• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean why on Earth would we give the Japanese a conditional surrender after they surprise attacked us, brutally fought us every step of the way, and committed war crime after war crime?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
There were some posts in the other thread (about Barbenheimer or whatever) that said that the Japanese were using the Soviet negotiations as a delaying tactic to negotiate some sort of surrender that was not absolute (ie: keeping the regime in power). I may be mixing a few disparate things up but I'm interested in hearing the rebuttal.

This writer did a great job in sourcing his points. Many are primary too. I'd like to see if that can be rebutted. He also wrote a book, so it's not some fly by night analysis.
In general, there's never going to be a 100% confirmed accounting of how the various options on the table would have worked out or not. Can't A/B test history.

By 1945, we've essentially baked in the idea that Japanese people are fanatics for the Emperor and will go down to the last child if they have to (and there were factions within the military who wanted that, including an attempted coup to stop the surrender). So we've now turned our populace (and generals are no exception) into racists (well, more racist) who can't fathom a Japanese surrender without a major show of force (either mainland invasion or the bombs).

Then you have sketchy information transfer. No cell phones, people are wiring in telegrams in code and shorthand, with long delays between information exchanges. Sometimes codes get intercepted but not always. Japan did send a message to the Soviets on July 21st that they could not accept unconditional surrender, and that message was supposedly intercepted by the Allies. Did they believe that? Was it a bluff by Japan? Did we miss a message or misunderstand what we intercepted?

Again, can't A/B test it.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I hate these conversations because there is one crucial thing that is ALWAYS not discussed. This is the map of the Pacific theatre the day the Japanese surrendered:

zEOzz.jpg

People on both sides of the argument weighing the lives of Japanese and Americans when no one talks about the lives of the people in these occupied areas. Each day of occupation meant more murders, rapes and tortures at the hands of Imperial Japan. Hell, Unit 731 was operating in China up until the day of the surrender, performing live vivisections on people. When they received news of the surrender of the Japanese government, they killed the people they had captured in an effort to hide their war crimes. None of these people in these areas deserved to be occupied a single extra day. I don't know whether the bombing was justified or not, but these people's lives mattered too and need to be part of the conversation.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Just from my cursory interest in history, I believe the most agreed upon stance among the majority of historians is still, Japan War Council was not unanimous on willing to surrender, and the bomb drops did escalate the end of the war. Heck, there was a last minute attempted military Coup by the Japanese military to stop the announcement of a surrender.
Yeah, truth is a grey area in the middle of what would've happened without the bomb drops.

It is somewhat telling though the Japanese didn't surrender within 24 hours after the first drop though, showing the military was still fighting back even with the terrible destruction.

Now this may be a very cold take, but I also think Japan might have saved the world here by experiencing the brunt of these weapons, as if they were not dropped and seen first hand, it is very possible their "first usage" may have been seen during the cold war at a much larger and destructive scale, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Edit: Also the Tokyo fire bombings get completely forgotten by the general public due to these atomic bombings, which were way worse on casualties.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
But no one says it was justified when their own country is affected
Maybe it has to do with the fact that Japan and their axis allies were invading foreign nations and committing genocide on a level never seen before or since and the allied powers were trying to put a stop to them?
Maybe people are willing to justify heinous actions for an ultimately good goal rather than you know, genocide?

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was a world war. Does anyone here think if the Germans or Japan, and even the allied Soviet's had the atomic bomb they wouldn't use it to their advantage during World War II?

Fire Bombings, Air Strikes, Chemical Warfare? It was war. It was horrible.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to suss out the history at this point, but I do wonder what the cold war would have looked like without the verifiable evidence of the effects of radiation on people etc that came from those bombs. It will never be justifiable but who knows how history would have turned out

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Maybe it has to do with the fact that Japan and their axis allies were invading foreign nations and committing genocide on a level never seen before or since and the allied powers were trying to put a stop to them?
Maybe people are willing to justify heinous actions for an ultimately good goal rather than you know, genocide?

Then it's ok to wipe cities if the government decides to invade other countries? good to know

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was a world war. Does anyone here think if the Germans or Japan, and even the allied Soviet's had the atomic bomb they wouldn't use it to their advantage during World War II?

Fire Bombings, Air Strikes, Chemical Warfare? It was war. It was horrible.
Yeah, this is what I don't get about these arguments. War is hell, millions of civilians were dying already through conventional means and somehow because it was done with one special bomb it's somehow worse?

Then it's ok to wipe cities if the government decides to invade other countries? good to know
How else do you propose to end a war?

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean why on Earth would we give the Japanese a conditional surrender after they surprise attacked us, brutally fought us every step of the way, and committed war crime after war crime?
I think more importantly is that most of the leaders of WW2 fought/ were involved in WW1. Conditional surrender during WW1 was one of the main reasons leading to WW2 so they sure as hell were not going to make the same mistake.

The Allies were going to make sure everyone in the Axis countries knew they lost completely.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty shit article that ignores most of the actual facts on-the-ground at the time and the actual evidence we have now of the thoughts of the Japanese government during this period, prior to their surrender. It also buries the fact that not dropping the bomb means an invasion which means MANY more deaths on both the Allied and Japanese side.

Going, "well, the Japanese were going to surrender once the Soviets invaded." Is another way of saying, "yeah, the Japanese were going to surrender after the Soviets killed more Japanese during an invasion and lost a lot of their lives in the process as well." And that's just assuming the U.S. just sat back and allowed the Soviets to invade and didn't even attempt an invasion of the mainland, didn't continue any further bombing efforts such as fire bombings, and also Japanese forces just sat back and did nothing in the interim.

Like the article uses MacArthur's statement against Truman as some proof, you know the guy that wanted to use in nukes in Korea and was trying to run against Truman? That guy? Of course, he'd say the bombings were wrong after the fact.

I saw a video on this (I can look it up if you want) that further goes into the role of the Soviet invasion. It wasn't just that Japan couldn't withstand an invasion, it was also that Japan had been in talks with Russia, so Stalin could negotiate on the Japanese behalf, so they could surrender on favorable terms. When Russia joined the allied forces, that also meant a favorable out the Japanese were hoping/waiting for was gone. With that option gone, and an invasion in the near future, they had no other options than to surrender.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
I never gave my opinion on what I think is justifiable or not. All I said is that it's far easier to justify something that is being done in order to stop mass genocide compared to something being done to aid said genocide.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to argue against unconditional surrender which I don't find very convincing. Unconditional surrender was the correct path and I don't think the onus was on the allies to give Japan an easier offramp due to their history of aggressive empire building. I also don't see why we would go to Allied leaders for the answer when we can just ask the Japanese leaders who made the decision. Let's see what they have to say.

Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should We continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization. Such being the case, how are We to save the millions of Our subjects, or to atone Ourselves before the hallowed spirits of Our Imperial Ancestors? This is the reason why We have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the Joint Declaration of the Powers.

— Extract from Emperor Hirohito's Gyokuon-hōsō surrender speech, August 15, 1945

The "one condition" faction, led by Togo, seized on the bombing as decisive justification of surrender. Kōichi Kido, one of Emperor Hirohito's closest advisers, stated, "We of the peace party were assisted by the atomic bomb in our endeavor to end the war." Hisatsune Sakomizu, the chief Cabinet secretary in 1945, called the bombing "a golden opportunity given by heaven for Japan to end the war".

These are just accessible quotes from Wikipedia but you can find arguments either way to support both positions. Personally I don't think Japan would've surrendered as quickly with just the Soviet declaration of war. The shock was one bomb destroying an entire city directly on the homeland and then knowing the enemy has multiple and it's not just a one off is much more convincing than an army getting routed in Manchuria. They've been losing battles since Midway without surrendering. Germany didn't surrender until Berlin had fallen and their leader was dead and I don't think anyone would call the Japanese in World War II less tenacious or fanatical fighters.

I also think that later Japanese attempts to push the idea that the Soviets were the primary reason for their surrender are to further prop up the idea of their victimhood and pivot away from their own victims, the primary reasons for the whole conflict started by their own aggressive actions and invasions, and the truly horrifying war crimes the Japanese empire was committing up to the last moment.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
americans can make up all the excuses they want, a single look at their racist-ass propaganda tells the real reason they dropped the bombs louder than they could ever deny on a gaming forum.
☝️

Literal crime against humanity that will most likely lead to the end of civilization eventually if capitalism doesn't beat it to the punch.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate these conversations because there is one crucial thing that is ALWAYS not discussed. This is the map of the Pacific theatre the day the Japanese surrendered:

zEOzz.jpg

People on both sides of the argument weighing the lives of Japanese and Americans when no one talks about the lives of the people in these occupied areas. Each day of occupation meant more murders, rapes and tortures at the hands of Imperial Japan. Hell, Unit 731 was operating in China up until the day of the surrender, performing live vivisections on people. When they received news of the surrender of the Japanese government, they killed the people they had captured in an effort to hide their war crimes. None of these people in these areas deserved to be occupied a single extra day. I don't know whether the bombing was justified or not, but these people's lives mattered too and need to be part of the conversation.
As true as this was, isn't the bomb drops also an experiment of their own? There was nothing heroic about the bombs.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dropping the atomic bombs has to regarded as the wrong move intrinsically. If we accept that their use was justified that means that we have acceptable uses of atomic weapons in warfare, specifically acceptable uses against non-atomic countries. That has to be a hard no regardless of other circumstances.

Try this thought experiment: pick any other historical war and send the winning side two atomic weapons a few months before the negotiated surrender. The winning side will pick two cities/population centers of the losing side and the bombs will drop on those cities, ending the war immediately a few months early. Which war and which cities do you choose?

May 14, 2021
Still amazing that after all the horrific atrocities Japan committed, many of their leaders went unpunished after the war. And they were allowed to rewrite their own history to such a laughable degree that many in Japan had no clue that Japan were the aggressors. Nothing will ever justify killing civilians with atomic weapons though. Winning the war or not, that should still have been a war crime.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty shit article that ignores most of the actual facts on-the-ground at the time and the actual evidence we have now of the thoughts of the Japanese government during this period, prior to their surrender. It also buries the fact that not dropping the bomb means an invasion which means MANY more deaths on both the Allied and Japanese side.

Going, "well, the Japanese were going to surrender once the Soviets invaded." Is another way of saying, "yeah, the Japanese were going to surrender after the Soviets killed more Japanese during an invasion and lost a lot of their lives in the process as well." And that's just assuming the U.S. just sat back and allowed the Soviets to invade and didn't even attempt an invasion of the mainland, didn't continue any further bombing efforts such as fire bombings, and also Japanese forces just sat back and did nothing in the interim.

Like the article uses MacArthur's statement against Truman as some proof, you know the guy that wanted to use in nukes in Korea and was trying to run against Truman? That guy? Of course, he'd say the bombings were wrong after the fact.
My grandparents served in WWII, in command positions. What they always conveyed to me (and what I've read for years) was the fear from allied command was the invasion of the Japanese mainland to stop the war would have involved catastrophic amounts of casualties. It was a horrible war of attrition just to get close to Japan. Island hopping and a possible invasion of the Japanese mainland would have been devastating to the US and to Japan in terms of lives lost.

Not to mention what would happen to the people of the islands Japan had invaded. Look up a map of what the occupation in the pacific theater looked like. It's worth studying and reading about what happened to the people on those islands.

While we can debate NOW if the bomb should be dropped, the prevailing thought at the time of the bombings was "This is THE way to stop the war", without having to invade mainland Japan. An invasion of mainland Japan would cost even more lives via attacks, fire bombings, etc.

And, to bossattack's point here, assuming the Japanese would surrender after a Soviet invasion is predicated on the loss of even more lives. There was no easy answer here.

You have to remember that this was after Hitler rolled Europe. This was in a time when the holocaust had happened, people were being drafted and were dying to stop an invasion force that wanted to remake the world. The USA as a whole had assumed a war time posture that was draining to its citizens both in lives and resources. There was a fear that things would never be okay because Nazi Germany was such a monumental threat to the world.

Once Germany was defeated, you can understand the desire to do whatever was necessary to stop the war with the Empire of Japan. Doesn't mean in hindsight it was the right choice to drop the bombs, but context absolutely matters here. It's very easy to monday-morning-quarterback this issue when we weren't there in and we're judging this with 77 years of hindsight.

Dropping the atomic bomb was undoubtedly the most consequential act in human history. Oppenheimer was undoubtably the most important and consequential man that ever lived. What he was involved in creating and what has been wrought with the atomic bomb will shape the course of human history as long as we exist.

The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a horrible and the death and destruction from those bombings will always be part of the fabric of the world. There's a lot of nuisance to the horror of World War II and I think Monday-morning-quarterbacking it 77 years later misses a lot of that nuisance, as well as the context needed to understand why these decisions were made.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever heard of the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right?" I think it especially applies to war crimes. You know, the things you should never do period, even if someone did them to you or your allies first.

Oct 26, 2017

In reference to, "the Japanese were going to surrender after the Soviets killed more Japanese during an invasion" --- the point is that because the Japanese already had Manchuria invaded and lost, they were panicking and likely to surrender prior to any invasion of their islands because they were so afraid of losing any ounce of homeland Japan. There didn't have to be a massive loss of life added on top of what had happened. Japan was done by this point. They were actively seeking peace, then had their largest remaining ground force pulverized by the very people they were using to mediate for peace. With no active outgoing campaigns, and no supply to carry any out even if they wanted, the United States didn't have to throw people into any further invasions to lose lives. And that's part of the issue with a lot of the framing around the necessity also---it's based on a false assumption the United States had to keep throwing soldiers into a meat grinder and they didn't.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
One person who rarely gets brought up as a specific person to blame a lot of this on is Truman's Secretary of State James F. Byrnes. Byrnes' biggest political contribution after leaving the Truman admin was opposing the desegregation of schools in South Carolina while he was governor and criticizing Brown v Board of Education. He also supported Goldwater, Nixon, Harry Byrd, and Strom Thurmond, just to give an idea of how racist he was.

Now this may be a very cold take, but I also think Japan might have saved the world here by experiencing the brunt of these weapons, as if they were not dropped and seen first hand, it is very possible their "first usage" may have been seen during the cold war at a much larger and destructive scale, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Even if this is the case, it paints America in a very bad light since the implication is that we simply can't help ourselves from nuking someone at some point.

I think it's more complicated than this.
True, most of bullshit America pulled to stop communism in Japan was during the "reverse course" of the occupation when they gave war criminals like Shinzo Abe's grandad their jobs back.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Not really. Reducing complex historical situations down to driveby one liners doesn't help clarify the discussion at all. If this were as black and white it wouldn't still be discussed half a century later with all the same sources used/referenced in every previous discussion of it
There were other reasons, pretty much all of them grounded in cold, ruthless realpolitik. I just chose to focus on this one reason, I'm not required to go over all of them.

Jul 7, 2021
The bottom line of this shitstorm is that, as usual, it was the civilians that paid the price. The actual evil, disgusting people responsible for the overzealous and unnecessary bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, AND those responsible for the atrocities committed by the Japanese army mostly went unpunished.

That's the real travesty.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so genuine question, why wouldn't the US just use nukes in the aftermath of WW2 then? I find it extremely unlikely if not impossible the US doesn't drop a nuke at some point, and if it wasn't against Germany or Japan, it would be against the USSR as a show of force or to tell them to get out of the occupied land they grabbed.

Either the bombs get dropped in Japan and history continues as normal, or the US use it against the USSR right after WW2 to force demands.

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
The bottom line of this shitstorm is that, as usual, it was the civilians that paid the price. The actual evil, disgusting people responsible for the overzealous and unnecessary bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, AND those responsible for the atrocities committed by the Japanese army mostly went unpunished.

That's the real travesty.
It's almost always like that.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Not to derail, but something does occur to me from this discussion. Supposing we never used the bombs during WW2, would MAD have been as effective a deterrent if the very first time anyone did use a nuclear weapon in anger was after multiple sides possessed them?

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Have you ever heard of the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right?" I think it especially applies to war crimes. You know, the things you should never do period, even if someone did them to you or your allies first.
It was war. We as the people with the weapon to end the war get to choose the terms of how it should end. This was after one of the most brutal periods in human history. The Japanese don't, and didn't, get the right to a conditional surrender just because they were the last ones standing. A war with America, mind you that they started, because they needed more oil to rape and pillage China.

May 14, 2021
You conveniently left out "and committing genocide to a degree never seen before." How do you make people capable of that surrender? Japan was prepared to sacrifice millions of their own civilians by forcing them to essentially commit suicide in defense of Japan's empire. How do you make leaders willing to do that surrender?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It was war. We as the people with the weapon to end the war get to choose the terms of how it should end. This was after one of the most brutal periods in human history. The Japanese don't, and didn't, get the right to a conditional surrender just because they were the last ones standing. A war with America, mind you that they started, because they needed more oil to rape and pillage China.
Yes, it was war, and there are certain actions that are supposed to be off limits even when you're at war, called "war crimes."

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ok so genuine question, why wouldn't the US just use nukes in the aftermath of WW2 then? I find it extremely unlikely if not impossible the US doesn't drop a nuke at some point, and if it wasn't against Germany or Japan, it would be against the USSR as a show of force or to tell them to get out of the occupied land they grabbed.

Either the bombs get dropped in Japan and history continues as normal, or the US use it against the USSR right after WW2 to force demands.
I'd argue that the US wouldn't drop a bomb in Europe for the same reason they chose to do so in Asia. From the decision makers POV, why would you annihilate good honest western civilization?

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ok so genuine question, why wouldn't the US just use nukes in the aftermath of WW2 then? I find it extremely unlikely if not impossible the US doesn't drop a nuke at some point, and if it wasn't against Japan, it would be against the USSR as a show of force or to tell them to get out of the occupied land they grabbed.

It would have probably been used in the Korean War as a show of force.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I'd argue that the US wouldn't drop a bomb in Europe for the same reason they chose to do so in Asia. From the decision makers POV, why would you annihilate good honest western civilization?

You mean besides the fact that they did? I mean, Allied leader had few qualms about firebombing German cities, it just wasn't as effective.

You know those bombed out pictures and videos of Berlin in 1945? How do you think it became bombed out? Hint: It was already mostly like that when the Soviets got there.

Oct 26, 2017
isnt this common knowledge in the us?
No, it isn't taught. Only that the bombs were dropped to end the war and ultimately less lives were lost than a full on invasion. There are also some racist concepts thrown around about how the Japanese would never surrender. I remember being told when I was younger they would have fought with every last man, woman, or child (doubt that was school though, probably a racist relative). There is also a misconception that the Japanese refused to surrender after the first bomb, necessitating the dropping of a second bomb. The impending Russian invasion was barely touched on, as was the Russians' efforts on the Eastern Front and in liberating the Jews from concentration camps.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who wasnt there, you know, at risk of being sent to die on Japan, I dont think I have the right to give my opinion on this.

War is brutal, the uncertainty of death and the us vs them mentality is intense. These hindsight criticisms are super easy to make in comparison.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Ok so genuine question, why wouldn't the US just use nukes in the aftermath of WW2 then? I find it extremely unlikely if not impossible the US doesn't drop a nuke at some point, and if it wasn't against Japan, it would be against the USSR as a show of force or to tell them to get out of the occupied land they grabbed.
Most likely because the Soviet Union got a bomb on its own before tensions were high enough to "justify" dropping an US made bomb on the Soviet Union or a country allied to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.