• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I mean I haven't played yet, but I'd probably play as Alexios first purely because I prefer playing a Male character if given the choice.
If the difference is really that drastic, then I could see myself playing through it again with Kassandra though.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between two thirds and one half is only one sixth. I'd say this is a fine split, in terms of Ubisoft's work paying off.

If the split was 25-75, it would be a problem.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Alexios has some of the worst voice acting ive ever heard in a game. Its as bad and lol worthy as chris klein as nash in that chun li movie

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I bought this game, just because of Kassandra, probably first playlable woman I really really like. But one think I do not understand, why is the shame play as a man, you know, you can choose.

And this is totally not ME situation, Mark Meer does faar better job as commander Shephard (besides voicing Vorcha, wonder how many people could do that), since Jennifer Hale is in so much other titles it felt really like flat and boring, sorry. Voice matters.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1/3 doesnt sound bad to me when you consider that more men probably play it than women. I'm a guy but like playing as female characters in any game with the option.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I'd be hard pressed to believe that the majority of straight male gamers are saying that, especially in the climate we're in now.

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of straight male gamers played Alexios. I'm talking about the folks on Era who keep dropping in just to say Alexios is trash, but not engage in any way.

In any case, I've appreciated the Alexios defenders in this thread, and I'm reconsidering playing as him when the game arrives next week.

Also, side note, this thread is a reminder of what an absolutely tremendous protagonist Bayek was. Easily top one or two AC protags, and definitely better than everyone's all time favorite Ezio. Bayek is legitimately one of my favorite GAME protagonists. Well-rounded, flawed in just the right ways, motivated in just the right ways. Just an absolute standout character.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between two thirds and one half is only one sixth. I'd say this is a fine split, in terms of Ubisoft's work paying off.

If the split was 25-75, it would be a problem.

No split would be a problem. People were given a choice who to play and that's good. They just chose what they preferred. Nothing more, nothing less.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I wanted to start the game over with kassandra next after I beat it with Alexios. Is it worth it? Is the story completely different for her or are the scenes just swapping the characters out?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what i meant...I agreed with what the poster I replied to said. Then I just wrote what you quoted.

And for example, inserting a Token minority character in a story just to say it's a diverse cast, giving that character no benefit/development isn't being diverse. That's an example for what you quoted. Not that it's what's going on in the game. WE NEED DIVERSITY. My issue with this thread was the shaming and claiming you didn't play the game right Just because they chose what they preferred.
Even diversity in the background is better than no diversity at all. Look at some issues people had with The Witcher 3 and the lack of black NPCs in the base game. Then compare that to the diversity of Horizon's NPCs and how much people enjoyed and valued that. Just having diversity in the world makes a game more inclusive than it would be otherwise.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Sad, although not too surprising.

I think only 20% of people played Mass Effect with Best Shep, for example. Femshep was significantly less popular in spite of superior voice acting.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alexios gay romance was a fun ride. Lykaon and the best one Thaletos was more than enough.

LordQuas

Oct 27, 2017
I get having a preference, but is it really that big of a deal? Aren't they the same character?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
As a Bi- man I usually play as the female character because I find that I generally enjoy that more, but I am not at all surprised.

In fact, 1/3 is actually much higher than I would guess.

Yeah I'm not gay and I'd probably play as Kassandra but what the fuck is with people in here saying "it's a shame" or "they made a mistake"?

This is like the definition of going too far in the other direction.

No its not? Those are quite tame in terms of complaints.

I get having a preference, but is it really that big of a deal? Aren't they the same character?

It is not a big deal and most people aren't treating it as such.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
While thats true im not disappointed cause playing a gay man is rare as hell in a videogame.
That's fair. I think a full game with a sole female protag, followed (or preceded, whatever) by a full game featuring a sole gay male protag, would have been much better though.

Hell, I don't think there's a single AAA game featuring a pre-set gay male protagonist as sole playable protagonist, is there?

Edit: oh and also I kinda feel that gay Alexios was almost an afterthought, considering there's twice as many potential female love interests as there are males. Roleplaying as a straight female or a gay male is penalized compared to playing as gay Kassandra or straight Alexios. It kinda sucks.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This news disappoints Kassandra.

assassinscreedodysseya5ds4.png
The new female reboot of God of War looks badass.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
That's fair. I think a full game with a sole female protag, followed (or preceded, whatever) by a full game featuring a sole gay male protag, would have been much better though.

Hell, I don't think there's a single AAA game featuring a pre-set gay male protagonist as sole playable protagonist, is there?
There isnt as far as i know, so you can understand why i would always pick the gay male option in any game i can.
I'm not opposed to play an AC or any other game with a sole female protagonist tho. Ubisoft is certainly having minorities represention a whole lot more than most software houses for sure.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I call bullshit, I have yet to met anyone on social media who used him

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Why the "surprise"? It's been known since the dawn of time that male protagonist will always be preferred over female. Gamers "rise up" and all that shit and will avoid female characters when given a choice. Whether it's FemShep or whatever other hand gives you choice, even in MMOs you see more male characters running instead of female.

Kassandra is an amazing character, but when given a choice to choose one without knowing much about the characters prehand, folks will go for the male protagonist.

I hope there's a game in the future where both male and female characters have ridiculously opposite personalities, to the extend that picking a male character gives you a bad ending because he will turn evil or some shit. That'll be awesome. Having the same personality with dialogue swaps or minor changes will not help anyone to make a decision between looks and gender.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
No split would be a problem. People were given a choice who to play and that's good. They just chose what they preferred. Nothing more, nothing less.

If too few people were choosing the female character, I expect it would stop returning in future games. Business execs would question why they're putting in the development and voice acting expense, etc etc.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I loved my playthrough with Kassandra, but not entirely sure why anyone is looking too deeply into these stats. It's not like people's choices about who they play as is indicative of some type of social progress or anything. Myriad factors would go into the character selection, not just 'respect for women', 'strong female leads' etc. I look forward to playing as Alexios in my next playthrough. More than anything, I'm just glad people bought and enjoyed the game.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I call bullshit, I have yet to met anyone on social media who used him

Then perhaps more casual gamers are off social media rather than on social media.
If too few people were choosing the female character, I expect it would stop returning in future games. Business execs would question why they're putting in the development and voice acting expense, etc etc.
Then they should've stopped investing like decades ago. There's always a market for things, and I'm sure a lot of people (33%) bought this for Kassandra.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why the "surprise"? It's been known since the dawn of time that male protagonist will always be preferred over female. Gamers "rise up" and all that shit and will avoid female characters when given a choice. Whether it's FemShep or whatever other hand gives you choice, even in MMOs you see more male characters running instead of female.

Kassandra is an amazing character, but when given a choice to choose one without knowing much about the characters prehand, folks will go for the male protagonist.

I hope there's a game in the future where both male and female characters have ridiculously opposite personalities, to the extend that picking a male character gives you a bad ending because he will turn evil or some shit. That'll be awesome. Having the same personality with dialogue swaps or minor changes will not help anyone to make a decision between looks and gender.
Lmao what the fuck

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, interesting. I was fully expecting it to go in favor of Kassandra, even if just by a little bit. It'd be neat if there were surveys in the game that asked why you chose one character or the other because I'm legitimately curious why the split is that much.

Most console video game players are male (for context 27% of Assassins's Creed Syndicate players were female)
Male players prefer same gendered characters

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Kassandra is a brilliant character so it's a bit of a shame so many players missed out on that experience. That said, if players prefer playing as a male character then choosing Alexios was the right choice for their playthrough.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
huh. the first? really? nobody else has really been likeable?
As someone that has only played the games before with Ezio, Altair, Connor and Edward(so AC1,2,3 and Black Flag) what would you say are the ones that rank high?
Kassandra has personally been the first AC protagonist that I connected with. Part of it is a certain type of acknowledgment of how she is actually superhuman + the squabbles with the crew like Barnabas and being able to lay low on the superstition helped. There was a certain feeling of being able to connect better to the characters agency not sure if it's just cause of the flavor choice dialogue. I hear good things about Bayek so far.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
When you play this game, what's the default option? I wonder if the split is because a lot of players just mashed A through the character selection screen or something.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Their fault. Even in the game it defaults to the guy. They should have made whoever it defaulted to random.