• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

PRESS RELEASE from provider: Business Wire

EpicGamesStore_FrontPage.png

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar 20, 2019--Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy's The Division 2 on the Epic Games store, Ubisoft and the Epic Games store announced an extension to their agreement that will bring several major PC releases to the store in partnership with their Uplay division. Details will be revealed in the future by Ubisoft.

Additional back catalog titles from Ubisoft are confirmed for Epic's free games program.

Looks like we should expect Watch_Dogs 3 to hit the Epic Games Store and Uplay later this year.

Games up right now include:

• Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Watch_Dogs 2
  • Far Cry Primal

Last edited:

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
That upfront money must be nice for Ubisoft.

I'm already buying Ubisoft games on Uplay, so nothing will change for me, but I still think it sucks for consumers overall.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is making out like a bandit from this deal. Lots of people already have Uplay and are probably used to buying things from Uplay itself due to the discount from Uplay points, and I doubt many people who have both Uplay and EGS installed are buying The Division 2 on EGS. Ubisoft is also already very generous in giving away their back catalogue on Uplay as is (I got AssCreed 3, Rayman Origins, World in Conflict, Beyond Good and Evil, and Watch_Dogs free). Basically, Ubi gets a fat stack of cash for this and probably drives more sales towards Uplay where they get 100% of the cut.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man Epic is going all out. I don't agree with their policy on exclusives, but there's no denying they've been doing a ton to become a serious competitor.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This GDC has been fucking wild lol

I can't imagine what the behind closed doors meetings for things launching next year are like.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
At least i can buy them on uplay is not a sentence i thought i would be writing in the year of our lord 2019.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I can totally assure you that Rayman Legends is gonna be free on EGS soon. That game is already everywhere so I wouldn't be surprised.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man Epic is going all out. I don't agree with their policy on exclusives, but there's no denying they've been doing a ton to become a serious competitor.

I know I'll get dragged for this opinion, but I'm glad that Epic is putting some damn fire under Steam's heels. They've been stagnant and clustered for too long, and only got away with it because it didn't have any real competition. Maybe moves like this will inspire Valve to get compeittive again, before most of their previous partners are suddenly "Epic Store Only".

EDIT: Wow, some of you *really* like Steam.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Ubisoft is making out like a bandit from this deal. Lots of people already have Uplay and are probably used to buying things from Uplay itself due to the discount from Uplay points, and I doubt many people who have both Uplay and EGS installed are buying The Division 2 on Uplay. Ubisoft is also already very generous in giving away their back catalogue on Uplay as is (I got AssCreed 3, Rayman Origins, World in Conflict, Beyond Good and Evil, and Watch_Dogs free). Basically, Ubi gets a fat stack of cash for this and probably drives more sales towards Uplay where they get 100% of the cut.
This has been my take from the get go. I think your first sentence has a typo at the end though? Shouldn't it be " I doubt many people who have both Uplay and EGS installed are buying The Division 2 on EGS"?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
When people had the option between Steam and uPlay they opted for Steam
When people had the option between EGS and upaly, they opted for Uplay

of course The Division 2 is going to have 6x higher pre-orders compared to the other one.

By eliminating Steam, everyone will go to uPlay instead of EGS.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Give me Pandora Tomorrow on PC and Chaos Theory co-op and all will be forgiven, Epic
Okay not everything but mostly forgiven.

Jan 16, 2019
I know I'll get dragged for this opinion, but I'm glad that Epic is putting some damn fire under Steam's heels. They've been stagnant and clustered for too long, and only got away with it because it didn't have any real competition. Maybe moves like this will inspire Valve to get compeittive again, before most of their previous partners are suddenly "Epic Store Only".
Competitive how, all you want is for the different platforms to have exclusives by the sound of it. And Steam has not been stagnant at all but ofc you wouldn't know about that since you don't even know half of what they've been doing the past couple years

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Recon Wild Lands, Far Cry Primal and Watch Dogs 2 are up. I imagine WD2 will be free soon in time for WD3 announcement.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
So both metro and the division 2 had a successful launch on the egs...hmm seems like Era overreacted.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Epic really are the lowest of the low, just throwing money at everything, to hell with the consumers and what's good for them, all they want is to be the "top dog" on PC at whatever cost.

I will not be giving them a damn penny,

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the only way to beat this is to moneyhat against epic?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Ah would've preferred other games for free not interested in Ubi games waste of spots, except their oldest titles like Prince of Persia or SSX 3 those are cool
Edit, wait I think I misread oh you can purchase their older games on EGS ok

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Give me Pandora Tomorrow on PC
This will never happen because of the fact that the PC port is completely fucked when it comes to lighting (shadows aren't being rendered properly meaning the game is unplayable as some missions require you to stay in the shadows and you obviously can't do that if you can't see them) and has some serious incompatibilities with newer GPUs (because of a lack of shadow buffers) and Win 7/8/10 PCs. Ubisoft would have to fix up the PC port, but if they did this, I'd quicky be on-board with EGS as a whole.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Neat. Personally still don't care for their games though. I wonder that this'll mean for the future of Epic and Steam though.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it was a success, the game deserves it. Probably the most polished GAAS I've played at launch.
I'm surprised at the epic store sales though, why not just buy it through UPlay. The game's going to need you to install it anyway, and there's no advantage to buying it on the epic store.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Do you want Valve to buy exclusivity for indie games so that they'll launch 1 year after on other stores and consoles?

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
valve has already improved the revenue split, big aaa games like div2 easily get in te highest bracket of steams revenue share.
this isnt about the revenue split, its about epic straight up paying off publishers.

How did you think Epic was gonna do it if they were to take away Steam's marketshare? Of course they'll moneyhat. That's a guarantee that people will be more likely to move over if they can't find those games on Steam.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Valve improves the revenue split EGS would be irrelevant again.
That isn't what is getting all these devs and pubs to be EPS only or exclusive for a year. Epic are paying for those "partnerships". Revenue split will only matter after a 1 year also that's not adding to the fact that Ubisoft titles would likely be part of the titles they gain improved spilts after > $50 million in revenue.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Steam is gonna have to drop their % they take to be competitive against epic or they are going to risk losing some big games it looks like.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to exclusive titles and the Fortnite player base, Epic's free game program, which brings high-quality free titles every two weeks, has helped the audience grow to more than 85,000,000 PC players.

Not to get off topic, but I believe this is first time Epic has given us the PC-specific audience numbers for Fortnite. 85 million, holy shit that's a lot of eyeballs looking at a tightly curated store.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm not linking my Epic games account to my Uplay account. I hope they give the freebies to Uplay users, too.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Steam is gonna have to drop their % they take to be competitive against epic or they are going to risk losing some big games it looks like.

That has nothing to do with this. Epic is paying devs and publishers millions for exclusivity. Only thing Steam and other storefronts can do about this is moneyhatting games themselves. It's such a sad and f*cked up situation.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Watch Dogs 2 is only $9.

Epic has been making me giddy today. Now I just hope Google's controller software isn't tied to an app and is easier than steam to work with games not on Stadia (steam and big picture take up so much resources), and I'd be all good. Though I doubt Stadia controller stuff will ever have touch pad for mouse look :(.