• Yay

Votes: 443 45.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 532 54.5%

• Total voters

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Nearly two-thirds of Uber customers don't tip their drivers

Only 1 percent of Uber customers always tip, while nearly 60 percent never do, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). The average tip is 50 cents a ride, but for those who do tip, the average is more like $3. Men are more likely to tip than women, but female drivers get tipped more than male ones.

The researchers were uniquely positioned: in addition to combining big data analyzation with field experimentation, the team actually helped Uber implement its in-app tipping option, which rolled out in June 2017. As such, they were able to develop data from more than 40 million trips.

What they found was not a whole lot of tipping. Roughly 16 percent of Uber rides are tipped. Yet, most riders (60 percent) never tipped over the research team's four weeks of data collection. Of those who do tip, very few (1 percent) tip on every trip. The remainder of people only tip on about 25 percent of trips.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's expensive and it's optional. Tipping should die. Uber and lyft (and restaurants) should just pay employees fair wages and charge accordingly.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
huh i wonder if uber should pay their drivers more instead of relying on a shitty tip system

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I give the driver 5 stars and keep it pushing. The ride is always mad expensive so I never tip.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When we went on vacation a couple of months ago we used Lyft to get around. I tipped $5 a trip, and the driver's all seemed ecstatic about that. Some cheap mother fuckers out there.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I always tip my Lyft drivers. It's right above the review section, which I always rate 5* and pick all the options, so I kind of feel obligated even if it is absolutely killing my bank account.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why should you tip? You're already paying for the ride.

Because getting a ride from somone should not be nearly as cheap as Uber makes it. The math doesn't work out when there is a human involved in driving (see how all of these companies are losing money hand over fist). It is important to tip, because Uber and Lyft are not paying nearly enough for people to live off (while still losing money) especially when considering wear and tear on a car.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Always 20% unless they fucking went the wrong way a million times.

What do you think these drivers are pulling in the entire ride fare or some shit?

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
depending on the distance/cost I top accordingly. If the ride is only like $15 I'm probably only tipping $2, etc.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I tip when the driver is exceedingly nice or accomodating beyond the ride basics. For example we had a driver give us a city architecture tour as he drove us to the destination in a new city to us, pointing out interesting buildings, their origin and so forth.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
To be honest I stopped using uber because there's this borderline adversarial relationship with the driver sometimes and I don't really like it so I stick with taxis if I can or just drive myself. One time I had to take an uber from Oshawa to Toronto and the entire time the driver was complaining about how much he hated driving to Toronto because there was no money in it. I asked him if he wanted me to cancel the ride so he could go do something else but he was like "No, no, I'm not saying I won't take you there just - " and then went on to explain about how much it ruined his day to have to drive to Toronto.

So uh yeah lately I just call a cab if I need one, with uber being something I rarely use. When I do use it, I always tip though.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I typically try to tip everytime, but unless I have my app open when I arrive at my destination, I never get prompted to. Which usually means whoever drives my drunk ass home is out the extra few bucks because I'm usually going straight to bed at that point.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The one time I had to use an Uber I tipped the guy $20. He asked my how long I'd be in town and gave me his card. lol

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Uber will inevitably have to raise their prices. Tips, higher rates, whatever. Their business model is bleeding cash and while it's fine for now, eventually something will have to change.

The one time I had to use an Uber I tipped the guy $20. He asked my how long I'd be in town and gave me his card. lol

Everytime I've taken an uber I don't get prompted for the tip until after I'm already at my destination and out of the car. Did they change something or did you linger in the car for a while?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole sell of uber early on was that it was one charge and that's that

of course tipping culture had to claim another victim

Oct 25, 2017
I only tip because I only use uber to get to the airport when I'm about to leave for a work trip so I can expense the whole thing.
So really you could say my company loves to give uber drivers a big tip.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've always tipped my Uber drivers. I hate the concept of tipping in general but that's the way it is, so just like with restaurants I always do the suggested amount. I think I didn't tip a guy one time and that's because he took us "the long way" and did some dangerous stuff while driving.

On the other hand, I've never left a tip in a hotel room for the cleaning staff and I don't know anyone who does, but apparently it's quite normal in some areas of the country.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always tip, do you really think Uber is paying them adequately? Often I'll try to figure out what a comparable cab ride would have cost and tip the difference, but I'm also a weirdo who will tip more for drivers who get lost because I feel bad for them feeling bad for me

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't get paid an adequate wage for that trip, therefore you are underpaying for their service when you do not tip.
Uber allows you to pay less than you should because it's at the expense of their driver, who, most of the time in my experience, do their damn hardest to earn tips. That 60% number is sad.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I still cannot believe American consumers took something as great as electronic ride sharing and fucked it up by demanding they add tipping for no reason, after these companies tried so hard to build their fare systems without it for years.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
But Uber started by actually discouraging tipping so I got used to it. I have tipped when the driver is better than avg but I don't tip on every trip.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Because getting a ride from somone should not be nearly as cheap as Uber makes it. The math doesn't work out when there is a human involved in driving (see how all of these companies are losing money hand over fist). It is important to tip, because Uber and Lyft are not paying nearly enough for people to live off (while still losing money) especially when considering wear and tear on a car.
Indeed, the math doesnt work out, esp when wear and tear are factored.

That, however, is a reason for not driving for uber and lyft. Not a reason for tipping.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I still cannot believe American consumers took something as great as electronic ride sharing and fucked it up by demanding they add tipping for no reason, after these companies tried so hard to build their fare systems without it for years.

American Corporations fucked it up by not paying their drivers shit. Don't get mad that someone wanted to tip an employee to help them out.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
I tip every ride..., reluctantly.

Uber & Lyft are so much better than grabbing a cab. Lmao at your medallions now, cabbies. Should've worked on improving your service instead of nickel and diming every hailed ride.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Saturday my Uber driver offered complementary beer, soda, candy, and condoms. Talked a bit more than what I prefer but I tipped him handsomely

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I've taken an uber I don't get prompted for the tip until after I'm already at my destination and out of the car. Did they change something or did you linger in the car for a while?

You can tip in cash. Which is preferable, because then there's no way Uber can try to take a portion of it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The way I understand it, salaries are built into the fee. So why would I tip unless I get above and beyond service?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I would agree with this, but the problem is uber is so ridiculously cheap compared to cabs and other services in general. Ride sharing is an impossibly unsustainable concept. I'm not sure people realize how expensive it is to own a car, put mileage on it, the gas costs, etc. on top of that for uber/lyft to be as convenient as they are, they need a ridiculous amount of drivers on the road at all times to make sure they're close enough to grab people who need rides. Again unsustainable. Enjoy it while you can, it's not gonna last.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

i hate this thought process.

why is it always the consumers fault a business cant pay their employees a living wage?

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I tipped was in cash because the driver drove like Michael Knight and I made my flight. UK here, generally no tipping for delivery, taxis etc.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
American Corporations fucked it up by not paying their drivers shit. Don't get mad that someone wanted to tip an employee to help them out.

Absolutely get mad at consumers, Uber etc had no tipping for ages until consumers freaked out about it and were tipping in cash etc.

This is a consumer created problem that will slowly decay and lead to the exact same stupid shit you see in other American tipping culture where workers are underpaid and rely on tips to make a living wage, unlike the original premise of ride sharing apps where this wasn't the case at all.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Ok I agree with this also Uber should pay their drivers more, but understand that means the cost of each ride increases substantially.

I don't need to "understand" that it increases the charge. It's basic math. You add money to the cost and, yes, it gets more expensive. But that's not the driver's fault.

Absolutely get mad at consumers, Uber etc had no tipping for ages until consumers freaked out about it and were tipping in cash etc.

This is a consumer created problem that will slowly decay and lead to the exact same stupid shit you see in other American tipping culture where workers are underpaid and rely on tips to make a living wage, unlike the original premise of ride sharing apps where this wasn't the case at all.

Okay, so basically you came into this thread to be shady and shit on Americans so you can look edgy on a forum. Got it.

If consumers didn't DEMAND to tip the drivers they'd still be making the fucking abysmal amount that Uber would be paying them. Adding tipping didn't magically decrease the drivers' wages: they weren't getting paid shit to begin with.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017

You are absolutely correct.