Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
\
This is like blaming Iraq for the 2003 invasion. "If Iraq didn't try to assassinate Bush's father, we wouldn't have gone to war." This is ridiculous. Iran is a sovereign nation with its own military intelligence. They don't get to blame "conditions" on their fuck ups. Besides, the "conditions" that you speak of were present well before what happened last week. Why do you think Soleimani was being targeted in the first place?

To suggest that the strike last week was what ignited U.S-Iran tensions is beyond crazy.

Igniting it is an intentional false strawman tho. He the original replier said create the conditions and he's correct

Iran/Iraq have been beefing for DECADES. That said there's a difference between tensions and assassinating the #2 dude of a country's government. LOL.
Me and my neighbor may hate each other, but I ain't gonna go punch his wife in the face, and sit back and act like nothing changed

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Living in Edmonton, 30 were from the community and 2 of them were U of A prof's. People are sad.

How do you warn Iraq but not shut down your own airspace?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Given how quickly the plane went down, it seems very plausible. Maybe the plane taking off and getting to a certain altitude made it suddenly appear on an automated defense system's radar and it shot them down as I imagine such systems don't like getting spooked by suddenly appearing objects.

All planes should have been grounded. Trump now indirectly responsible for the death of 63 Canadians if this is true.
Do people really believe that an "automated defense system" exists? Even if the technology existed, which is unlikely, do you really think a competent military would place it right next to an civilian international airport where flights are landing and taking off from all the time?

If this was a shootdown, a flesh and blood military officer gave the order to fire. Likely as an accident or in a moment of panic.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm not going to trust anything either country claim. Hand it off to another country. The US is just not trustworthy.
Even if the hard intelligence backs up that the plane was shot down by a missile, I'm not even going to jump to the conclusion that it was Iran that did it. Especially if the US was tipped off that Iran's calculated reprisal attack would be happening later that evening.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just shows why you shouldn't escalate things by assassinating foreign officials. I don't say Iran doesn't share massive blame here, but there's one thing you can't blame Iran for, behaving erratically. Their response - the attack on Iraqi bases - was fairly predictable,, whereas the actions of the US administration make clear that the killing of Suleimani wasn't part of a bigger strategy, or anything. It was just a random provocation, that ultimately, doesn't accomplish much of anything, except raise tensions in the region.
Obama was pretty bad in his foreign policy, but by god, he wasn't as self destructively stupid as the Trump admin. If anything can get WW3 started in four years time, it's a second term Trump presidency.
Presumably he had deliberate plans to attack Americans in the middle east which is why he was offed. Its not like they picked the guy for no reason

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Iran shoot down a Ukrainian airliner taking off from an airport in Iran?
Probably just a screw up. Doubt they'd intentionally attack a random Ukrainian flight with a bunch of Canadians on board while avoiding killing U.S. troops.

Either that, or it's a coincidence which some "U.S. Official" is lying about.

Not sure we'll ever know the absolute truth as obviously no one is getting access to investigate in Iran during a military conflict.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Igniting it is an intentional false strawman tho. He the original replier said create the conditions and he's correct

Iran/Iraq have been beefing for DECADES. That said there's a difference between tensions and assassinating the #2 dude of a country's government. LOL.
Me and my neighbor may hate each other, but I ain't gonna go punch his wife in the face, and sit back and act like nothing changed

I'm with you on this one. When you fucking openly assassinate a high ranking official of another government, you are inviting military retaliation. There is no way I wont ascribe a portion of the responsibility of this to Trump.

It may not be his fault entirely but this shit doesn't happen if he is not such a fucking irresponsible idiot. It's not like civillian aircraft is shot out of the sky with any regularity in the region.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Would Iranian investigators be more or less corrupt than U.S. officials? Don't know what to believe between 2 evils

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
YOu mean before or after WMD which they just made up?

That doesn't matter. You're missing my point. In a history of conflict, pointing to one part of the chain of events to assign blame is ridiculous....especially when you can point to something more direct (I.E. Iran's incompetence). We went to war because we wanted to (and made up reasons to do so), not because of anything specific Iraq did.

So in this analogy, the wife (Soleimani) is an innocent, unrelated party?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Presumably he had deliberate plans to attack Americans in the middle east which is why he was offed. Its not like they picked the guy for no reason
That's not really a reason to kill a high ranking official considering the middle east is basically a mexican standoff where everyone has plans to kill each other.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I'm with you on this one. When you fucking openly assassinate a high ranking official of another government, you are inviting military retaliation. There is no way I wont ascribe a portion of the responsibility of this to Trump.

It may not be his fault entirely but this shit doesn't happen if he is not such a fucking irresponsible idiot. It's not like civillian aircraft is shot out of the sky with any regularity in the region.

Iran tried to assassinate a Saudi ambassador on U.S. soil! lol

I'm not advocating the strike last week, but apparently that plot was "inviting military retaliation" according to you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It should require a staggering amount of incompetence to do this. I'm sure Iran will crack down hard on whoever authorized it and paint them as a rogue commander and not indicative of their normal military procedures, though I don't know how much the international community will buy that excuse.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That doesn't matter. You're missing my point. In a history of conflict, pointing to one part of the chain of events to assign blame is ridiculous....especially when you can point to something more direct (I.E. Iran's incompetence). We went to war because we wanted to (and made up reasons to do so), not because of anything specific Iraq did.

Yes. And if this is the case, some dumbass shot a missle at a plane while on high alert without determining who it was....but if iran is on high alert, its because of something trump didnt need to do, on a whim.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Logical thinking here is Lufthansa don't want their planes going to Iran in light of today's development

Or they encountered a technical problem and turned back to the Lufthansa hub rather than continue on to a place with fewer facilities. Just playing it safe. Happens every day.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This goes back much further than what Trump did ... Soleimani has been acting with impunity for years.

We had a peace treaty before Trump ripped it up. To pretend last week's strike didn't directly lead to the escalation to cause this is asinine unless Iran has been regularly shooting down commercial airliners the past decade?

Dec 31, 2017
Ugly side effect of war. If true, Iran fucked up massively, and so did Trump by starting this nonsense. RIP to those poor people

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I had a bad feeling the day Trump decided to scrap the Iranian treaty.

I was 100% sure innocents were going to die the day Americans killed the Iranian officer. It was a stupid move.

Collateral damage always happen in war, or because people are afraid of war, or because they are using things that kill people!

People blaming Iran for the mistake are right, but they must not forget the number of hospitals, marriages, and civil planes the greatest military in the world destroyed.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yes. And if this is the case, some dumbass shot a missle at a plane while on high alert without determining who it was....but if iran is on high alert, its because of something trump didnt need to do, on a whim.

This absolving Iran of its own responsibility is stupid. Full stop. Trump could have threatened to nuke Iran and it wouldn't have mattered. You're a country with military intelligence on high alert, not some child wandering down the street who got spooked by a stranger.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Iran tried to assassinate a Saudi ambassador on U.S. soil! lol

I'm not advocating the strike last week, but apparently that plot was "inviting military retaliation" according to you.

You think I wouldn't acribe any blame to Iran if the roles were reversed?

Is this suppose to be a gotcha? If you provoke a situation you think you don't share any blame for the collateral damage?

Like I said, are commerical flights being shot down in the region regularly for us not to put 2 and 2 together?

And obviously the primary blame goes to Iran. They fucked this up.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This absolving Iran of its own responsibility is stupid. Full stop. Trump could have threatened to nuke Iran and it wouldn't have mattered. You're a country with military intelligence on high alert, not some child wandering down the street who got spooked by a stranger.

I already said that anything that happens as a response for trump's reckless action is on his shoulders. And i still believe that

Of course Iran deserves blame, but if they are retaliating from an attack, rogue elements shooting down planes and such are a big part of that, even if not on actions of official goverment command

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had a peace treaty before Trump ripped it up. To pretend last week's strike didn't directly lead to the escalation to cause this is asinine unless Iran has been regularly shooting down commercial airliners the past decase?

It's not Trump's fault Iran is careless with their rockets.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just a screw up. Doubt they'd intentionally attack a random Ukrainian flight with a bunch of Canadians on board while avoiding killing U.S. troops.

Either that, or it's a coincidence which some "U.S. Official" is lying about.

Not sure we'll ever know the absolute truth as obviously no one is getting access to investigate in Iran during a military conflict.

It's not like jets never get shot down accidentally. Russia has done it a few times I think. There was that plane that accidentally flew over their territory.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
And this is the problem with directing blame and where a person's hatred should be pointed. Soleimani and his reign of terror has been going on for a long time. The shaky relationship between the U.S. and Iran has been going on for a long time. The whole situation is so incredibly complex and goes far deeper than Trump that situations need to be looked at with a logical, rational view. Not one driven by emotions.
Logic, rationality, and the complexity of the situation are the main criticisms against Trump. No one is arguing he was a good guy. It's the reactionary and simple minded manner in which Trump decided to assasinate him and bring our countries to the brink of all our war that's the problem. Assasinating a sovereign nation's general when we're not in a full war isn't the same as killing the leader of some terrorist group. Through in that it's starting to look more like the Trump admin was lying about how imminent the alleged future attack was, so it's even worse. Plus not informing Congress prior, and threatening to deliberately attack non-military targets, just makes Trump's decision wrong in every possible manner.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

You don't understand human nature.
I hope you were as sure of this when americans bombed hospitals by mistake.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
It's not Trump's fault Iran is careless with their rockets.

It is kind of starting to sound like the airline is partially to blame, dude on CNN said warnings about the airspace started last Friday and other airlines were cancelling those flights. Iran still fucked up but. Just a cluster fuck all around. RIP

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
You think I wouldn't acribe any blame to Iran if the roles were reversed?

Is this suppose to be a gotcha? If you provoke a situation you think you don't share any blame for the collateral damage?

Why are you acting like these are two gang members that accidentally shot a pedestrian and not two actual COUNTRIES involved? Jesus.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Trump's fault there was a military conflict in the first place, and that there was retaliation.

It's Trump's fault that people capable of making a decision in Iran retaliated on a civilian plane? Like what kind of radar system does Iran have that they can't identify a slow moving passenger jet at 7000 feet?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Trump shares the blame in that this is the exact sort of thing conflicts creates the conditions for, but the key onus is on Iran for shooting down an unverified or misidentified target. This is an action they carried out.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
We had a peace treaty before Trump ripped it up. To pretend last week's strike didn't directly lead to the escalation to cause this is asinine unless Iran has been regularly shooting down commercial airliners the past decade?
No, we didn't. We had a deal where the US would withdraw some sanctions and in return the Iranians would stop seeking a nuclear weapon. The whole proxy war business with Iran funding and supplying Shia terrorists against American allies was specifically something that was cut out of the nuclear deal because the Obama administration prioritized nuclear nonproliferation over the much harder (and probably impossible) task of solving the Sunni-Shia conflict.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Iran is responsible for this, if confirmed.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you acting like these are two gang members that accidentally shot a pedestrian and not two actual COUNTRIES involved? Jesus.

To be frank I feel it's you who is underselling the severity of this situation and the responsibility of the actors involved. People died senselessly because a conflict was escalated needlessly. You don't want anyone acribing any responsibility to Trump.

I plainly do not understand why. I already said the main responsibility falls on Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.