• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
shining-the-holy-ark-04.png

shining.jpg

gfs_57181_2_7.jpg

Oh hell naw. Shining the Holy Ark looks great.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
except most people don't hate it because they hate the the aesthetic, they hate it because they associate it with furry people and yiffing and stuff. before they knew all of this from internet they were perfectly fine with it in cartoons but once they found out about the lifestyle and sexual acts of furry people it suddenly became disgusting. dust has a perfectly innocent and beautiful art style and people would have loved if a game like that was released during the SNES days but the style gets hate because it was released recently.

exactly

You're quite defensive about this. Are you a furry? Honestly asking.

Also, there's a difference between this:
35460-Star_Fox_(USA)-3.png

and this:
Dust-An-Elysian-Tail-small-49.jpg

I don't even really care about furries or that particular lifestyle, but I think Dust's style is off-putting.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War, Darksiders, and Warhammer. I can't stand that beef'd out space marine aesthetic.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
pretty much any flash looking game.
I avoid those... the art, the animation... ... I just can't do it ... no matter how it looks...

Cloudberry-Kingdom-pic-8.jpg

meatboyforever_5F00_610a.jpg

ss_008a76bd0ab314c8140dd1a7ec61090c122d1779.1920x1080.jpg

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't say that I've ever had this problem! Older and "ugly" games certainly look less appealing, but it hasn't even stopped me from playing something. In fact, I often find that I'll play an "ugly" game and come away impressed at what it did based on when it came out.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of NS4/PS1 early 3D stuff did NOT AGE WELL. I know some people are nostalgic for those blocky polygons, but I'd rather draw the line at the 360's release and say "never again".

Also, Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite's entire presentation is a fucking garbage fire. I still can't fathom how they went from MvC3's unique and great art style to this shit. It's like they planned for cel shading but forgot to turn it on and instead just cranked up the chromatic aberration instead. (Speaking of which, that's also an effect that needs to die in a fucking fire.)

<Star Fox>
and this:
<Dust>

I don't even really care about furries or that particular lifestyle, but I think Dust's style is off-putting.
Dust's art-style isn't even that "furry bait" anyway, though - that's an incredibly broad brush. It's just how that particular artist does anthropomorphic animals. It's not even bad art, just rather stylised in a particular way, and the game in motion is very well animated, nevermind the environments are gorgeous.

I mean, okay, if that stuff ain't your cup of tea that's fine, but I rarely see people criticise the art on its own merits and just go straight for the nebulous "deviantart/furry" angle, with a tone that suggests that association is offensive somehow. I'm going to concur that the hostility towards the character art style is generally a ridiculous overreaction due to less than positive impressions of the "furry fandom" itself - it's usually what it looks like to me.

Also, I'm going to note the irony of using Star Fox as an example when even as far back as the SNES days you had the comic with a rather sexy love interest, a rather "realistic furry" art style, and later we'd get friggn' Krystal.

This is how Vita owners felt in 2012 tbh.
Haha nope

I loved the Vita and all, but I would've gladly traded that high-res screen for a 3D screen any day. Same with the Switch, honestly. 3DS games always looked their best in actual 3D, to the point where 2D screenshots actually don't do the games justice (the 3D view actually makes games sharper and less aliased than in 2D). Playing games with a proper 3D screen is just such a treat.

Last edited:

Raina

Oct 25, 2017

35460-Star_Fox_(USA)-3.png

and this:
Dust-An-Elysian-Tail-small-49.jpg

I'm a furry and don't like Dust's artstyle because I think it looks too bland.

That said, people using Dust's artstyle to shit on furries aren't really critiquing the game, so they're kind of derailing the thread quite a bit.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
A lot of "Ugly" games have great aesthetic even today, like the Zeldas and Marios of the N64 days, but some were simply technically impressive and nothing else, which would be Crysis in maybe 20 years and those kind of games just don't age well at all once their technical feats have been outpaced.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Commander Keen? Twilight Princess? Monster Hunter? Shadow of the Empire? This thread is madness, all those games looks good and are well worth playing!

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll see your newgrounds and raise you a deviant-art.

ISERdOn.jpg

This might be a huge shame because by all accounts the game is very good. I just can't play it because it looks like what happens when you type furry into google image search... Observe:

cHnfPvr.jpg

was this game released on ps+ some time back? i have not touched it because of that art style

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Also, I'm going to note the irony of using Star Fox as an example when even as far back as the SNES days you had the comic with a rather sexy love interest, a rather "realistic furry" art style, and later we'd get friggn' Krystal.

I was just focusing on the first game, but it definitely did spiral later, yeah.

That said, people using Dust's artstyle to shit on furries aren't really critiquing the game, so they're kind of derailing the thread quite a bit.

The thread is about games you find too ugly to play. I wouldn't necessarily call Dust "ugly," but the style is off-putting enough to me that I'll probably never play it.

don't think i'm defensive at all. as for your question
tumblr_static_tumblr_m7krh.gif

i'm not
i don't see a big difference between starfox and dust and how you can like one and be vehemently opposed to the other but you're entitled to your opinion

Haha, fair enough. I'm not "vehemently opposed" to it. I just think it's off-putting. If it floats someone's boat, then more power to 'em.[/QUOTE]

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I bought Civ VI this weekend and genuinely was appalled at that art design. It just seems like an incoherent mess. I've never actually experienced that before.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
All 3ds games look like shit in trailers or images. They only look good on the system itself or citra.

I always thought so many of the character models we're terrible in Bioware games. I've tried to play the original ME so many times I just can't do it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not a furry, but a fan of well done anthropomorphic characters. Dust IS pretty bad. And I agree, shitting on the furry community is kinda pointless. :/

Zipzo

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I have this problem with Bloodborne. Love the art, hate the tech. I just get pulled out of the experience 'cause of 'little' things like framerate or aliasing. Wish I didn't, would be able to enjoy lots more games (like Bloodborne).
That's interesting, for me, it was the look of the player created character. It felt like the male and female models had no difference, and the customization had no noticeable change on your character. If there's something I hate the most, it's a character creator that doesn't actually let you look different, because why have it at all.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
Graphics really don't bother me normally, but I was playing Operation Flashpoint Red River on PSNow, (Don't. It's that bad. But it has the most realistic military slang I've ever heard in a game.).
The streaming made it worse and it would strain my eyes after an hour or so of play.

I'm assuming it's because it was streaming, but it was really bad. So imagine this bland, brown landscape with my bland brown hands and gun, then squint so it gets blurry. It's a milsim game, so 1 shot and I'm dead, making it about has hard as Dark Souls while drunk.

maxresdefault.jpg

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one, but I never had any issues with early polygonal graphics and I think it's crazy to say that anything in ps2 era looks too ugly, let alone HD era and later. I hate just how 16-bit sprite graphics look. Bought SNES mini, could barely play any of the games. Even games like persona 1-2, which I would love to experience to get a context for how one of my favorite series began, look too ugly for me to play.
Except for FF7. I loved how FF8 and FF9 looked and FF6 is one of the very few 16-bit games that I liked the look of. FF7 is just a mess.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Although it has charm and a good soundtrack Red Dead Revolver has not aged well.
hqdefault.jpg

latest

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't play Dust because of the graphics you'll miss out on a damn good thing. The gameplay is tight and the graphics are beautiful in motion. I grew up on Disney movies - before the internet - so anthropomorphised characters don't automatically make me think 'furry'. It's a great game.