• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Wh... What in the fuck? Just.... what?

Edit. I guess, this can be useful in a way, but they should have really leave the part in which you are the teacher, not the gunner camera.

Edit 2. It's frigging sad you guys reached this point with your gun violence

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure. School shootings started with dumbass teenagers modding DOOM to look like their school and wanting to make it real.

Now the Army will just fucking do it for you.

This seems in about as poor taste as possible.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We live in a country where this is seen as a reasonable solution, instead of, oh i don't know, helping people mentally before they get to that point or preventing access to the tools that allow them to do this.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's not available to the public. People are reacting to this the wrong way.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is screwed up and absurd to the point where it's kinda funny how short-sighted they are. What were they thinking?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This can't be real.

Is this April 1st?

What the actual fuck is this and who thought this was a good idea.

Wow.. this is just horrible. This can't be real?!

This is screwed up and absurd to the point where it's kinda funny how short-sighted they are. What were they thinking?

You all would prefer that teachers get no training on how to best survive an active shooter situation?

Yes, it sucks that the reality is that something like this is necessary, but better to have teachers trained on best practices for survival, as opposed to saying "too bad, so sad, if a shooter does show up, you're ON YOUR OWN!!!"

Using games as training tools is also not a new thing for the US Army. They had their own custom SNES game.

Nov 3, 2017
I would never vote for him, but I am so fucking grateful Howard actually had the vision and courage to enact sweeping gun laws in Australia.

Watching Americans insisting it wouldn't work in their country just seems like the height of denial

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
lol. Same. US Marine here. 2 more years! My enlistment is somewhere between the best decision I've ever made, and a lot of times, the worst.

This is just sad though. Sucks that its come to this.

I'm right there with you. The Army has done a lot for me as far as paying for school but it's also been a huge double edged sword. I'll be so happy when mine is up in 2019 and I no longer have to deal with the asinine authority system and the zealots that I have to work with.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working under the assumption that the active shooter role is being assigned to military personnel or training coordinator or whoever is giving the demo to the teacher(s), while the teachers take on the roles of the teachers. If the idea is to give the teachers some kind of experience to fall back on, I can see how this might be useful. The options the teachers have are the same things they tell the teachers to do in these situations (bar door, have kids line up along wall; my wife is a teacher and this is what they practice). I think in a panicked setting, it might be easier to fall back on this type of experience than to remember a video.

Obviously this seems incredible morbid and in bad taste, but if it saves a life who gives a shit?

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
How about we don't spend millions on developing a game to teach teachers how to protect our children from gun violence and instead spend it on trying to fix the reason we have all this gun violence? You know the guns?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some you have a problem with something only trying keep people safe?
Because it's a really shitty way to try to keep people safe. I can't imagine a school shooting simulator like this actually helping someone in a real world situation.

And it feels like an easy excuse to ignore the real solution to school shootings, which is gun control.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they had good intentions...why do you play as the shooter? Unless I'm missing something here.

Kobra_Zer0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see nothing wrong this, this isn't a commercial game, it's something designed to train teachers in case of a school shooting which by the way it's something that will happen again. It's really sad that the US has to create this training tool instead of fixing the gun laws that let anyone buy a military rifle, but that is the US right now.​

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Maybe after a while, but there would still be some popular twitch shitheel that gets attention by streaming it.

I guess you're right

Because they'll just get the guns anyway? In an age where you can order heroin or any illegal drug in existence off the internet shipping from another country what makes you think you can't order guns online?

Something as simple as a buyback program that also gives amnesty to those with illegal firearms would likely do wonders to get many guns off the streets

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Since when does the army have anything to do with gun control?

The issue is probably that instead of increasing our already balooning military budget we use funds to properly solve issues or shit even go to other programs that are being cut. Shit like this shows how much money the military fucking wastes.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do some you have a problem with something only trying keep people safe?

How does this help? You can learn the natural choke points and points of egress by walking round the actual school. It'll have zero impact on helping them keep their cool when a real shooter turns up.

What exactly does having a player running around firing bursts from an HK416 add?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
It's the equivalent of telling a rape victim "Here's how to not get raped again: Keep your legs closed and try not to look like you're asking for it." It's asinine.
Teaching schools techniques on how to keep children is nothing like that and in my town we already did drills for shootings with the local department.

Oct 30, 2017
Creating tools intended to keep people safe = "inflicting painful memories"

I suppose we could always try closing our eyes and just wishing away the bad things?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Even if they had good intentions...why do you play as the shooter? Unless I'm missing something here.

When the US military runs a simulation, why does it have soldiers play the role of enemy forces attacking the US military?
Why do those "enemy forces" usually run through specific scenarios that those being trained are supposed to respond to?
Why do those "enemy forces" sometimes change things up, so that those getting trained don't know what to expect?

I mean, it's pretty obvious.

What's crazy are the sheer number of people in this thread that are 100% against teachers getting trained on how to respond to an active shooter.

Yes, real life drills can be run, but they are much more costly and time consuming, especially since you'll need actors to play the children. This is a tool which can train a larger number of teachers, cheaper and more quickly.

No one likes the fact that school shootings happen. And training people to survive doesn't mean other avenues to prevent shootings should be avoided.

But holy crap and folks wanting to throw teachers into the deep end with zero training.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Oh sure. School shootings started with dumbass teenagers modding DOOM to look like their school and wanting to make it real.

That is a myth. Unless your referring to some shooting other than Columbine that I'm not aware of.

Aside from that however, I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand it's pretty morbid, but It's not being sold as a commercial product is it? Though I don't see why a game is needed to prepare teachers for this, especially since I imagine this could never truly prepare someone for an actual shooting.

Fushin

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how long until they let us conceal carry during the school day. Seems inevitable at this point in some states.