• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/...alifornia-bill.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Uber pushed back on Wednesday against a newly passed California bill that effectively requires companies to reclassify their contract workers as employees, in a sign of the emerging resistance that the measure is prompting across the gig economy.

Tony West, Uber's chief legal officer, said in a news conference that the ride-hailing company would not treat its drivers, who are independent contractors, as employees under the California bill. He said that drivers were not a core part of Uber's business and could maintain their independent status when the measure goes into effect as state law on Jan. 1.

Uber's business, Mr. West said, is not providing rides but "serving as a technology platform for several different types of digital marketplaces." He added that the company was "no stranger to legal battles."

More info in the link but all I can say is wow!

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can say whatever they want. I have faith in the Californian court system to make the right decision.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they're not core to their business then who will be driving these cars if you don't need these people?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Pretty soon the cars will drive themselves, so Uber just needs to fight this out until then.

The technology to find riders, and autonomously drive them is their core goal. They see the drivers as current plebs to reach that goal, and therfore are not apart of their envisioned core.

However, currently the human driver is part of their business. Autonomous diving isn't completely done, yet.

Basically, drivers are their core right now. But Uber plans ditching them as soon as possible.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I actually laughed aloud at the title. The audacity.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck these companies. Also fuck the whole autonomous car dream too. Give me massive, public transportation systems.

OP
OP
Socivol

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I actually laughed aloud at the title. The audacity.
My friend sent me a screenshot of her NYT alert with the headline and I thought she was full of shit. I went to their Twitter and that was the headline. Then I read the article and just wow. I'm not surprised though, Uber isn't a company I hold in high regard. To basically be so dismissive of the work that the majority of your workforce is doing completely disgusted me.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The tech will be ready in 3-5 years, but ...

can't disagree here.

Time will tell if people will trust self driving tech to at the very least not kill them, but also figure out weird corner cases that happen with pickups/dropoffs.

Also is a self-driving car gonna walk the Uber Eats deliveries up those apartments and office buildings?

Oct 27, 2017
He's right. It's like when you go into a McDonald's. The employees there aren't a core part of the business. After all, you're eating a Big Mac not the people working there, right?
(/s if that isn't obvious)

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Not that Lyft is much better, but this js why I dont use Uber. They have always been straight up ass holes.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
their entire business model is ignoring laws that specifically go against their interests so they can undercut unionized labor, this is the least surprising thing they've ever done

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The tech will be ready in 3-5 years, but ...

can't disagree here.

More like 30-50 years. Driverless AI has a long, looooong way to go, and getting them legally on the road in significant numbers is even further out. And that's not even factoring in the morality and ethics questions of how the AIs are programmed to manage risk and fatalities. I will be mildly surprised if there are a significant number of driverless cars on the road regularly in my lifetime.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's right. It's like when you go into a McDonald's. The employees there aren't a core part of the business. After all, you're eating a Big Mac not the people working there, right?
(/s if that isn't obvious)
McDonald's is a brick-and-mortar platform that allows farmers and cattle ranchers access to a marketplace that motorized food consumers also access.

Not sure why anyone would honestly think food is the core of the fast food business.

Sometimes people who access Uber's technology platform to access marketplaces are accessing McDonald's marketplace.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Regardless of the driverless tech being ready, the fact is, they're gonna have to produce a million of them shits to replace the actual damn cars all those drivers supply the company for free.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Yelp try or do something super shitty like this? They tried to classify themselves as an internet service provider (as in, a provider of a service on the internet) so their "data" would be protected when businesses wanted them to disclose their algorithm for why/how/when Yelp would hide good reviews and boost bad ones?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
If drivers aren't a core partner of Uber's business, I guess they won't have to stress about having any drivers in California now. Should be easy for them.

Oct 28, 2017
That's because "very popular" quickly leads to a monopoly. In which case, better it be under the US Gov with at least SOME oversight than corporate assholes who only care about $$$
But people here often claim stuff is a monopoly when it isn't. Uber is nowhere close to a monopoly. Just because a service or product is very popular or clearly the dominant one in the market doesn't mean it's a monopoly.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol of course they are and Uber knows it. I imagine this is how they're going to get out of this if/when they take it to court. "You see your honor we're not a transportation service, we're a technology company!" Hopefully that argument gets thrown out.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they have to say this because they have to protect shareholder value.

admitting that Uber drivers are a core part of the Uber business model would go against that.

so they tell embarrassing lies.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck with that defense. A judge ought to laugh them out of court if they try it.