• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
https://kotaku.com/u-s-senator-introduces-bill-to-ban-loot-boxes-and-pay-1834612226

Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) today announced a bill that would ban loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions in "games played by minors," a broad label that the senator will include both games designed for kids under 18 and games "whose developers knowingly allow minor players to engage in microtransactions."

Hawley will introduce the bill, "The Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act," to the U.S. Senate soon. In press materials announcing the bill, Hawley's team brought up the Activision game Candy Crush as an egregious example of pay-to-win microtransactions thanks to its $150 "Luscious Bundle" that comes with a whole bunch of goodies. This bill will also likely apply to Fortnite, the biggest game in the world, along with a host of other online games that feature loot boxes and other ways in which players can spend money for real benefits.

"When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn't be allowed to monetize addiction," Hawley said in a press release. "And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences."

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
You have my sword.

Pretty pessimistic about this resulting in any significant changes though.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it passes I'll set myself on fire and jump out of a window into a pit of glass shards, I'm that convinced it won't.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't expect a Republican senator to introduce a bill like this, but hey, whatever works.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
w3hUyFC.gif

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
All this will do is get us a new, stronger video game lobby that pays lawmakers to vote pro-MTX. Everyone has a price and bribery is basically legal.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is going to be a fascinating thing to see play out, especially since it seems to have some form of bipartisan support here.

My concern is that the 'addiction' card may get played a bit too hard here, and this bill ends up legitimizing the concept that games are inherently addictive products (and thus at potentially risk of losing first amendment protections).

But I think if they can just draw the line at stopping minors from purchasing randomized digital content, it's a positive thing.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If this passes, it's going to be interesting to see how effects play out in the immediate term. Especially for games like FIFA and Madden that thrive on lootboxes.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
So is this just to straight up ban loot boxes or is it to just ban children from accessing them?

Edit: reading the article it seems this only applies to minors. Name of this post is slightly misleading. Dont know how they will tell which games are "designed for children" candy crush is played by a large number of adults.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
If this is actually bipartisan and comes to a vote I will be so overjoyed. Fuck lootboxes!

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want the current administration getting their hands on the industry.
Don't think it'll just be banning loot boxes like some people hope.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Can you imagine the job cuts and grotesquely bloated bonus packages some of the executives at the big publishers are going to see if this passes under the guise of "keeping the company profitable amidst changing legislative landscape that hurts the AAA development" restructuring?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
From the article in the OP:

"When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn't be allowed to monetize addiction," Hawley said in a press release. "And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences."

So they're going to age gate games, kids will just say they're 18.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Don't support this bill in the slightest, especially not from the GOP and a Senator like Hawley.

Bill seems far too widely defined and could amount to censorship on games. I understand lootboxes and the like are not good, but this is in no way the answer.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Nice start. Now how about that legislation that protects children from being gunned down in their schools?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Republicans just giving a heads up that they would like some sweet lobbying money.

"Get to work, Publishers. This is your pay to win. Daddy needs a third vacation mansion."