• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
U.S. Troops Among Dead in Islamic State Bombing in Syria
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/world/middleeast/isis-attack-syria-troops.html
American troops were among 15 people killed on Wednesday in a suicide bombing in northern Syria that was claimed by the Islamic State, just weeks after President Trump ordered the withdrawal of United States forces with what he declared the extremist group's defeat.
"U.S. service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria today," said the statement, which was posted on Twitter. "We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time."

Meanwhile in the white house -
xoO6tvV.gif
xoO6tvV.gif

xoO6tvV.gif
xoO6tvV.gif

We're surely gonna have our war on now!

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Yet Trump somehow declared they were defeated

"We have won against ISIS," Mr. Trump declared"

As fucked as Bolton is you shouldn't have a laughing gif in a thread about 15 deaths.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt anything will amount from this. They'll probably heighten the proxy war that is already being fought and drop some bigger bombs.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yet Trump somehow declared they were defeated

"We have won against ISIS," Mr. Trump declared"

As fucked as Bolton is you shouldn't have a laughing gif in a thread about 15 deaths.
They're pretty much done as a military/paramilitary fighting force in Syria. These soldiers were not actively "fighting ISIS", they're not even there for ISIS anymore (it's mostly about Turkey), they just happen give ISIS easy targets, because hey, it's not like Bolton himself gonna get hurt, so who care?
And that soldier is dead because of Bolton, you bet your ass I'm gonna drag his war criminal ass in this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Bububut we defeated ISIS! Mission accomplished?!

Shit like this should be treated like Trump' Bengazi and never let go.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bububut we defeated ISIS! Mission accomplished?!

Shit like this should be treated like Trump' Bengazi and never let go.
What was the soldier that died was trying to prevent ISIS from doing?
They have no real mission there, definitely not against ISIS, there just there in the hope that once they'll die, the public will change its mind and want war.

Oct 25, 2017
Syria is going to suffer terrorist attacks for the next 20 years if not more

And yes, US soldiers have to very publicly patrol Kurdish border towns to be visible to Turkey and discourage them from attacking but it's that same visibility that makes them easy targets

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And here Bolton has his excuus to stay in Syria.
Mission Accomplished!
I think it might not actually work this time because this is an extra stupid mission that has practically no support in the public and Trump is a stubborn asshole (who randomly ended up being sort of on the right here).
But no harm and letting some people die to see if it maybe does work, right?

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile not hours later, Mission Accomplished.

Seems Linsdey Graham stopped mid confirmation of the new AG to issues some words as well.

Not saying he's on the right of things, but stopping something as important as an AG confirmation to basically rebuke the president is something else.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
U.S. Troops Among Dead in Islamic State Bombing in Syria
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/world/middleeast/isis-attack-syria-troops.html

Meanwhile in the white house -
xoO6tvV.gif
xoO6tvV.gif

xoO6tvV.gif
xoO6tvV.gif

We're surely gonna have our war on now!

Beating the war drum, in Syria and elsewhere, sadly isn't limited to necons like Bolton. Plenty of Democrats, and liberal posters here, support these wasteful, immoral wars.

My condolences to the families of the dead but, if it were up to me, the US would leave Syria immediately.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beating the war drum, in Syria and elsewhere, sadly isn't limited to necons like Bolton. Plenty of Democrats, and liberal posters here, support these wasteful, immoral wars.

My condolences to the families of the dead but, if it were up to me, the US would leave Syria immediately.
No doubt, and the soldiers are originally deployed there under Obama (though honestly, it was in big part because the GOP and right wing media was giving him shit about ISIS), but the reason why they are staying there is Bolton, he's the one who tried to illegally change their mission and he's still trying to make that deployment open-ended.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They're pretty much done as a military/paramilitary fighting force in Syria. These soldiers were not actively "fighting ISIS", they're not even there for ISIS anymore (it's mostly about Turkey), they just happen give ISIS easy targets, because hey, it's not like Bolton himself gonna get hurt, so who care?
And that soldier is dead because of Bolton, you bet your ass I'm gonna drag his war criminal ass in this thread.

US was there long before Bolton and the administration is withdrawing so I don't know how you blame him for the presence?

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
US was there long before Bolton and the administration is withdrawing so I don't know how you blame him for the presence?
The US was there to fight ISIS, there are not really fighting ISIS anymore because ISIS is no longer an active military force in Rojava. Bolton illegally changed their mission to "resist Iran", thought they really there to be a trip wire forces against Trukey, again, totally illegally and I'm pretty sure the public would wholeheartedly reject such mission.
If Bolton wasn't a war criminal asshole, they would have been out of there already.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Gifs don't send soldiers to die in pointless illegal incursions in an attempt to gin up support for another mid-east war.
But yeah, let's worry about being mean to war criminals.

It's not about being mean to war criminals. I just think posting a gif of some dipshit laughing in a thread about a suicide bombing is in poor taste.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not about being mean to war criminals. I just think posting a gif of some dipshit laughing in a thread about a suicide bombing is in poor taste.
This is the equivalent of "don't talk about the NRA after school shootings".
This is the only time anyone even pay attention to what going on there, and I think it's very important to point out that people are dying because Bolton is trying to get the US into yet another shitty war in the middle east.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Open up the thread, read the big bolded headline, first thing I see is a laughing gif in response.

Like, I think I know what sentiment you were really going for, but seriously dude?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
This is the only time anyone even pay attention to what going on there, and I think it's very important to point out that people are dying because Bolton is trying to get the US into yet another shitty war in the middle east.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, but you're welcome to attack me since Bolton is not available.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What the actual fuck is this thread?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it isn't. It's just about not meme-ifying the discussion with a laughing dude gif.

A picture of some dude isn't a 'discussion' or 'important point' the point is made by other posters in the thread WITHOUT resorting to it.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I'm being unreasonable, but you're welcome to attack me since Bolton is not available.
I'm not trying to attack you, I actually think your reaction is understandable. I also think it's counter-productive and I tried to explain why.
No, it isn't. It's just about not meme-ifying the discussion with a laughing dude gif.

A picture of some dude isn't a 'discussion' or 'important point' the point is made by other posters in the thread WITHOUT resorting to it.
You think people would've have been talking about Bolton if I hadn't put it in the OP?
I'm pretty sure this thread would all be all "but that idiot Trump said we beat ISIS" posts, which you know, is exactly the reaction Bolton is hoping for.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know what you mean but the gif amplifies the horror and seriousness for me and is directly related.

Otherwise we're pretending things are normal business as usual till we move onto another outrage this afternoon. Not being hyperbolic either. If I want the dilute normal story I can click the link or go to CNN. I personally don't want to forget how wrong everything is.

I'll allow it.

Not that it's up to me.

OP
OP
Chikor

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Open up the thread, read the big bolded headline, first thing I see is a laughing gif in response.

Like, I think I know what sentiment you were really going for, but seriously dude?
Yes, seriously.
I don't think pulling punches on someone like Bolton helps anyone but people like Bolton.
And I wholeheartedly reject the idea that we should refrain from criticizing people who sent soldiers to die after said soldiers died out of "respect for the fallen".
This is manufactured bullshit that failed politicians came up with to shield themselves from criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Those gifs are an attempt at overcompensating for the news yesterday that Russia would increase its presence in Syria once we're gone. Damage control. You already see certain people trying to blame Democrats and downplay incredibly complicated situations. The usual suspects. This is a game of "Look at me, I'm the one who's right!" with a little smear campaign on the side.

I will say though, being in the military with Trump as your commander in chief certainly feels suicidal.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe we're selling out the YPG and the Kurdish people.... AGAIN. Like for fucks sake. This war has been an absolute clusterfuck.