• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
(CNN)In the chaotic aftermath at the FBI following Director James Comey's firing, a half-dozen senior FBI officials huddled to set in motion the momentous move to open an investigation into President Donald Trump that included trying to understand why he was acting in ways that seemed to benefit Russia.
They debated a range of possibilities, according to portions of transcripts of two FBI officials' closed-door congressional interviews obtained by CNN. On one end was the idea that Trump fired Comey at the behest of Russia. On the other was the possibility that Trump didn't have an improper relationship with the Kremlin and was acting within the bounds of his executive authority, the transcripts show.

James Baker, then-FBI general counsel, said the FBI officials were contemplating with regard to Russia whether Trump was "acting at the behest of and somehow following directions, somehow executing their will."

"That was one extreme. The other extreme is that the President is completely innocent, and we discussed that too," Baker told House investigators last year. "There's a range of things this could possibly be. We need to investigate, because we don't know whether, you know, the worst-case scenario is possibly true or the President is totally innocent and we need to get this thing over with — and so he can move forward with his agenda."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/politics/trump-fbi-debate-investigation/index.html

And the GOP did fuck all, protecting him at every turn.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I'm wondering if this is building up to a treason accusation against Trump. All of this new stuff that's come out in the last few days feels like it's going beyond collusion.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I'm wondering if this is building up to a treason accusation against Trump. All of this new stuff that's come out in the last few days feels like it's going beyond collusion.
Yeah it's kinda weird that this stuff is all coming out back to back like this.

If he isn't, which I still think is possible, Russia at the very least infiltrated his campaign and surrounded him with stooges.
It definitely still wouldn't surprise me if Trump wasn't a stooge and is really just that stupid.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If he isn't, which I still think is possible, Russia at the very least infiltrated his campaign and surrounded him with stooges.

This would be more believable if he said one thing bad about Putin ever.

This seems like nothing. "He is either guilty or he isn't. Let's find out." Okay?

Telling a governing body that their leader is quite possibly a foreign plant is FAR FAR from nothing.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
He's surely raging at this steady drip, and I love it.

I've said for awhile that I think there's a good chance that he doesn't even understand that he and his campaign were acting for Russia. However, even if that's the case, it is not comforting at all to know that the "leader" of the country is so goddamned stupid that he can't recognize an influence campaign. Also, you can't claim stupidity in court.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's what, five major, potentially (for anyone else) career ending scandals in the span or four days?

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, of course. Obama was briefed too. We've essentially been told this for months. Years?

Hillary gunned him about it in the debates.

I fucking hate people. I hate Republicans.

This timeline here, is truly the most frustrating and stupid.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We are not at war with Russia, so it can't be treason, as far as I'm aware.

Oct 30, 2017
Even if Trump wasn't actively colluding with Russia, he exercised terrible judgement in surrounding himself with complete stooges. And instead of being open, transparent, and cooperative with investigators, he sought to obstruct, and withhold critical information.

It's traitorous either way.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I swear Russia hacked the RNC and informed Trump (via one of his many intermediaries) who the dirtiest Republicans were, so that Trump could stack his cabinet with them.

Literally filling the swamp with blackmail candidates.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
He gets his talking points from Fox News and the Republican party, and it's very possible that they've been infiltrated by Russian agents, so I don't think that matters.

And insisting on private conversations with Putin that even high-ranking members of Trump's administration aren't privy to? Is that all FOX News, as well? Come on.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually discussing this in the New York Times thread right now. I think if Russia is considered an enemy of the US then we don't need to officially be at war with them in order to accuse someone of treason.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Could a Democratic Congress not at some stage declare war retroactively given that Russia committed cyber attacks and other active measures without its knowledge? Many experts have called this a new cold war era...

I'm actually discussing this in the New York Times thread right now. I think if Russia is considered an enemy of the US then we don't need to officially be at war with them in order to accuse someone of treason.
Also this.

Definition: In Article III, Section 3 of the United States Constitution, treason is specifically limited to levying war against the US, or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Conviction requires two witnesses or a confession in open court.[2]

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So when Trump goes to jail for treason, what happens to his two Supreme Court picks?
I mean, you wouldn't let two people chosen by a traitor lead your country's justice system until their death, right?

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So when Trump goes to jail for treason, what happens to his two Supreme Court picks?
I mean, you wouldn't let two people chosen by a traitor lead your country's justice system until their death, right?

They're going nowhere. Republicans would fight to the death to keep them there.

Best case scenario would be Gorsuch resigning as he seems somewhat normal for a Conservative, but he would then be replaced by another psycho chosen by Pence.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even the possibility that Trump is a stooge for a foreign government should have caused panic among the GOP instead of circling the wagons.

What a farce.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I swear Russia hacked the RNC and informed Trump (via one of his many intermediaries) who the dirtiest Republicans were, so that Trump could stack his cabinet with them.

^
This is what I'm thinking, it would explain why this investigation is taking so long, in the end I can see multiple Senate and GOP members going down with him

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The GOP needs to be jailed, at least a good majority of them, by the time Mueller's case is completed. They are accessories to treason.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And insisting on private conversations with Putin that even high-ranking members of Trump's administration aren't privy to? Is that all FOX News, as well? Come on.
I think that's largely irrelevant. Trump has made his intentions to improve relations with Russia known since early on. It's very likely he made concessions to them to ease tensions and doesn't want us to know how much he gave up. At the end of the day, regardless of anything else, Putin is a strong negotiator (certainly stronger than Trump), and Trump is deathly afraid of looking soft.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
^
This is what I'm thinking, it would explain why this investigation is taking so long, in the end I can see multiple Senate and GOP members going down with him

Every time Lindsey Graham has a meeting with Trump, the first being on the golf course, he comes back and is so into Trump its scary.

Oct 30, 2017
This seems like nothing. "He is either guilty or he isn't. Let's find out." Okay?
The FBI (even with it's controversies and past misdealings) is an organization that does care about their reputation. Lack of public confidence in the institution undermines their ability to do their job.

To go to the DOJ to launch an investigation into the President is a major undertaking. One that risks the FBI's independence and credibility.
Then to brief Congress is another level beyond.

To chalk this up as nothing is not helpful. To understand this investigation, it's important to understand the origins.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's largely irrelevant. Trump has made his intentions to improve relations with Russia known since early on. It's very likely he made concessions to them to ease tensions and doesn't want us to know how much he gave up. At the end of the day, regardless of anything else, Putin is a strong negotiator (certainly stronger than Trump), and Trump is deathly afraid of looking soft.

So he looked strong by *checks notes* giving Putin everything he wanted and more.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

It is not treason if we're not at war.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's important to point out that we only have circumstantial evidence that Congressional leadership/the Gang of Eight was fully read in on the counter-intelligence investigation. We also don't know what the exact theory of the case was when they received this assumed briefing.

If investigators had reason to believe one or more legislators were compromised, they may have been reluctant to show all of it.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Trump would go down for something worse than collusion then we're in full blown constitutional crisis mode.

The logical thinking should be that everything Trump did should be struck from the record but you know that surviving GOP members would actively fight to preserve his supreme court picks.

It is not treason if we're not at war.
The definition of treason looks like it has a little wiggle room but that's only if Russia is officially an enemy of the United States. So most likely they can't officially accuse him of treason.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Trump is obviously a Russian stooge. The only honest question is "how".

1. Is he knowingly and intentionally working in their interests?
2. Is he just a easily manipulated pawn that doesn't realize he's being wound up and pointed in Russia's best interests?
3. Is he being pressured by the threat of compromising material to work in their interests?

I would put my money on 2 and/or 3 before 1. Just because Trump is so painfully stupid and easy to manipulate.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I do think there is still a strong possibility that Trump is not directly stooged to Russia and instead, through the power of his truly awesome stupidity, Mr. Magoo'd his way into being surrounded by Russian influenced political actors. That's only because I've learned to never underestimate the power of Trump's stupidity.

However, I do believe he's hiding something much more damning than "concessions" from that meeting. He can explain away concessions to his base because they'll believe anything he says.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Even the possibility that Trump is a stooge for a foreign government should have caused panic among the GOP instead of circling the wagons.

What a farce.

Yeah I just don't know how the United States comes back from this. If the GOP was just sitting on the sidelines, waiting for it to play out maybe it'd be different. But instead the constant defense, active hostility, and dismissal of the Russia investigation leaves the US in quite the terrible spot for any future normalcy.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do think there is still a strong possibility that Trump is not directly stooged to Russia and instead, through the power of his truly awesome stupidity, Mr. Magoo'd his way into being surrounded by Russian influenced political actors. That's only because I've learned to never underestimate the power of Trump's stupidity.
Exactly. I think Trump is incredibly stupid, and also didn't want the job from everything we know and have seen.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

As much as Trump has normalised the obscene, by contrast the idea that he's a traitor has also become normalised in the media, and is now part of our daily discourse. A good thing!

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

So he has no problems consistently looking weak and like a buffoon in front of every other world leader, just not with Putin? Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
He's a stooge for whoever gives him money or real estate deals.

This isn't rocket science.

Looking at the bottomline of all this - Trump has been carelessly assisting Russia with their agenda just so he can build a fucking Trump Tower in Moscow and can snag a piece of any oil deals that are tied up in sanctions at the moment.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Trump's actions have been too calculated for me to assume he's just so incredibly stupid that he's playing right into Putin's hand without realizing it.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I think Trump is incredibly stupid, and also didn't want the job from everything we know and have seen.

Again, I think a little differently mostly because Trump insults EVERYONE but is terrified of doing so with Putin, on top of everything else. Why?

Where's an example of Trump calling Putin "Little Rocket Man" like with Kim or blasting against Xi or Erdogan?

Oct 30, 2017

It's certainly possible. Russia certainly has an interest in hacking the RNC, too. They can get leverage. But that's a major secret that would be kept under wraps. I find it hard to imagine that that would not have leaked from an RNC staffer or politician that they were being blackmailed by Russia in some fashion.

I think really what's more likely is that most politicians are in the game of self preservation. It's bad politics to oppose Donald Trump with a raging fervor. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of a series of nasty Trump tweets.
So they will look the other way for the Russia investigation. Or they will actively obstruct it for political expediency.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is not normal.

It's been said a billion times, and it still needs to be said: THE FBI BEING TOLD BY CONGRESS THE PRESIDENT MIGHT BE A PUPPET FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY IS NOT FUCKING NORMAL.

I feel like if Trump would go down for something worse than collusion then we're in full blown constitutional crisis mode.

The logical thinking should be that everything Trump did should be struck from the record but you know that surviving GOP members would actively fight to preserve his supreme court picks.

The definition of treason looks like it has a little wiggle room but that's only if Russia is officially an enemy of the United States. So most likely they can't officially accuse him of treason.
I just wish when technology started getting involved in voting (and even before that honestly), there was a clause in the Constitution for what happens if an election is compromised in some manner (such as hacking from a foreign country, etc.). I know the allegations are not that the Russians necessarily "hacked" the election by getting into US voting systems and changing votes, but instead ran a propoganda campaign.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I think the big takeaway here is that Nunes, Mitch McConnell, and Paul Ryan have known about this investigation from day one. Their actions (or inaction) with regard to the investigation (and the appointment of Kav/Whitaker) takes on new meaning in that light.