• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 10, 2019
EOca_lkW4AM29WC

EOcc0P5W4AA0A_q

EOcebFOXUAEww4D

EOcffsWW4AAl4Vb

EOcgoxbWAAIl-Wd

Last edited:

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Pokemon is not in 2019, does that mean the game undersold that much?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is not in 2019, does that mean the game undersold that much?
pokemon sword is there (#16), and it's low because it's not combined with shield. if it was it'd be a few places higher.

Star Fox 64 and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire outselling Final Fantasy VII surprised me. I had no idea.
N64 was huge in the US. it's the rest of the world where it failed to compete against PS1.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So crazy to think about Grand Theft Auto IV, which seemed to be such a huge game at the time, only getting to #6 in 2008 and not being on any other year (thanks to plastic instruments and the rise of the Wii) compared to Grand Theft Auto V, which was #1 in 2013 and has stayed in the top 15 ever since, only dropping out of top 10 two years ago. What a beast.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Every mainline Final Fantasy bar IX made it since VII into the top 20. XV is only outranked by VII in terms of ranking in its respective year...that is very impressive for XV

KH has been consistently 8th lol

Really interesting

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that N64 had best selling games over playstation every year but was getting outsold in console units

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
GTA V is out of this world...
7 years on top20
5 years on top10
last 2 years 11th

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It's crazy seeing Grand Theft Auto V arrive on the charts and just not go away.

And the Toy Story game looks like it was pretty successful. I know I loved it as a kid.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
pokemon sword is there (#16), and it's low because it's not combined with shield. if it was it'd be a few places higher.
3 versions now technically (Sword, Shield, S&S Double Pack).And no it doesn't make sense when you have Mario Kart 8 and Deluxe being combined.

Speaking of which why is MK8 combined but NSMBU isn't?

Weird that N64 had best selling games over playstation every year but was getting outsold in console units
N64 was matching or beating PSX in US hardware too 96-99 iirc. PlayStation sold more overall because it lasted longer and ended stronger.

It's really sort of amazing how well N64 did in America despite the odds, it basically matched SNES. And how hard things crashed with GC.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
N64 was matching or beating PSX in US hardware too 96-99 iirc. PlayStation sold more overall because it lasted longer and ended stronger.

It's really sort of amazing how well N64 did in America despite the odds, it basically matched SNES. And how hard things crashed with GC.
Guess I always assumed it wasn't doing as well in the USA since it wasn't worldwide. Now that I think about it, I did have a lot of friends that had one

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
wow, I didn't realize the 64 was that popular in the US. Like it obviously was to a point, I know so many people that had one, but I'm surprised to see so much N64 software at the top and for so long.

lol at COD just always being up there for like 10 years straight

and it's cool to see that Dragon Ball games still chart even now. Guess DBZ (and Super to a lesser extent) is eternal here in America.

sad to see not a single Dreamcast exclusive chart at all.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Pretty crazy in retrospect how Nintendo (+ wrestling :p) dominated the late 90s charts still were, would've expeected Playstation software to dominate more like in the rest of the world

EDIT: Ohhhh god Batman Forever being on the '95 top 20 ahah, I'd be willing to bet that's by far the worst game across these

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
people weren't really buying Sony games like that for a while.
i think it exploded after Last of Us.

I know but it's surprising that Uncharted sold like a lot, I believe 3 was the one that sold the most (after 4 I think). I guess it's a franchise that had great legs due to what you said, people weren't buying games on PS3.

(God of War 3 is ranked tho but that one was always popular in US)

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But I thought KH3 wouldn't sell very well because the story is dumb and it expects you to have played all the games!

I am shocked!

/s

Well done KH3, now let's go for Re:Union X

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought KH3 wouldn't sell very well because the story is dumb and it expects you to have played all the games!

I am shocked!

/s

Well done KH3, now let's go for Re:Union X

Anthem charted over most, if not all, of the games that won GOTY awards for 2019.

Whole lotta Halo.

Shocked ODST did that well.

Unless something has changed this gen, Halo Wars is the best selling RTS game on consoles. That is all that needs to be said about Halo's popularity.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For perspective for the past 10 years CoD has been in the top spot all but once.

Only one exclusive series managed to crack the 2 spot.

Halo. Truely the GOAT that once was.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Between 1995 and 2019, 65 games have charted in the top 20 (well top 18 for years going from 2005 to 2009 since the chart is incomplete) during 2 years or more.
That includes 10 Call of Duty games, 4 GTA games, 4 NBA games, 4 "Wii ***" games, 3 Guitar Hero games, 3 Mario Kart games, 3 Zelda games, 3 Tony Hawk games, 2 Battlefield games, 2 Donkey Kong games, 2 Need For Speed games, 2 Rock Band games and 2 3D Mario games.

5 games have charted for 3 years: Super Mario 64, The Sims, Wii Play W/ Remote, Mario Kart Wii and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
It's likely that Red Dead Redemption II and Smash Ultimate will join that list next year.
The 3 games with the longest legs are:

#3 - Mario Kart 8, charting in the top 20 four times in 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019
#2 - Minecraft, charting in the top 20 five times in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2019
#1 - Grand Theft Auto V, charting in the top 20 seven times in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It helps in a chart like this that the games cost more.
Keep in mind that many N64 games sold at a higher price, instead of the standard $50.
This is true (and actually many 1st party Sony games were $39.99 US too) but N64 games still topped the charts by units. I don't we've ever seen a 1st party dominate the US market in quite the same way except probably earlier with NES and maybe 2600 years before that.

I know but it's surprising that Uncharted sold like a lot, I believe 3 was the one that sold the most (after 4 I think). I guess it's a franchise that had great legs due to what you said, people weren't buying games on PS3.

(God of War 3 is ranked tho but that one was always popular in US)
Uncharted (like Tomb Raider) was always much bigger in Europe. In the US way back with UC1 there was a Sales-Age joke about it doing badly in the NPDs initially (literally "Uncharted") and SCEA was heavily bundling the game with PS3 hardware also making it miss the charts.

sonic 3D blast, 96, #20
Oop, yes! Good catch!