• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.destructoid.com/assassi...7.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Phillips notes that although the split ended up being "two third Alexios" and "one third Kassandra," that number actually "surprised" him. He clarifies that during playtests the split was roughly 50/50, and that in the end he even though that there would be "a little bit more Kassandra." Phillips shares that beyond that initial choice, all of the rest of the choices surprised the team.

I couldn't find the Game Informer interview. If someone find it it I will post that.
It's a strike contrast to Era's poll where 76% of the voters in the OT played as Kassandra.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am gay, I like men, hence played as Alexios. Screw you if you are going to try and shame me for not picking Kassandra.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Huh, interesting. I was fully expecting it to go in favor of Kassandra, even if just by a little bit. It'd be neat if there were surveys in the game that asked why you chose one character or the other because I'm legitimately curious why the split is that much.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, since most gamers are men.

I havent bought the game yet (year end budget has of course, went haywire) but I made up my mind to play as Kassandra though.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually not one to say people are playing a game wrong, but they played the game wrong. Kassandra is fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just like Shepard in Mass Effect. And I believe the interview is in the most recent issue of GI. Personally I went with Alexios but after finishing I wish I played as Kassandra.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Absolutely disgusting

Edit: this is a shitty joke, I wasn't trying to seriously shit over people who prefer Alexious, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised in the least. Anyone that looks at the larger gaming audience(which is the target audience) and how they react to things gets a very telling picture of the general politics and beliefs that are held. (Don't fucking even quote me to tell your own little anecdote about how this isn't true, like no shit it isn't true for a lot of people I'm talking just the general numbers, there is a fucking reason that it wasn't that long ago that the funding parties strongly believed games with female protagonist won't sell and it still shows in the way the marketing goes.)

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly consider this good news considering the progress made where only 10% of Mass Effect players picked FemShep.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am gay, I like men, hence played as Alexios. Screw you if you are going to try and shame me for not picking Kassandra.
Yeah I'm not gay and I'd probably play as Kassandra but what the fuck is with people in here saying "it's a shame" or "they made a mistake"?

This is like the definition of going too far in the other direction.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played as Alexios and thought he was pretty good, reading ERA you would have thought they just got some random person of the street to do it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Also people got choice, people choosed character so what is all this talk about shame?

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
i played as alexios. i never play other genres on games but thats just me. i see tons of woman skins on bfv so i guess people want to play that way.

V3rt1go

Oct 25, 2017
I played with Kassandra and that helped me feel that I played the best Assassin's Creed.

Oct 27, 2017
If I played I would probably pick Alexios simply because that's the cooler name. I know kassandras (though probably spelled with a c). Pretty milquetoast.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
giphy.gif

Hell yeah! My boy keeps winning 💪🏻

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I picked Alexios when I started, but after 4 or so hours, I couldn't deal with the VA. I chose to replay the first 4 hours of a game rather than deal with that VA. I thought more people might've done the same.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on my gold edition after buying it on the Ubi store for a discount. I was initially thinking of going Alexios just because, as TheLegendOfMart said:

Screw you if you are going to try and shame me for not picking Kassandra.

A lot of the discourse around it seemed like people overcompensating for the lack of female representation in games by shaming others for not picking her, and it all felt really fucking gross. I'm not gay like TheLegendOfMart, but I do generally prefer playing as male characters. 99% of games that let me create me own character, I create a male. I prefer it, and I don't care for being told I'm wrong for that. Then I looked up comparison videos and the first thing I noticed was that dialogue was nearly identical, reinforcing my choice, but then the second thing I noticed was that the way each character was ACTED was different- Kassandra feels more upbeat, humorous, and optimistic, and Alexios felt more brooding and downcast, which is far too common to video game protagonists (and Western media in general). So now I'm thinking I'll pick Kassandra, but I still detest most of the discourse i've read about the decision.

As someone yet to start the game, I'd welcome any comparisons that at least attempt to be objective about pros/cons, and not just conclude that Kassandra is better because she's a woman. I think gaming needs more well-rounded, better written female protagonists, and if that's the case here, then awesome. If the only argument is she's a woman and therefore better, no thanks.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they still keep making diverse characters for us to play as. A lot of people are saying that 'most gamers are men', but maybe one of the reasons why this is is because Women never feel represented enough in gaming to bother trying to get into it. By having more female protags, we can start to change this.

(There's also the sexist bullshit that women have to start contending with by their teens that push them away from having fun and basically prepares them for handmaiden-hood for the rest of their lives, but I'm not going to start)

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
That's a pretty good split considering how well the game sold. Lots of people playing as both characters. Which hopefully means we'll get more choices like this in the future.