• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why would someone do that when they could just buy all that shit themselves at Costco and sell under the table?

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Reading the article I don't think thats it, it seem like they are giving away free items and trying to sell market data to the suppliers. So its a separate app/website, you get a free red bull or whatever but they track your purchases and sell it.

Not a bad idea but meh.

Actually went back and read. Yeah, downloading an additional app is as bad or worse than providing payment, especially when they're so blatantly collecting user data as their primary goal.

Edit: Or maybe just the driver uses the Cargo app? Anyone here who drives rideshare and has used this program? It would be great to get some additional info.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Why would someone do that when they could just buy all that shit themselves at Costco and sell under the table?

Some drivers do this, but collecting payment is a hurdle. Some or all of the snacks in Cargo are free, so its a different sales model than just a straight up snack bar.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Some drivers do this, but collecting payment is a hurdle. Some or all of the snacks in Cargo are free, so its a different sales model than just a straight up snack bar.

Could always provide the option for them to pay for items through the tipping function in the Uber app. Hmm. I drive Uber and I might give this a try. The biggest problem for me will be finding a place in the car to store the goods

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming because you can just add this into your ride price. Don't have to do an awkward cash transaction for a snickers bar.

Ah, now that would make sense. But that just seems messy legally, because wouldn't this third party service have to go through the ride share service too?

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Collecting payment would sorta suck outside of the app. I feel like doing all of that shit might actually bother me. A lot of the time if I'm just going to dinner or for drinks, I just want to be driven and left alone. I don't even think the driver should have any control over the music.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
That's a lot of money for a startup that relies on another company for it to work. Nothing is stopping Lyft or Uber banning this in a contract for their drivers, and then making their own. Risky setup.

I rarely use these services, so I'm not sure it matters much to me personally.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Commodify anything that be commodified.

This can surely last and isn't the sign of unsustainable problems...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's a lot of money for a startup that relies on another company for it to work. Nothing is stopping Lyft or Uber banning this in a contract for their drivers, and then making their own. Risky setup.

I rarely use these services, so I'm not sure it matters much to me personally.

That would kind of go against how Uber works. Not sure with Lyft. Uber would just say it's up to the driver to make the experience pleasant for the passenger, and so the rating system will handle this. They might just send their usual recommendation mail on how to be a model driver. If a driver handles this in a way that passengers enjoy, he'll get positive ratings, if not, negative. Uber has no point in making this more complicated than it needs to be. No need for them to get involved, it's not their problem.

They're not going to give it to me for free anymore? :(

If a driver feels it's a good way for him to get better ratings or tips, he could. It's up to the driver, which is how it should be really.

Commodify anything that be commodified.

This can surely last and isn't the sign of unsustainable problems...

I don't see people complaining about being able to buy stuff from vending machines. Now if you feel like buying an oatmeal cookie, chocolate bar, bubble gum, you might be able to do it in the car. What's the big deal? Is it only fine when it's in a box in a business' hall?

Ah, now that would make sense. But that just seems messy legally, because wouldn't this third party service have to go through the ride share service too?

It's just a box with stuff in it and you pay with an app. Not sure why it would be car-specific, haven't read much on it. I think they are mainly promoting it as such, but I don't see why you couldn't just have it on your desk at the office too.

Last edited:

Tideas

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
since weed is legal in CA, would they be able to sell weed?

When the economy is so fucked you need a side hustle for your side hustle

you realize people will side hustle will side hustle right? it's regardless of the economy. some people just like to make more money than they already have, even if they're making good money.

I can tell you the indian drivers in SF are not poverty class