• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
No more peacocks. :/

CBS said:
Travelers who want to be comforted by a pet peacock or hamster while in the air will have to leave their emotional support animals at home or check them into the cargo hold. The government has decided that when it comes to air travel, only dogs can be service animals, and companions used for emotional support don't count.

The Transportation Department issued a final rule Wednesday that aims to settle years of tension between airlines and passengers who bring their pets on board for free by saying they need them for emotional support. Under the final rule, which takes effect in 30 days, a service animal is a dog trained to help a person with a disability.

For years, the department required airlines to allow animals with passengers who had a doctor's note saying they needed the animal for emotional support. Airlines believed passengers abused the rule to bring a menagerie of animals on board including cats, turtles, pigs and in one case, a peacock.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Capture_3547810b.jpg

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Hmm going by this, not even dogs are being allowed to be classified as emotional support animals. Only as service animals.

Wonder if they know of service miniature ponies?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So you're telling me that I CAN'T bring my emotional support komodo dragon on a flight? Awwwww

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Guess the government doesn't give a damn about us who are allergic to furry animals like dogs and cats.

My emotional support tegu is way more chill than most people's pets they take on planes. Guess I need to get a cosplay creator to make her a fur suit in case we have to travel. :P

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Emotional support animals aren't allowed anymore at all, only service dogs.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Guess the government doesn't give a damn about us who are allergic to furry animals like dogs and cats.

It at least puts an end to the loophole of poultry birds etc., but I wonder how things will be for allergies? Small dogs/service dogs have been allowed on planes for a long time now. Is it one of those things where the onus is on those with the allergies to let flights know not to have any dogs on deck?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Actually seems to say that emotional support animals aren't a thing, and only a trained service dog is allowed. Which is how it should be.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Is this because of the lady with the emotional support Peacock?

Not gonna lie, this seems very silly to me to ban anything but dogs...what about emotional support rats, emotional support miniature ponies, etc.

There's a lot of animals that can provide emotional support.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My emotional support tegu is way more chill than most people's pets they take on planes. Guess I need to get a cosplay creator to make her a fur suit in case we have to travel. :P
Nothing I say is legal advice yadda yadda.

The problem you're describing is because Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act specifically enshrines service animals (dogs and miniature horses, specifically) in the plainest, strongest language possible in a federal statute.

In essence, the need for a service animal (dog, miniature horse) is so strongly protected in federal law that it can wind up taking precedence over other persons with disabilities that conflict directly with the disabled person who needs the service animal.

I've seen the exact scenario you're describing about yourself in my work. It's... a really fucking tough nut to crack.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It at least puts an end to the loophole of poultry birds etc., but I wonder how things will be for allergies? Small dogs/service dogs have been allowed on planes for a long time now. Is it one of those things where the onus is on those with the allergies to let flights know not to have any dogs on deck?

There are kinds of dogs and cats that don't have the kind of dander that people are allergic to.

Nov 9, 2017
I know a person who made multiple claims like that just so they could take their dog places. Ruined it for those who really need it I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Emotional support animals aren't allowed anymore at all, only service dogs.
Frankly I agree with this. If I'm going to be sitting in an aluminum tube suspended tens of thousands of feet in the air, the only animal I want out and about is something remarkably well trained and tempered. Like a service dog.

Hell it'll probably be a better passenger than a fair chunk of humans.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I sympathise with those that legitimately benefit from this it is all so abused that there's no way it could continue unchecked. People abusing it have ruined it for everyone else.

Now ban em from Disney World. I'm so tired of assholes taking their aggressive ass dog for a walk to snap at everyone at Magic Kingdom. Would love for them to clamp down so the BS stops by the time the pandemic subsides.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

lol I laughed

Yeah, kinda sucks, but disabilities trump allergies, even if you have bad allergies from dogs. I think most airlines will make a reasonable accommodation (for instance, maybe putting you in the back of the plane or some place where the disabled person's dog won't likely bother you), but that planes are naturally an environment where you're going to be exposed to some shit ... being stuffed into a metal tube for 4 hours. Also people have allergies to all sorts of things, like dust, skin flakes, minute insect skin, and weird things, but attribute it to the giant dog they walked past or saw once.

But like usual people will get an inch and try to extend it into a mile... Just like emotional support peacocks, some people go out of their way to be inconvenienced by something that they should just learn to accept as part of a just society.

Last edited:

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I know a person who made multiple claims like that just so they could take their dog places. Ruined it for those who really need it I guess.
As someone who managed safety programs for grocery stores, they really do ruin it for people who need it. It creates a situation where every service animal is questioned and it becomes confrontational.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who managed safety programs for grocery stores, they really do ruin it for people who need it. It creates a situation where every service animal is questioned and it becomes confrontational.

I remember when working retail, people would be scared to ask because something like "you aren't supposed to ask them for papers" and just assume and accept they are fine... even if they start growling and barking at others (or piss on the floor...)

I remember seeing something with those awful fake "service animal" jackets in an airport terminal once. Can't remember the breed, but a large-sized dog. It was barking at people and then pissed on a sign, while the owner just let it happen cause they are awful. Stuff like this is why we can't have nice things, and why things get banned and actually require papers to be shown (although those can be faked too).

Just makes me mad with how this must be for people that legitly NEED a trained service dog for their disabilities...

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how people have abused people's confusion between service animals and emotional support animals (they are not the same) to just bring their pet everywhere. It sucks to those who really benefit from emotional support animals because it's gotten to the point that I get pretty skeptical when someone claims their animal to be. Awful.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Had a flight with a 150 lb "emotional support dog" sitting on my feet. This change is overdue.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing I say is legal advice yadda yadda.

The problem you're describing is because Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act specifically enshrines service animals (dogs and miniature horses, specifically) in the plainest, strongest language possible in a federal statute.

In essence, the need for a service animal (dog, miniature horse) is so strongly protected in federal law that it can wind up taking precedence over other persons with disabilities that conflict directly with the disabled person who needs the service animal.

I've seen the exact scenario you're describing about yourself in my work. It's... a really fucking tough nut to crack.

Heh I actually meant this the opposite way - people with disabilities who need non-dander allergy animals are kinda out of luck if only dogs can be classified as legal service animals. I know mini-horses are also trained as service animals, so it's odd that they are left out of this ruling. Maybe one day robotics or genetic engineering will make things easier for people who need help.

I missed the part where this basically takes all emotional support animals out of the equation, my bad. Guess that means more people having to get anxiety meds with possible side effects when they have to fly somewhere.

I personally am not that allergic to dogs and cats, and actually love seeing people's cats when I fly. I wish airlines could have a better area for animals to fly that's safer than the cargo hold, but it's not cost effective when they want to squeeze us all in like human cattle. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Tri-State
I hate how people have abused people's confusion between service animals and emotional support animals (they are not the same) to just bring their pet everywhere. It sucks to those who really benefit from emotional support animals because it's gotten to the point that I get pretty skeptical when someone claims their animal to be. Awful.
Yep its bad, fully ablebody take advantage of systems that are for the disability to raise up to near the level of an ablebody. Only to have the ablebody persons to cause the system to help the disable be removed.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Is this because of the lady with the emotional support Peacock?

Not gonna lie, this seems very silly to me to ban anything but dogs...what about emotional support rats, emotional support miniature ponies, etc.

There's a lot of animals that can provide emotional support.
I think the ruling is against any 'emotional support' animals including dogs. A trained dog that is used for emotional support for someone with a medical diagnosis of a mental disability (PTSD, severe depression etc) would be allowed I think. The miniature horse thing might be an issue, I really have never seen one so don't know what they do. Dogs have multiple uses due to their sense of smell.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

If there was a way to provide proof that the emotional animal was trained, I can see then having exceptions for those. It can get dangerous for other people flying, if you have to sit with some untrained dog that the owner requires, but if it bites another person, then that's sort of a problem. There was that news story where that happened too from an army vet.

www.military.com

Military Daily News

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.

I would like to support people with anxiety issues to be able to have an animal with them to calm them, but when stuff like this happens with untrained dogs, it's a different story...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Work in a doctors office where I handle requests for shit like this. It's 100% abused by like, honestly imho, every single fucking person that asks for it. Yeah, I too enjoy the company of my pet, but that's not the same as being a necessity for travel.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
We joke about snakes, but I did actually take a couple of brown anoles back with me from visiting my grandparents in Florida many many years ago.

Thankfully, the tiny lizards stayed safe and sound in my backpack, and no one cared one bit since it was pre 9/11.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good. Although, miniature ponies should be clarified since they can be actual service animals too. But otherwise, great move.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Part of the problem is that the standard for an emotional support animal is hilariously low. There were a few investigative reports done a few years back, the craziest was from the New Yorker, where journalists found they were able to easily go online and pay for a doctor's note giving them one. The notes are relatively cheap, beyond easy to get (they require a 2 minute conversation with a "doctor" you've never met), and the system is easily abused. And keep in mind, this is just for legal ESAs. You could buy fake licenses and tags if you'd like and most places wouldn't look at you sideways due to fear of being sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act. People were using fake ESA letters to get their pets in no pet housing, into restaurants, and onto planes.

Unfortunately a lot of selfish assholes ruined this for a lot of people who did legitimately need Emotional Support Animals.

Nov 18, 2020
People got to bring their pet on their flight for free, instead of getting charged a $125 - $200 pet fee, so of course people would abuse the emotional support animals provision as much as humanly possible. They had a financial incentive to do so, and people will choose that over ethics all the time.

It needed to go. Maybe they can rewrite the regulations in a way that doesn't encourage people to lie to save a quick buck.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh I actually meant this the opposite way - people with disabilities who need non-dander allergy animals are kinda out of luck if only dogs can be classified as legal service animals. I know mini-horses are also trained as service animals, so it's odd that they are left out of this ruling. Maybe one day robotics or genetic engineering will make things easier for people who need help.

I missed the part where this basically takes all emotional support animals out of the equation, my bad. Guess that means more people having to get anxiety meds with possible side effects when they have to fly somewhere.

I personally am not that allergic to dogs and cats, and actually love seeing people's cats when I fly. I wish airlines could have a better area for animals to fly that's safer than the cargo hold, but it's not cost effective when they want to squeeze us all in like human cattle. :P
Oh, yes I misunderstood. That's an interesting problem. Issue is the definition of service animal is defined as you know to just two animals. Though I'm not aware of, for example, whether a cat or a mini horse can be trained to detect dropping glucose levels for a diabetic (as one example of a service animal; there's certainly more). I'll have to dive more into that out of curiosity.

The law itself is probably a little narrower than it ought to be.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of dumb takes and ignorant dunks in this thread. But truly the worst people are the ones who abused this system and now will make it harder for people with needs to travel comfortably.

I'm surprised cats didn't make the list. But it sounds like people can still bring their pets on if they are willing to pay. If I'm relocating coasts again, you can believe that I am paying for first class and paying for my pets to join me and my partner.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Part of the problem is that the standard for an emotional support animal is hilariously low. There were a few investigative reports done a few years back, the craziest was from the New Yorker, where journalists found they were able to easily go online and pay for a doctor's note giving them one. The notes are relatively cheap, beyond easy to get (they require a 2 minute conversation with a "doctor" you've never met), and the system is easily abused. And keep in mind, this is just for legal ESAs. You could buy fake licenses and tags if you'd like and most places wouldn't look at you sideways due to fear of being sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act. People were using fake ESA letters to get their pets in no pet housing, into restaurants, and onto planes.

Unfortunately a lot of selfish assholes ruined this for a lot of people who did legitimately need Emotional Support Animals.

Agreed, we need way better laws around support for mental health and proper classification of such things. I know people abused that system out here just because they didn't want to pay the $50 extra to fly with their pet. Which is stupid as hell.

Though the airlines' refusal to allow for safe transport of pets that aren't dogs or cats has meant that I have now driven across the entire US by car twice, because I refuse to put my beloved pets in a fedex box and hope they don't end up dead on the other side.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
People got to bring their pet on their flight for free, instead of getting charged a $125 - $200 pet fee, so of course people would abuse the emotional support animals provision as much as humanly possible. They had a financial incentive to do so, and people will choose that over ethics all the time.

It needed to go. Maybe they can rewrite the regulations in a way that doesn't encourage people to lie to save a quick buck.

People take their dogs with them everywhere. Nothing is going to stop them from doin it on a plane as well. They will simply find another loophole.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. People have really gone overboard abusing this system just to take their pets with them. Ruined it for the small number of people who legitimately needed their emotional support animal.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
We joke about snakes, but I did actually take a couple of brown anoles back with me from visiting my grandparents in Florida many many years ago.

Thankfully, the tiny lizards stayed safe and sound in my backpack, and no one cared one bit since it was pre 9/11.

I'm not even sure if reptiles are even allowed to board anymore? I feel like it's a banned thing. I know lots of people smuggle them from other countries, and that might be a part of it.

A lot of dumb takes and ignorant dunks in this thread.

I'm surprised cats didn't make the list.

Such as? Some have used examples from work experience/news clippings.

As for cats, a good number of them don't exactly fly well. Most can't do car rides either, so it's not exactly fair on the animals, either to drag them along if unnecessary/something they aren't good with.