• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
U.S House Rep. Al Green has recently stated that he wants racism to be part of Trump's articles of impeachment, pointing to Andrew Johnson's impeachment articles that included racism:

December 4, 2019

One of the first House Democrats to call for President Trump's impeachment urged his colleagues on Wednesday to include instances of Trump's actions and rhetoric inflaming racial tensions in any upcoming articles of impeachment.

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas) sent a memo to fellow lawmakers arguing that Trump's "impeachable racist, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic, transphobic, xenophobic language instigating enmity and inciting violence within our society" should be taken under consideration, as he has argued since backing impeachment in 2017.

Green, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, pointed to the House passage of a resolution in July condemning Trump's tweets urging four female progressive freshman lawmakers to "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."

"Why should we pass a resolution condemning the president's racist comments and then get back to racism as usual, where racism is more of a talking point than an action item?" he wrote.

Green argued that Trump's actions inflaming racial tensions should also be considered an impeachable abuse of power. He pointed to the tenth article of impeachment against former President Andrew Johnson in 1868
, which cited his remarks blaming the "radical Congress" for "exciting that portion of the population, the black population, to arm themselves and prepare for the shedding of blood" in racial violence in New Orleans.

That article of impeachment stated that Johnson "has brought the high office of the President of the United States into contempt, ridicule and disgrace, to the great scandal of all good citizens" and therefore committed a high misdemeanor.

"To those who say that the House resolution condemning the President is enough, I say if impeachment is the remedy for invidious abuse of power related to Ukraine, it should be the remedy for invidious abuse of power related to racism in the United States. If impeachment was just for President Andrew Johnson's racist actions, it's just for President Donald Trump's racist actions," Green wrote.

"To those who say impeachment related to racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and transphobia 'will tear this country apart because the time isn't right for it,' I say this willingness to take the path of least resistance means turning a blind eye to those who suffer daily from hate in all of its insidious forms," he added.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Trump and his sycophants definitely racist but the material of this actual impeachment case is not racism. Guess it would just fall into miscellaneous high crimes and misdemeanors

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would be disappointed if the articles are anything below 5.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Completely agree with this, and will honestly be absurd if it isn't included.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This would detract from his actual impeachable offenses (not saying he shouldn't be held accountable for being a racist POS) and allow the Republicans to muddy the water. Not sure I'm a fan.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main issue with this arguement is that the impeachment articles he's citing as precedent didn't actually go through

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100 percent behind this. I know it won't make much of a difference but I wanna see the senate debate over this. They should zoom in on Goebbels immigration policy of putting children in cages in particular.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would detract from his actual impeachable offenses (not saying he shouldn't be held accountable for being a racist POS) and allow the Republicans to muddy the water. Not sure I'm a fan.

The republicans aren't waiting for an opportunity to 'muddy the water,' they're actively supporting fake news, alt-right fringe conspiracy theories about the actual intent of the proceedings to create uncertainty as it is.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The republicans aren't waiting for an opportunity to 'muddy the water,' they're actively supporting fake news, alt-right fringe conspiracy theories about the actual intent of the proceedings to create uncertainty as it is.

Yeah like the entire Republican strategy is to just be constantly shitting in the water

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Counterpoint: They have been muddying the waters this entire time with not a single iota of shame so I'm not sure why we're worrying about them starting now.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
He's definitely a racist, and should answer for that, but I'd be wary of including it.

It'll just add to the right's "they're just looking for reasons to kick him out!" and "they just label everyone they disagree with racist!" narratives, and then the discourse will just fall down the "critics say these incidents were racist in nature, the white house disagrees" rabbit hole.

I get it, though. Half of me just thinks "fuck it, they'll whine anyway, might as well drag everything into the light."

Oct 25, 2017
He's definitely a racist, and should answer for that, but I'd be wary of including it.

It'll just add to the right's "they're just looking for reasons to kick him out!" and "they just label everyone they disagree with racist!" narratives, and then the discourse will just fall down the "critics say these incidents were racist in nature, the white house disagrees" rabbit hole.

I get it, though. Half of me just thinks "fuck it, they'll whine anyway, might as well drag everything into the light."
Then it would be the perfect time to introduce to the public how Trump first became famous in the 70s and then build the case that he's always been corrupt.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Counterpoint: They have been muddying the waters this entire time with not a single iota of shame so I'm not sure why we're worrying about them starting now.
They have been and we have laughed at their hilarious attempts as they legitimately have no leg to stand on with regards to the Ukraine inquiry. The majority of Americans agree this was improper and are in support of impeachment.

Bringing racism into this would change the entire conversation. Not just by Republicans, but mainstream media as well. CNN is probably lusting at having panel after panel debating "Is Donald Trump racist?". Ukraine would be an afterthought.

Let's just impeach the fucker with the flagrant violation we have now.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at how some of the founders talked about impeachment and linking it to harming society itself, you could EASILY argue Trump's racism is at the top of the list for what it's done in this country.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
This is exactly why Pelosi and leadership want to keep the inquiry limited to Ukraine.

as soon as you open the door for articles unrelated to Ukraine, there will be no limiting factor and you'll end up with 40 of them. Then all 40 will individually need to be voted on, and some of those would be very hard votes for members from moderate districts.

so where we'd almost certainly end up is either (a) a bunch of vulnerable dems put their reelection in doubt by supporting articles that lack mainstream support of (b) a case where 36 out of 40 articles fail to pass the house and the republicans can assert that even the democrats think he's "90% innocent"

worse once this all gets to the senate, McConnell can shape the trial around the least popular articles and potential turn opinion from trump's crime to partisan overreach

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The idiot obviously deserves it but does this help or hurt us get to 50 votes in the Senate next year? Sadly I can't help but feel it will weaken the case for the general public unless it is focused on a specific policy decision, especially at this point in the process when the illegal Ukrainian business has been placed as the singular focus of the inquiry

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
The idiot obviously deserves it but does this help or hurt us get to 50 votes in the Senate next year? Sadly I can't help but feel it will weaken the case for the general public unless it is focused on a specific policy decision, especially at this point in the process when the illegal Ukrainian business has been placed as the singular focus of the inquiry
Locking brown refugees in cages after stating "why don't we get more white refugees" is a specific racially motivated policy decision.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Locking brown refugees in cages after stating "why don't we get more white refugees" is a specific racially motivated policy decision.
I'd agree with that. I just wonder why Green didn't list something like that as part of his previous articles of impeachment and focused on topics with less demonstrable, criminal damage like the shithole countries comment, Colin Kapernick, and the Charleston comments, which are all no doubt horrible but comparatively much weaker in terms of evidence and damages.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The Judiciary was already engaged in their own impeachment inquiry before Ukraine, and they were considering the whole package ala Andrew Johnson and Nixon. More importantly, the judiciary kept Al Green's racism referral instead of kill it back in September, so we'll see. For reference, the intelligence committee is another such referral that was also voted on among judiciary party lines.

We already know about the internal debate behind expanding:
House Democrats are debating whether to expand articles of impeachment to include charges beyond abuse of power in the Ukraine controversy, setting up a potential internal clash as the party races to impeach President Trump by Christmastime.

Members of the House Judiciary Committee and other more liberal-minded lawmakers and congressional aides have been privately discussing the possibility of drafting articles that include obstruction of justice or other "high crimes" they believe are clearly outlined in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III's report — or allegations that Trump has used his office to benefit his bottom line.

The idea, however, is running into resistance from some moderate Democrats wary of impeachment blowback in their GOP-leaning districts, as well as Democratic leaders who sought to keep impeachment narrowly focused on allegations that Trump pressured Ukraine to investigate his political rivals, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk freely.

You have my axe, Judiciary, if you expand and swarm. America needs to be made to confront the enveloping crime spree and to face reality in just how much of a piece of shit Trump is. Even with a senate show trial, may it drag as many GOP Trump sycophants down into the mud and onto their heels going into 2020.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I feel like it would alienate the impeachment more to most Americans, not just his base obviously but majority of America is racist if not *Lite* Racist and feels like people would react badly to it.