• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
hero_1.jpg

Cargo, a startup that wants to let every rideshare driver open their own convenience store in their car, has just raised $5.5 million in a round it's calling seed preferred financing.

Over the summer we covered the company's $1.75 million seed round, at which point they were just getting started. Now they have 2,500 cars on the road in NYC, Chicago, Boston and Minneapolis, with 20,000 driver signups from all 50 states.

Drivers get a 25 percent commission on each paid order plus a $1 base commission for each order (including free products), with the average driver earning around $100-$115 per month. However the top 10 percent of drivers are converting somewhere between 30-60 percent of riders into customers and making up to $275 per month.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/22/c...rivers-sell-snacks-and-essentials-nationwide/

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had drivers try to sell me all kinds of things. Sometimes candy like that, sometimes books or mixtapes. You name it

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Drivers get a 25 percent commission on each paidorder plus a $1 base commission for each order (including free products), with the average driver earning around $100-$115 per month. However the top 10 percent of drivers are converting somewhere between 30-60 percent of riders into customers and making up to $275 per month.

So maybe just enough to pay for gas

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So basically a hotel minibar?

I guess I don't mind as long as it's just there and they're not trying to actively sell you while they drive.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've had drivers try to sell me all kinds of things. Sometimes candy like that, sometimes books or mixtapes. You name it

Wow lol, the ones I've been in mostly give stuff away. They have those party bags of mixed chips or mini water bottles/soda or candy but they haven't tried to sell anything to me so far.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So is this another way to screw the drivers? Do they have to front the money for all the merchandise? Why wouldn't a driver just buy the stuff themselves and sell it to keep all the money?

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I rode in an Uber with this like a month ago, but the driver said it was free. Was definitely weird, but they had an interesting set of things in it. Stuff like breath mints, snacks, hangover cures. Might've had condoms too, I forget on that, but I guess know what your clientele is typically in an uber for right?

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Uber is quickly turning to shit. Now I won't even be able to enjoy my ride peacefully without the driver trying to shove peanuts down my throat.

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of a risky venture isn't it? Presumably Uber for example could kill this stone dead tomorrow by banning its drivers from participating?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Niggas already be tryna to make someone listen to they damn mixtap

This is just the next step

D65

Oct 26, 2017
It's turned into an MLM.

But you know what? I want driverless cars with an affordable mini bar so I can have brekkie on my way to work.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want your fucking mixtapes for free what makes you think I'm gonna buy 11 dollar pistachios from you

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I once had an Uber driver give me his card for some telemarketing company he worked for, trying to sell me on this "great opportunity."

I can't imagine the shit they'll pull to try and get some extra bucks when they're actually encouraged to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a risky venture isn't it? Presumably Uber for example could kill this stone dead tomorrow by banning its drivers from participating?

Yeah, I think they definitely could, but enforcement might be an issue. It would also be a dick move, given how little those drivers actually make when expenses are factored in. Selling snacks seems like a reasonable way to let drivers supplement their income.

rbanke

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
If only there was a service like a taxi, but I didn't have to deal with tipping or talking to the driver or any of the typical BS that comes with taking a taxi...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, next step will be licensed ubers where they will sell you drinks on the way to the pub.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Living in Nashville, I already had a ton of drivers trying to promote their music, lol. This feels like a logical extension.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
What an awesome idea.
I've had people trying to sell me real estate opportunities and gardening services, but a mobile convenience store is the way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would an enterprising driver need to outsource these things when bums on the street try to sell me umbrellas and m&Ms? Print a flyer to put on the seat back to not be overly agressive and there you go.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah not getting this. Wouldn't it just be infinitely more economical for the uber driver just buy in bulk and sell like that? Why even bring a third party into the mix?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anything stopping these drivers from buying their own cheap inventory and selling these goods directly to the consumer?

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not getting this. Wouldn't it just be infinitely more economical for the uber driver just buy in bulk and sell like that? Why even bring a third party into the mix?

I'm assuming because you can just add this into your ride price. Don't have to do an awkward cash transaction for a snickers bar.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I had a guy try to sell me a house.

He was a realtor and does Uber between showings.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I'm assuming because you can just add this into your ride price. Don't have to do an awkward cash transaction for a snickers bar.

I was going to pose the same question, but I think you've identified why drivers would still use this. It's possible to set up a semi-convenient way to do this- using a square reader, pricing everything at round numbers- but even having to pull out a card or wallet is a huge barrier to purchase, versus just rolling it into the ride total.

I think the driver mentioned above who doubles as a weed dealer might be the way to go instead.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to pose the same question, but I think you've identified why drivers would still use this. It's possible to set up a semi-convenient way to do this- using a square reader, pricing everything at round numbers- but even having to pull out a card or wallet is a huge barrier to purchase, versus just rolling it into the ride total.

I think the driver mentioned above who doubles as a weed dealer might be the way to go instead.

Reading the article I don't think thats it, it seem like they are giving away free items and trying to sell market data to the suppliers. So its a separate app/website, you get a free red bull or whatever but they track your purchases and sell it.

Not a bad idea but meh.