• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Uber Technologies Inc., in its financial report Thursday, failed to surpass analysts' expectations in the way its hometown rival did the day before, sparking a selloff in after-hours trading. Uber's second-quarter adjusted sales fell short of estimates, and it posted an eye-watering $5.24 billion net loss.

Most of that loss was attributed to stock-based compensation associated with the initial public offering in May, a routine expense for newly public companies. The adjusted loss—a more commonly used metric for ride-hailing companies, which excludes interest, tax and other expenses—more than doubled to $656 million but wasn't as large as the $979.1 million average of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

I'm amazed they're still going.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Just read the blurb you posted. It's a result of the IPO. It's a one quarter loss for posting up their stock to the public. Their actual losses are not near that bad. 656 million loss which was actually less than was expected for real losses. They beat estimates on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least there's Lyft as janky as that can sometimes be. Some cities just couldn't operate properly without ride sharing. Public transportation has too many gaps

Also you OP kind of makes it seem more dire than it is when even in the section you quoted it said
Most of that loss was attributed to stock-based compensation associated with the initial public offering in May, a routine expense for newly public companies. The adjusted loss—a more commonly used metric for ride-hailing companies, which excludes interest, tax and other expenses—more than doubled to $656 million but wasn't as large as the $979.1 million average of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Oct 28, 2017
Basically a bunch of people cashed out on the IPO. Bay Area will probably take another hit with another surge of millionaires.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen two threads now asking the "are you a robot" question in the OP. What is that? The link works properly.

Furfur

Alt account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Is this an actual loss or the bizarre finance definition where they still made a bunch of operating profit but less than expectations?

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we could actually fund public transit properly... :(
I live in Boston and we keep getting rate hikes with nothing to show, so I'm not optimistic. Also, how does a city have bars close between 1-2am when public transportation stops before 1am?!

With virtually no overheads, how can they be losing so much?
Well aside from the IPO reasons stated, heavy investment into automatic vehicle research

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Used one the other day for the first time. Six quid and it would've cost double in a taxi. Honestly the ease and simplicity of it was wonderful.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Damn imagine if we invested money into public infrastructure that served a purpose for the public instead of being stressed about generating value for investors wild idea

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So their plan is undercut competition while making a loss until there is no competition left. Sounds illegal.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
What's up with the sensationalist headline and thread title? Most of that loss was a result of the IPO.

Sadly this forum's financial literacy is relatively poor.

And shocker, the stock is up 8% today!

Most of that loss was attributed to stock-based compensation associated with the initial public offering in May, a routine expense for newly public companies. The adjusted loss—a more commonly used metric for ride-hailing companies, which excludes interest, tax and other expenses—more than doubled to $656 million but wasn't as large as the $979.1 million average of analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least they have something to show for it. It's not like Theranos.
The problem is that they don't have much to show for it. All these losses are because they are undercharging — they are just burning money and not investing in any actual infrastructure.

Last edited:

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Shares were down 10% after the results.
They missed on revenue and eps expectations.
Even without the ipo losses they lost 1.3 billion.

But yes the forums financial literacy is poor...

The stock pared back most of the losses afterhours - it's only down 3% from today's close, and today's close was 8+% up on Wednesday's close, meaning the stock is still up this week despite the results.

EDIT: My mistake, I hadn't realised they released earnings after hours, but my point still stands

Jun 4, 2019
They're pumping a ton of money into the self driving stuff right?
Could've sworn they gave up on that years ago when Dana joined. They're crossing their fingers that Tesla, Ford, Apple, Google, or somebody figures it out soon. I would invest in those companies if your goal is exposure to auto driving tech. Be the shovel seller, not the gold digger, etc etc.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If they ever go under, or these ride sharing companies have to stop subsidizing the true cost of a ride, I wonder how society will react? I fill like ride sharing is ingrained within society to such an extent that I can't fathom life without it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're pumping a ton of money into the self driving stuff right?
The entire point of Uber's move into taxi services has been to try and get a foothold into the market for when the self-driving change happens.

The problem is that the rosy estimates of when that transition would be able to happen aren't panning out, and the entire "doorstop" model was built around subsidizing user's rides, which is why fare increases/pay decreases are likely inevitable.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could've sworn they gave up on that years ago when Dana joined. They're crossing their fingers that Tesla, Ford, Apple, Google, or somebody figures it out soon. I would invest in those companies if your goal is exposure to auto driving tech. Be the shovel seller, not the gold digger, etc etc.
I think at some point they realized that the cost of maintaining a massive fleet of self-driving cars that need gas, repairs, and maintenance is probably just as much as expensive as having human drivers. Now they're just treading water.