• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Is it me or does the note itself and the use of the word "Jews" show that the author of it is racist against Jewish people as well?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine Omar as President one day. You thought Fox News was bad during the Obama years? Now imagine CNN, MSNBC, etc. joining in on the attack. It really is frustrating and abhorrent how hard that "both sides" are railing against her when she is 100% correct on her stances, especially as the past few days have proven.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Omar as President one day. You thought Fox News was bad during the Obama years? Now imagine CNN, MSNBC, etc. joining in on the attack. It really is frustrating and abhorrent how hard that "both sides" are railing against her when she is 100% correct on her stances, especially as the past few days have proven.
Unfortunately she can't be president since she wasn't born here.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky

Well, she's not only black, but a woman and a Muslim. So if we apply the transitive property, an Omar presidency would output roughly 1.4 Kilobamas of dipshit outrage.

Unfortunately she can't be president since she wasn't born here.

Always thought that rule was dumb as hell. She's lived here most of her life, she's just as much an American as I am.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Yeah, just wanted to add my confusion about the bans. And 2 weeks for all of these? That's exceedingly harsh with no warning given first.

What's the best way to submit these to the mods for a second look?
No clue but based on how these bans look, a lot more people need to be banned because I see this type of "antagonizing" in a lot of threads.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bans seem overly harsh, honestly cant gauge what is bannable and what isnt, as these dont even seem like clear infractions. If its purely down to provocation of other members, they seem to be doing it due to contradictory attitudes in support of equality, not necessarily blind antagonism.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Most of them are party bootlickers who will completely disregard everything that's happened if someone like Harris or Biden wins the primary and will throw around "let's not cannibalize the left".
Many are also huge fucking hypocrites who love to talk a lot about diversity, but don't hesitate to throw someone like Omar under the bus.
They were also huge Comey, Mueller and Avenatti worshippers. And many still love Pelosi.
did y'all really ban this person for dropping some truth? lmfao

never change, Era 😂😂

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just wanted to add my confusion about the bans. And 2 weeks for all of these? That's exceedingly harsh with no warning given first.

What's the best way to submit these to the mods for a second look?
Maybe report the banned post? I don't know. Mods are becoming more trigger happy every day.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Did they also leave a note on the door of that representative that read from Mein Kampf and used some pretty direct anti-semitism the other day?

I actually understand some of the discomfort people have around Omar's statements. I still agree with Ilhan Omar, but I understand why people who have dealt with that kind of language being meant to disparage them would feel betrayed by some of the words used. That said, it's weird to me that you're not seeing the same outrage over what's been going on for eons with other representatives.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
These bans are super weird. In the interest of transparency, we need a staff post from the mod(s) responsible to explain themselves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always thought that rule was dumb as hell. She's lived here most of her life, she's just as much an American as I am.

Well, to change the Presidency eligibility here in the U.S. would require a constitutional amendment because the basics for Presidency eligibility is in the Constitution. Want to lower the age? Set a age limit? Want foreign-born citizens who have lived most or all of their lives in the U.S. to be President? All of that would require a constitutional amendment.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of people confused by the bans in this topic. If mods want topics around Israel/Palestine and issues of Islamophobia to go down a guided path, then perhaps each one needs red text clearly outlining the Era policy. Because the bans here are inconsistent. For instance, this:

Most of them are party bootlickers who will completely disregard everything that's happened if someone like Harris or Biden wins the primary and will throw around "let's not cannibalize the left".
Many are also huge fucking hypocrites who love to talk a lot about diversity, but don't hesitate to throw someone like Omar under the bus.
They were also huge Comey, Mueller and Avenatti worshippers. And many still love Pelosi.

Isn't antagonizing at all. It's an accurate assessment. A black, Muslim woman isn't a prop for the Democratic Party until she speaks inconvenient truths. The narrative from some PoliEra regulars around Ilhan IS hypocritical.

Mod post - addressing complaints and get back on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's be clear here: This is an important topic and the members banned in the thread were using it to goad and snipe at other members and communities, carrying over petty grudges from other threads. This has been getting worse over time and is becoming more like political console wars than actual discussion.

If you'd like to disagree with people then feel free to do so, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to try to start fights in every thread with members who aren't even in them.

If you'd like to contest any of the bans you feel strongly about you are more than welcome to send me a PM and I will have that conversation with you.

Get back on topic in this thread. Further attempts at metacommentary derails will be actioned.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... now what does that remind me of...

Juives.jpg

It will keep happening if your own bosses throw you under the bus in public by equating you with an actual bigot

Yeah, suggesting only money motivates the US government's knee-bending to Israel is completely wrong.

It's money AND pandering to religious nutcases in their staff/voter base.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
what this entire Ilhan Omar saga illustrates perfectly is that the principle invoked by many liberals against her to accuse her of antisemitism - "only members of Group X can define bigotry against Group X, don't ever question their judgment in those definitions" - is a piss-poor foundation on which to resist bigotry, and not at all the same thing as actual solidarity with marginalized groups. That's because that principle:

• ignores differences of opinion within a group, instead deferring to those who already have the loudest voices and the most political power (with a few welcome exceptions, Jews like me who strongly believe that nothing Omar said was antisemitic have almost completely been excluded from this debate);
  • ignores asymmetries of power between different groups with different histories of marginalization (pro-Israel American Jews have vastly more power to have their voices heard and influence policy than Palestinians or American Muslims more generally)
  • ignores broader political context of any sort (allegations of antisemitism have continually been invoked for many years to suppress criticism of Israel, which ought to warrant a particularly careful approach to evaluating claims of antisemitism in the context of criticism of Israel)
As a result of all of these failings, all of which stem from its complete lack of analysis of power, the sort of liberal anti-bigotry politics employed against Omar is completely and utterly incapable of dealing with the possibility that even (sometimes especially) sincerely felt allegations of bigotry against one group can be weaponized against an entirely different group in a way that reinforces oppression rather than challenges it, which of course is exactly what's happened here.

What makes it even worse is that for many liberals, these failings are features, not bugs, as was made clear when most of the exact same liberals who sanctimoniously invoked "don't ever tell Jews they're wrong about what antisemitism is" against Ilhan Omar, as though it were some sacrosanct and inviolable principle, proved themselves to be perfectly fine with telling Muslims that they were wrong to think Chelsea Clinton's attack on Omar was Islamophobic.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Chuck Schumer is Jewish. That fact shouldn't be overlooked when evaluating his false equivalence of the antisemitism on display in Charlottesville and the comments made by Ilhan Omar. His viewpoint when it comes to AIPAC and the state of Israel is likely biased. It was an absurd comparison to make, but given his identity it's more understandable than it otherwise would be.

That said it is completely wrong to assume that just because the viewpoints of some Jewish people like Schumer are clouded that all Jewish people are okay with the actions of Israel. They clearly aren't and it would benefit us all to approach a sensitive topic such as this with open ears AND sceptical minds. That's difficult to do, but certain topics such as this demand it.

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Please, the only thing that's changed is that they have a famous name to attach to their false flag bullshit now.

Oh of course, not denying that. It's still a net negative that they have a famous name at all to "legitimize" their bullshit though.

(I know it doesn't actually legitimize it but tell that to the "moderate" idiots that are no doubt swayed by such.)

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Not surprised with Chuck. He's such an oblivious asshole of a leader and I would actually place him above many Republicans in who needs to get the fuck out of office quickest.

Never forget when he both sided a murder attack on a jewish person to McCarthy's vandalism. He should be persona non grata on this website, especially given how we treat fucks like b00gie, but alas...

Screen-Shot-2018-10-23-at-1-51-11-PM.png

Chuck Schumer is Jewish. That fact shouldn't be overlooked when evaluating his false equivalence of the antisemitism on display in Charlottesville and the comments made by Ilhan Omar. His viewpoint when it comes to AIPAC and the state of Israel is likely biased. It was an absurd comparison to make, but given his identity it's more understandable than it otherwise would be.

That said it is completely wrong to assume that just because the viewpoints of some Jewish people like Schumer are clouded that all Jewish people are okay with the actions of Israel. They clearly aren't and it would benefit us all to approach a sensitive topic such as this with open ears AND sceptical minds. That's difficult to do, but certain topics such as this demand it.

From what I've seen, most people conflating "Jews" with "israel" are usually the same ones decrying Omar for anti-semitism. She's been pretty clear who she's talking about but that apparently isn't enough nor will it ever be, looking at the literally hundreds of people like Omar who were also trampled for "anti-semitic" beliefs whenever they're calling out Israel's actions or the actions of AIPAC and their outright influence and control on politicians and corporations.

Or basically, this entire series on how antisemitism has been weaponized by AIPAC and the Israeli lobby:

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Oh of course, not denying that. It's still a net negative that they have a famous name at all to "legitimize" their bullshit though.

(I know it doesn't actually legitimize it but tell that to the "moderate" idiots that are no doubt swayed by such.)
The moderate idiots were also swayed by the extended version of the MAGA Kid video. I'm really not concerned with the feelings of folks who are pretending to be allies anymore. Smollett sucks but in the grand scheme of things his crime is ironic because the only reason that he thought he could get away with it is that the very people who are now up in arms about him are so hateful in the first place.

But this is pretty OT for this thread so let's just agree that the folks trying to use Smollett to discredit Tlaib have always been full of shit and have no leg to stand on, even with a legitimate false flagger to point to.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yikes.

The lack of response from the left is pretty telling, but not quite as embarrassing as their reactions when people call them out on it.

I hope people continue to do so, regardless of the repercussions. Allowing this to continue is bullshit and hypocritical.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes.

The lack of response from the left is pretty telling, but not quite as embarrassing as their reactions when people call them out on it.

I hope people continue to do so, regardless of the repercussions. Allowing this to continue is bullshit and hypocritical.

Right. Calling out islamophobia should never be wrong, especially when it comes from centrist democrats. Nancy, Chuck, Chelsea, Hoyer, all of them are complicit in spreading islamophobia by lying about Omar being anti-semitic.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Don't they have CCTV? if so they should be checking it for the person who posted the note.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
These bans are wierd.

This is the ban that puzzles me the most.

If this type of ironic posts is bannable, half of Era would be banned (This is excluding the Avengers thread shenanigans)
If this ban is related to alleged antisemitism, then holy shit mods,I have no words for you.

Wait, was I banned? Was I banned and then unbanned?

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
It wasn't threatening so why bother? It was just whiny, pushy and incorrect.
Its still harassment, for a woman who just spent the past month experiencing harrassment from the entire US political system.

The sad part is that I expect that no one in Congress will help her, not even the CCTV guy.