• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
25% is the retailer's margin ($15 at $60, $5 at $20).
20% is the licensing fee + cost of goods from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for making a retail game ($12, and from previous conversations with industry figures, this is static regardless what you're charging).

By comparison, it's a flat 30% with digital.

Edit: Since people are asking, COGS = Cost of Goods Sold.

Edit 2:

It's also worth noting this:

Unless it's changed, it should be noted that the licensing fee is a manufacturing charge, not a sales charge.

You have to pay them to even make the game (per unit), regardless of whether anybody ends up buying it or not.

marginubisofti8u02.png

Source: https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/comsite_common/en-US/images/34ubisoft q3fy18 1202_tcm99-318978_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was barely anything, hence the rush to Digital Distribution, that the retail store was taking the biggest part of the pie on physical games

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I always say the rise of digital is a good thing for AA and smaller games because the margins are bigger. They can sell less to break even as oppose to a market that's 100% physical.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And yet people complain that Steam takes too much of a cut??

Digital is better in all aspects, it's awesome. Do not care whatsoever about re-selling or trading, because I'm well past that stage in my life.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Interesting, but I guess it also makes sense that Digital would have bigger margins without an additional party involved.

Also, you got one i too many in that "Ubisoft", OP.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that is interesting to see indeed. I didn't realize it was just a straight 30% to the storefront (MS/Sony/Nintendo) on digital. I can definitely see the push for digital by publishers. Also, if digital consumption is on the rise, where does that leave retailers in the future? I am sure physical will never go away, but I'm curious to know about future software distribution piplines.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
What I find interesting is that this hardly changed in 15 years or so, from what I saw during my time running a games department in a Virgin Megastore. Cost Per Unit to buy in was £30 - £44 on console games (this was before Sony was sued for price fixing).

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense why they want to open up PC storefronts. Why give 30% to Valve when you can keep it for yourself?

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Wow, that is interesting to see indeed. I didn't realize it was just a straight 30% to the storefront (MS/Sony/Nintendo) on digital. I can definitely see the push for digital by publishers. Also, if digital consumption is on the rise, where does that leave retailers in the future? I am sure physical will never go away, but I'm curious to know about future software distribution piplines.
It was know before the stores get 30%... Apple and Steam to the same.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What I find interesting is that this hardly changed in 15 years or so, from what I saw during my time running a games department in a Virgin Megastore. Cost Per Unit to buy in was £30 - £44 on console games (this was before Sony was sued for price fixing).

The prices of the games neither the public have grown either whereas the budgets yes.

That's why we have GaaS and DLC and those things

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
That's why i don't understand when people want retail editions of indie or AA games, support them more digitally!

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Why there is no Sony, MS or Nintendo royalties for digital?

Because its included in the online store cost instead of a double charge, to incentivise using their digital store, where they as platform holders also get more money than selling to retail stores.

So by going digital and going with nintendo instead of a store retailer, they get an extra 15-20% for themselves.

Meaning that digital sales are literally worth more than physical sales, to the tune of about an entire extra sale in revenue made, for every 5-7 digital units moved. Which is fucking massive.

Looks like I nailed the shit out of this.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Makes sense why they want to open up PC storefronts. Why give 30% to Valve when you can keep it for yourself?

you know, they can just sell the keys themselves? The Valve cut is only paid for games that are bought through Steam. Greenmangaming and all the other storefronts don't pay Valve anything, that's why they can give 20% discount on new games.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While that graphic makes it look like a bad deal for a publisher to use retail at all, it's probably worth remembering retailers buy millions of copies before the game even ships. If it weren't for those bulk purchases, a lot of big games probably wouldn't be made since I doubt big publishers like EA or Ubisoft would sink hundreds of millions of dollars into a game's development unless they can practically guarantee a launch shipment of, say, five million copies.

...and if that graphic is right, those retailers pay $45 per copy and make a profit of $15 per copy bought by consumers? Typically speaking, I mean. So if retailers buy a total of five million copies to sell to the public, that's $225m right there.

Man, having these figures really helps you understand why so many big games are considered flops.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, great argument for digital, good to see devs/pubs rewarded better.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
you know, they can just sell the keys themselves? The Valve cut is only paid for games that are bought through Steam. Greenmangaming and all the other storefronts don't pay Valve anything, that's why they can give 20% discount on new games.
I'm not quite sure that's exactly how it works.

Who allows the key generation algorithim database to begin with?

Are you saying Valve makes literally ZERO money? While allowing everyone to still download and use their Steam servers constantly?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The platform holders take 30% of every game sold on their digital stores??? That is insane, wow.

Imagine Sony with 70 million active users buying stuff on PSN. Jesus.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the cost escalation means everyone wants to cut out the physical retailers.

RIP physical retailers.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always say the rise of digital is a good thing for AA and smaller games because the margins are bigger. They can sell less to break even as oppose to a market that's 100% physical.

There is a downside though, with digital you only get paid on what you sell, with physical the publisher gets retailers to buy X thousands/millions of copies up front and get paid.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

If digital prices were equivalent to Best Buy's GCU, I'd go all digital in a heartbeat.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The platform holders take 30% of every game sold on their digital stores??? That is insane, wow.

Imagine Sony with 70 million active users buying stuff on PSN. Jesus.
Do you not know what Steam is? It's been publically known they've been taking 30% for the past 13+ years when they started.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft and Sony make 50% more on digital sales.
Publisher make more on digital sales.

Everyone wins

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And that's the reason why being a first party is important. The amount of revenues lost to royalties and digital storefronts are pretty significant.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Are you saying Valve makes literally ZERO money? While allowing everyone to still download and use their Steam servers constantly?

Yeah a publisher can generate Steam keys to sell on other stores for free. If you buy a Steam key on Greenmagaming Valve gets 0% of that sale.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. If the Steam key is purchased elsewhere, Valve makes 0% from the sale. I assume Valve thinks this is worth getting more people in their ecosystem.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Correct.

Valve doesn't get a cent on every retail game that activates on steam.
Valve doesn't get a cent on every digital key sold through thirdparty stores
Valve doesn't get a cent on every key that gets thrown at the user through promotions (graphic card pack-in or free keys from developers)

Why?
- every new steam user is a win for Valve
- third party sales are minuscule in the grand scheme of things
- Valve good-guy
- apology for not counting to 3