• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Wife and I leave on our honeymoon tomorrow and we're definitely excited. We will be in the Republic of Ireland for two weeks. We have a variety of Airbnbs reserved and a rental car ready at Dublin airport when we arrive. Just an FYI, this is not our first time doing extended international travel together - so we already know we're good travel partners.

So, ERA, what advice do you have? Anything that we shouldn't miss? Advice about culture and customs? Any kick-ass breweries or distilleries that are just visit?

Any folks from Ireland here? What advice would you give?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Oh jeez.

The Ring of Kerry was great as a bus tour, but I could see myself spending weeks traveling in just that area.

Anyway, Jameson and Guinness are in Dublin, so there's that.

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
Look up and go to the Mizen Head (Co. Cork). My wife and I did something very similar, and we enjoyed the Mizen Head infinitely more than the Cliffs of Moher. Way more scenic cliffs, way better vantage points, with at most a dozen other people there.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
The weather is fantastic at the moment, so your timing is pretty lucky. Galway is great, and a short distance from it is Salthill, a beach/coastal town with plenty of ice-cream shops. Not sure what parking will be like in salthill but there are convenient buses running to/from it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Where are your airbnbs? Would help with knowing what you can accomplish.

Random stuff I love:

Token in Dublin

Get a burger at Bunsen

Go to the Dingle Distillery if you plan on being in Kerry at all.

Get some Murphy's Ice Cream.

Try to get out to Skellig Michael by boat if you can.

Woodsey

Oct 29, 2017
Depends which way you're headed. Go north and see Giants Causeway / Bushmills distillery and Game of Thrones or across West to Galway and the wild Atlantic coast etc..

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to Dublin and also go visit the Cliffs of Moher. The Cliffs of Moher are the Dark Souls of Ireland's seaside.

Woodsey

Oct 29, 2017
Well we're doing a whole circuit of the island so we will be able to visit most of these places. Heard great things about the Bushmills Distillery

Awesome, North Coast is great then - the open is in Portrush week after next so it could be very busy - but Bushmills, Giants Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge would be a great day out.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Ask around on /r/IrishTourism, they'll have the best tips and advice to give you.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cliffs of Moher are rad
The Burren is neat
Jameson's Distillery is great. When I went a few years ago you could get in free by checking in at some bars.
Leap Castle - crazy and probably the 'most haunted'
Cork is an awesome town
Ring of Kerry

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
As an Irishman, why?

Seriously tho, you couldn't pick a better time to go, the weather is amazing

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, North Coast is great then - the open is in Portrush week after next so it could be very busy - but Bushmills, Giants Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge would be a great day out.

These are all good shouts.

Marble Arch caves in county Fermanagh are pretty cool. If you're going to Galway - which you defo should - might as well head to the Aran Islands as well. Enniscrone is a small quaint village, maybe a bit touristy now, but the view of the sea is great and the size of the place makes everything walkable. Rock of Cashel is the best castle on the island bar NONE. Cork is a great city. You get a great view of Belfast from Black Mountain, the same with Scrabo Tower on Newtonards. Leitrim has Glencar waterfall which is alright, mostly a stop on another destination.

OP
OP
APerfectOrganism

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
These are all good shouts.

Marble Arch caves in county Fermanagh are pretty cool. If you're going to Galway - which you defo should - might as well head to the Aran Islands as well. Enniscrone is a small quaint village, maybe a bit touristy now, but the view of the sea is great and the size of the place makes everything walkable. Rock of Cashel is the best castle on the island bar NONE. Cork is a great city. You get a great view of Belfast from Black Mountain, the same with Scrabo Tower on Newtonards. Leitrim has Glencar waterfall which is alright, mostly a stop on another destination.
We will be in Kilkenny, A smaller place west of Galway, Sligo, Wicklo, and Dublin for reference.

As an Irishman, why?

Seriously tho, you couldn't pick a better time to go, the weather is amazing
The weather is like the same here in Washington State! Perfect transition for us. Why Ireland? It's somewhere new for us, we are big beer and liquor tourists, and Ireland is practically a mythical place for American tourists. Always a destination.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
We will be in Kilkenny, A smaller place west of Galway, Sligo, Wicklo, and Dublin for reference.

Big Kilkenny is in Leinster and near Waterford and Cashel, Galway and Sligo are both North West of it in Connaught. Unless there's a small Kilkenny I've never heard of? If you are in Big Kilkenny you're close to the Rock of Cashel and Cahir town which are both lovely.

Oct 25, 2017

The weather is like the same here in Washington State! Perfect transition for us. Why Ireland? It's somewhere new for us, we are big beer and liquor tourists, and Ireland is practically a mythical place for American tourists. Always a destination.
Western Washington and Ireland only have similar weather for like ~9 months of the year. Summer here in Washington is quite a bit different however in that it's actually sunny and dry lol.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Rock of Cashel is kind of weird and unique as ancient fortified structures go. Used to be the seat of the kings of munster before being donated to the church.
RockOfCashelSummer1986.jpg

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
Pubs in Kilkenny are great. Glendalough in Wicklow is well worth a visit. Bring plenty of Snickers for the locals ;)

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Pubs in Kilkenny are great. Glendalough in Wicklow is well worth a visit. Bring plenty of Snickers for the locals ;)
I was just going to mention both of these places. Kilkenny is such a beautiful town. I wish I spent more time there as it had so much character.
There is a giant tower you can climb there that is definitely worth trying. I didnt feel too safe up there but the view was gorgeous.

Glendalough feels like you're walking around in a fantasy world. I wish we had places like it in Canada.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you visit Galway. I had a really great time visiting Boyne Valley near Dublin. Do not, do not go to the guiness factory, biggest tourist trap I've ever been too.
And 2 weeks is a lot of time, make sure you also go to Northern Ireland to see Belfast and the Giant's Causeway.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
You can do a nice sea-cliffe walk between Bray and Greystones as a short half-day trip from dublin. The dart (commuter train) stops in both towns, so you can get the train to one of them, walk to the next town 1-2hrs and, grab some food or drink and then head back to dublin. The whole way you will have lovely views out to sea.

I would probably go Greystones to Bray, then you can end by climbing Bray head, which has fantastic views. The station is just up from the beach in Bray, and there is a nice pizza place on the way to the station - platform pizza. Ideally go on a weekday, because it is a popular walk and can get busy on weekends.

Other things in Dublin and around

Dublin

Dublinia - Interesting museum telling the history of Dublin, starting from when it was founded by Vikings. I went for the first time in years, about a month ago and found it really interesting. Its funny the things you forget about history. Dublin went from being a "viking" city, to being an "english" city, and was the centre of British power in Ireland for about 700 years. Its strange because now Dublin is a quintessentially Irish place, but through most of its history that was not the case.

Dublin Castle - Interesting place, get the guided tour, the guides are quite informative and bring the history to life. I would suggest visiting Dublinia first as it will prime you with the knowledge that will make the castle more interesting!

Nearby:
Powerscourt - stately home with beautiful gardens- considered one of the nicest gardens in the world! There is a nice restaurant on site. Travelling with your (new) wife, I think it would be quite romantic.

Glendalough
Monastry and lake, in a really beatiful setting. If you are not renting a car, I would presume that there are regular busses or coaches from Dublin.

OP
OP
APerfectOrganism

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
APerfectOrganism How did your trip go? My wife and I are planning a week trip in October so we'd love to hear if there were any particular highlights on your trip.
Hey! So we're currently waiting for our connecting flight home, but in a nutshell, the trip was great.

Highlights:
  • driving on the left wasn't bad if you're a competent driver. But the roads outside of cities get real tight. I'd recommend renting a car and seeing a bit of Ireland for yourself. It's a great way of exploring
  • County Wicklow, the Wild Atlantic Way, Sligo, Cliffs of Moher and Cork we're definite highlights loved everything about these places.
  • In Dublin, the Guinness storehouse is touristy but pretty impressive.
  • There is lots of good beer besides Guinness, so explore! Cork and Kilkenny had some good options
  • Check out Powerscourt and Glendalough (pronounced - Glen Duh Lock) they are incredible sights.
  • I highly recommend the National Museum of Ireland Archeology in Dublin. They have bog mummies. Nuff said
Advice:

- get car insurance if renting. We got some scratches the very first day

- if staying in Dublin, pay for a nice place. The cheaper options are shady and...less then advisable for a couple. We actually had to cancel an Airbnb after arriving at it because it was... dumpy

-The little white signs that look like an old school camera are traffic cameras. Barely any police are out radaring but they are watching you through those. Thankfully they announce themselves pretty clearly.

-cost of living was the same for us (we're from Seattle). So don't expect cheaper living anywhere. We toured most of the country and it was always pricey. But Dublin is absurd.

-Dublin's average hamburger is $20 converted to US....

-tons of people speak Gaelic, and all the signs have English and Gaelic on them.

-Gas is fucking expensive. Get a diesel if renting. We only filled up once and literally went around the entire country for two weeks.

-every place claims to have the island's top 5 fish and chips. It's a toss up lol.

TL;DR

We loved our trip. It was a beautiful honeymoon and adventure. We were busy but never felt rushed. Saw tons of sights, drank lots, ate lots, and had a beautiful time. I hope your trip in October rocks!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019
APerfectOrganism How did your trip go? My wife and I are planning a week trip in October so we'd love to hear if there were any particular highlights on your trip.

Thanks for asking! Echoing APerfectOrganism the trip was amazing. Highly recommend the west coast (Cliffs of Moher, Fanore Beach, Rosses Point, Knocknarea etc.) if you are looking for beautiful scenery, and a place to relax and get away from the hustle of things. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. If you need AirBnb suggestions, we have a few great suggestions we are happy to share!

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Our general plan is Dublin, Cork, then Galway and see the surrounding areas. We were definitely planning on renting a car. We're not much for drinking, but we're mainly there to explore the countrysides and landscapes. Dublin is probably the shortest leg of our trip but there's a few things we would like to see while we're there.

We haven't booked anywhere to stay yet as we're still trying to determine our general itinerary, but if you have AirBnb recommendations it definitely wouldn't hurt!