• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.wcvb.com/article/uber-tackles-sex-assault-problem-by-pledging-5m-to-training/13362036

Uber is pledging $5 million over the next five years to seven organizations that work to prevent sexual assaults, a move aimed at helping the ride-hailing service combat its own problems as well as society as a whole.

The world's largest ride-hailing company says the money will help the organizations fund their own programs as well train 150 of Uber's customer service agents as part of a new team to deal with sexual assault reports, including how to interview people reporting improper conduct.

Under Uber's stepped-up efforts, team members receive training on how to respond to sexual assault and harassment from experts in the field, including letting a caller talk without interruption, coaching employees how to ask questions that aren't judgmental, and offering resources to victims such as law enforcement information and a national crisis hotline phone number. In addition, drivers and passengers will get messages via Uber's app referring them to information on how to intervene peacefully as a bystander and how to spot signs of trouble.

$5 million over five years for a giant company like Uber.

itsfuckingnothing.gif

Such a small amount really shows that this is all a PR move and that they don't really give a shit to actually fix the huge problems their company has with this.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous thread. When it comes to creating training programs, you've got no idea what $5 million will get done at uber.

What would have been an acceptable amount to you? What would that amount have facilitated that this money won't?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question as I don't know how much these things cost: Is $5 million over 5 years a lot or nothing for this?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Can't invest investor money in things investors don't care about i guess.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea whether $5 million over 5 years is significant, what programs this is going into, or anything. How is OP arriving at the conclusion it isn't? Purely based on the amount?

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
What a ridiculous thread. When it comes to creating training programs, you've got no idea what $5 million will get done at uber.

What would have been an acceptable amount to you? What would that amount have facilitated that this money won't?

Uber had 327k active drivers in 2015, so thats about $3 per driver per year in training costs. I wonder how many sexual assault prevention programs cost $15 per person.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-doubles-its-drivers-in-2015-2015-10

Oct 26, 2017
Uber had 327k active drivers in 2015, so thats about $3 per driver per year in training costs. I wonder how many sexual assault prevention programs cost $15 per person.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-doubles-its-drivers-in-2015-2015-10

That's about three dollars per driver per year. What do they going to do, distribute a pamphlet?

But the money is not really going to train the drivers. Why are you not reading the OP?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
including how to interview people reporting improper conduct.

This gives me bad vibes. Universities acting as investigators are bad enough, I can't imagine Uber being any better especially with their company culture

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
But the money is not going to train the drivers. Why are you not reading the OP?

I read the OP. They are going to donate money to organizations to develop programs to prevent sexual assault. Meanwhile they will train their CSR's to listen intently, text/email victims hotline numbers and tell them to call 911 to report a crime.

Seems like they could do more as far as training their drivers to not sexually assault people. Isn't that who they should really be focused on in this situation? The people who interact with the customers?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
$4,999,990 for the salary of the guy they hire for this training program.

$10,000 to film a short, basic sexual assault video on youtube that they require drivers to watch once a year.