu" because of the manga (that never ends up being the canon name after the anime/spinoffs decides on one) so I guess I'll accept the novel as being some kind of decision on a canon.

And if comes to my decision... Kassandra seems cooler anyway.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played as Alexios then after one hour went for Kassandra. At least for me she was a better character overall.
Also, this is a reminder for people who believes that ERA opinion on gaming stuff it's relevant outside the forum.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I am one of the fools that decided to play as Alexios. The moment they said that Kass was the canon character I knew I had to be Alex purely cos I am a weird ass rebel like that. Although I am very glad I did, Alexs slightly ott line delivery fits very nicely into the completely ott world and I enjoyed his flirty attitude if you chose to portray him as a gay man. Very few games have homosexual male protagonists and the ones that do seem to angle on making them very serious and honest in their relationships, being able to portray Alexios as an outgoing (and often outrageous) lover while also having him as a complete badass who can demolish through an entire fort of soldiers was nice and felt refreshing.

I didn't even know this game had gay male romance options. Definitely will be playing as Alexios whenever I pick this up.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
No, I understand what you said, it was just dumb. Diversity for 'diversity's sake' is still diversity. Representing diverse perspectives has value, just the presence of those perspectives and options adds value to the product as a piece of entertainment because it allows people to enjoy the product how they wish to represent themselves in it.
That's not what i meant...I agreed with what the poster I replied to said. Then I just wrote what you quoted.

And for example, inserting a Token minority character in a story just to say it's a diverse cast, giving that character no benefit/development isn't being diverse. That's an example for what you quoted. Not that it's what's going on in the game. WE NEED DIVERSITY. My issue with this thread was the shaming and claiming you didn't play the game right Just because they chose what they preferred.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is why switching from all male characters to allowing player choice is nonsense when it comes to promoting diverse characters compared to actually introducing set female characters.

It doesn't help that all of the marketing material and the box art had Alexios. It's Ubisoft's cowardly lip service towards diversity while still safely promoting their male character over their female one.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah I was pretty taken aback at how horrible he sounded as Deimos. Pretty much everything about the performance felt wrong, from just matching with the characters appearance to the actual quality and performance of the lines themselves. Really makes those moments in the game the lowest points story wise.

To be fair, Kass as Deimos was shit too. Deimos as written - specifically dialogue and delivery - was the low point of the story. So it wasn't the voice actors, who were for the most parts, talented.

Edit: I don't think many actors could have elevated that role any more than both of them did.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
majority of game players are pretty bad at playing games in general. Half of all games are barely played to the completion of the main story

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be fair, Kass as Deimos was shit too. Deimos as written - specifically dialogue and delivery - was the low point of the story. So it wasn't the voice actors, who were for the most parts, talented.
Yeah, I was expecting/hoping that was the case. Otherwise I don't know how on earth people could stand to play as Alexios.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I picked Alexios at first but switched to Kassandra a few hours in. Wasn't really liking him and I'm glad I did because Kassandra is great. Might even like her more than Ezio.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Most of this forum consists of members from the US.

Era is absolutely "far left" by US standards. Like way far left.

That's an US problem though, the reality is that the US is overall heavily ignorant about left politics, their political spectrum barely scratches the left, being at most center center/left being generous. That's why they have Trump and also not common and logical (by European stuff) stuff like Universal Healthcare. But the truth is still that Era is far from being far-left, as an European that notion is ridiculous, and I doubt many others Europeans would disagree.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Alexios is a bi male hero in a AAA game which is amazing.

I wish people would stop downplaying that.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
ERA has almost nothing to do with the far-left. You have weird politics if you truly think this is the case. At best we're centrist, but it's more leaning centre-right
It'd have been less ridiculous if you had said centre left but even then, while not far left, Era is lot more left than centre left (and definitely far left by US standards)...let alone centre right.

Oct 25, 2017
That's an US problem though, the reality is that the US is overall heavily ignorant about left politics, their political spectrum barely scratches the left, being at most center center/left being generous. That's why they have Trump and also not common and logical (by European stuff) stuff like Universal Healthcare. But the truth is still that Era is far from being far-left, as an European that notion is ridiculous, and I doubt many others Europeans would disagree.
From Europe(U.K), definitely in agreement.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing as Alexios too. No regrets. I heard how jerkish he gets and his asshole self-serving delivery is perfect after ultimate good guy cop Bayek (which was also great)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lewis Holundrian Please stop with the far-left derail. This is off-topic. Thanks.

I am gay, I like men, hence played as Alexios. Screw you if you are going to try and shame me for not picking Kassandra.
^ This ^ I also wanted to bang guys as a guy.
Joining the camp of gay players who picked Alexios because they like guys/wanted to bang other dudes lol
You must be disappointed then. There's literally twice as many female love interests in the game as there are male ones, and they mostly suck. :\

As a man, I prefer not to play Assassins Creed games
That got a good chuckle out of me :)

Also, Kassandra is...weird. The game's script was obviously written with a male main character in mind. The fact that no one remarks on a woman doing the things Kassndra does in ancient Greece is very, very jarring. The game would have been much better if Kassandra were the only playable character and she had to brute force her way through a misogynist world.
I actually agree with you that it's jarring. It's going to be an unpopular opinion among my female peers, but it does break my immersion that Kassandra faces absolutely zero sexism or misogyny whatsoever, or even any acknowledgement of her gender, across her journey. For example, [mild spoilers] when you participate in the Olympics, there could have at least been a line such as "women aren't allowed in the Olympics, but, we'll make an exception because blah blah reasons", but since the dialogue is pretty much identical beyond pronouns, there's nothing like it in the game.

Now... There's a reason for that. Like many women have said already, they don't want to play a video game full of sexism misogyny, as that is a turn off since they already face tons of that IRL. I do understand that and sympathize. It's a video game for escapism and fun after all. The devs are also on record saying the same thing.

Moreover, I'm sure they didn't want people who picked Kassandra to be "penalized". Imagine, if you played as Alexios, your experience is that of a great warrior who earns his peers' respect and/or fear through your deeds, but if you play Kassandra, you have people trying to discredit you for your gender, throwing gendered insults at you, take your less seriously, etc.? That would really suck.

So, I understand why they made the game that way. But, to me, this is a clear example of why the game would have been stronger if Kassandra was the sole protagonist. If she were, the entire game would have been written with her in mind, as a woman's story: In this case you could have adjusted the story and dialogue to include her perspective as a woman growing up and navigating in a male-dominated world. It wouldn't necessarily mean the game would have had to get every NPC calling her a cunt or a bitch or anything, but you could still have a story with a unique perspective, instead of a generic template. As you said, the game would have been stronger for it, IMO. It's a shame that Ubisoft won't ever try this since they have said all future games would have player choice too.

See above. AC: Odyssey isn't, not truly, a woman's story from a woman's perspective. It doesn't mean the story is bad or that the character is bad (I love Kassandra, don't get me wrong!), but it's more limited and less personal of a story than if the story were written with a sole protagonist in mind. Plus, AC had plenty of games where you couldn't play as a woman at all (the vast majority of them); if people complained at having just the one game where you can't play as a man, well, that'd be really pathetic.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018

Off topic, but I can't believe I am seeing an I Spy gif. One of the only VHS tapes I had in my room when I was younger, so I watched it all the time. Lol....."I'm Kelly Robinson baby! 57-0! Ill kick your ass baby!"

On topic, I wonder if they will keep doing this? Seems like a good idea, but obviously can be a hassle to make two options. They should though. Also, you should care less who people choose. Play the game your way, who cares.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the good news here that 1/3 of players picked Kassandra? It wouldn't have to change much to be 50/50. I feel like that's great progress from where we were 5-10 years ago. Still have a ways to go, would be really great to have the audience be 50/50

Oct 30, 2017
This doesn't surprise me.

I'm still pissed off they felt the need to shoehorn in a male protagonist, though. Political correctness gone mad.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an US problem though, the reality is that the US is overall heavily ignorant about left politics, theis political spectrum barely scratches the left, being at most center center/left being generous. That's why they have Trump and also not common and logical (by European stuff) stuff like Universal Healthcare. But the truth is still that Era is far from being far-left, as an European that notion is ridiculous, and I doubt many others Europeans would disagree.
I get it, and I'm not exactly an American exceptionalist... but I do believe the American perception here is likely more of a "default" than whatever is going on in Europe. US is still the biggest economy, most desirable immigration target, etc. The European perception of "left' is the exception here, not the rule. Especially on a forum populated by mostly American posters.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The interesting question is whether they will go back to single protagonists and make this just a more experimental entry, or whether this will be the standard going forward. Those drawn into Assassin's Creed from, for example, the BioWare fandom by this game would probably be sorely disappointed by that.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What is supposedly so great about Kassandra? Aren't they both basically the same?
Her voice actress is great and both characters have different enunciations and to me she sounds better. Plus she's animated differently and I personally like her animations better but that's down to opinion. Additionally I like her design, it's unusual in games to see a female character, who's supposedly badass and has a military/mercenary background, actually physique to go with it. She has abs, vascular arms, muscles and scars and scars. Yet she's attractive as hell.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Who's the default choice in the game? I'm curious how the choice is presented.

Also pretty unsurprised with the results regardless. There's a reason games marketing (including for Odyssey) focuses on white male characters.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game months ago and didn't even start it until now, will be a tough decision.

I like looking at Kassandra more. But there is also romance involved. The story is almost the same with both characters, isn't it?

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The interesting question is whether they will go back to single protagonists and make this just a more experimental entry, or whether this will be the standard going forward. Those drawn into Assassin's Creed from, for example, the BioWare fandom by this game would probably be sorely disappointed by that.

I am torn. It's exceptionally great for player agency and choice but sucks for the animus funtuaclity and lore. (Actually there is A LOT problematic with AC: O and the assassin creed lore consistency).

With that said, I really liked it and believe they need to move away from Assassin storyline lineage specifically and just explore that universe. I am also good with them dropping the present day things because they are weak as a framing device and there has been no pay off to them as a narrative since Desmond's story ended.

Oct 27, 2017
Alexios fans here really need to be a little less self-conscious is what this thread is telling me.

Choices are often bad, and this is a good example. Kassandra better VA, and I'd rather there be 1.5 female leads in AC than just two .5's.
Choices are often good. And this was a good example of that. Without it, companies like Ubisoft would strictly cater to what they believe to be the larger player base.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Is Alexios the default choice if you don't have a preference? I forgot how the choice was made.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
I decided to play as Kassandra based on what I read from ERA. Best decision I ever made regarding main characters. Kassandra is pure gold and fire!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Seriously, tell me what is far left about ERA ? Where are the examples ? Literally make a thread any day of the week and ask if anyone on here is far left. I'd bet my savings not many would say they confidently belong there.

Most of this forum consists of members from the US.

Era is absolutely "far left" by US standards. Like way far left.

The sad state of the left in America doesn't shift the boundaries of the far-left. They're not just left of the left, they historically follow a set of political points that are considered nonnegotiable. Many people would not agree to those on ERA. This isn't even a US thing, the country has had an important far-left history too.

It'd have been less ridiculous if you had said centre left but even then, while not far left, Era is lot more left than centre left (and definitely far left by US standards)...let alone centre right.

There are definitely quite a few far-left people in here, but the overall state of this forum is definitely not leaning as left as you think. You just have to check this recent thread on Ocasio-Cortez being savagely thrown under the bus just for being a leftist woman making a mistake. Shitting on Trump and being for gender equality seldom makes you a leftist, it just makes you someone with a bit of sanity left. If on top of that you can remember this is still the gaming community we're talking about, the hot take answers from threads like the one for the offensive native american reference on Mr. Game & Watch tells you everything you need to know.

It just makes me think about this thread where some thinks there is some kind of leftist domination where everyone else is oppressed : https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-does-the-gaming-industry-lean-so-far-left.79326/

Anyway, I don't even know what was this quip about in this thread, I don't think it's on topic so I'll stop now.

edit: haven't seen the mod post sorry