• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
On June 13, massive Hong Kong citizens (reportedly 1 million) took it to the street to protest a bill that would allow criminal extraction from HK to Beijing. They collided with police who deployed teargas and rubber bullets. Here is the story on BBC and CNN.

Ubisoft on the same date released this AD for Watchdogs Legion on Facebook, both in English and in Chinese, with slightly different wording. (translation mine)
LzgmGyg.png

The AD could be viewed as supporting HK movement is because of the date, wording, and most importantly, the umbrellas. Since the Umbrella Movement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Movement) in 2014 where protestors all used umbrellas to defend against both rain and teargas canisters, umbrella has become a symbol for civil movement, especially against pressure from Beijing.
5774984-3x2-940x627.jpg

201709asia_china_hongkong_unbrella_occupy.jpg

This time around, protestors also used umbrellas:
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190612125654-21-hong-kong-protests-0612.jpg

The Facebook Ad was distributed by Chinese Weibo users and gamers, and in the comments, they condemn the Ad for having the wrong opinion, call for boycott and firing the community manager who posted the AD because "official account should not express political opinions". Most of them were quickly censored because the whole HK incident is censored on Chinese social media. Here are some highly voted weibo. (Translation mine)

tvBjInv.png

Ubisoft, one day later, released an apology:

TZugHbF.png

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have apologized for this. It's incredibly disappointing that they did, and to be real, it totally undermines the game itself. Which is super shitty of them.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine accidentally doing something admirable and deciding it's best to apologize for it. What the umbrella movement has been fighting for is a very worthy cause.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Man what the fuck is it with Ubisoft?

Sure we heard the whole "both sides/boogie shit" but to bend this far?

Shame on you Ubisoft. Truly.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
And so, in saying that they wish to remain apolitical in this instance, they have made yet another political statement, except this one's much worse.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fucking cowards. This reminds me of how Steam refused to stand up for the Devotion devs and their organised harassment by Chinese steam accounts and the Chinese government.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol this makes the games co-opting of "resistance" look even lamer.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Stuff like this makes me not want to support Ubisoft. I wish they would grow a backbone when it comes to taking a stand against outright limitations of people's freedom.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
They could've just not said anything and it would leave it open to interpretation. They just chose a side and it isn't the right one.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's poetry to the dev of a game dealing with fighting an oppressive government immediately shying away when an oppressive government steps in to complain about an ad.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
As much as Ubisoft has improved over the years, I can't help but be disappointed that they are so afraid to stand up for what clearly is right and what they seem to believe in but have no backbone to fight for

Oct 25, 2017
The west needs to make consenting to China's bullshit more painful than losing that market, otherwise China will continue to use it's economy as bait to entice foreign investment with the condition of looking the other way as those investments are used to oppress their population.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The contrast between their games and what they have been saying on social/to the press is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth.

If you don't want to comment, upset anyone, with your game then stop window dressing (although, in almost of their games its WAY more than that) it with whatever bullshit real people/with real lives are dealing with. It's bullshit.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
That's the most Ubisoft thing that's ever happened. Especially hilarious in the wake of the watchdogs reveal.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"We don't want our game that rightfully criticizes and demonizes authoritarian surveillance states to piss off an authoritarian surveillance state."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this backdown seems rather incongruent to the themes of Watchdogs Legion

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Move out Rayman and Ezio, Boogie is going to be the new mascot of Ubisoft

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Watchdogs a series about playing as rebellious hackers?

Guess Chinese money is more important then addhearing to your own series message

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they plan to earn money on the Chinese market. China enjoys to flex a bit with games and companies that don't fit some of their politics, so this is no surprise.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apologize to the PRC? Why? Fuck them. They're pure evil and if their defenders (blind sheep or paid shills) are upset then too bad.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yeah, isnt Tencent a big shareholder of Ubisoft

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So cowardly to apologize, very disappointed. The entire point of the game is to go against an authoritarian government.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Ubisoft said they didn't make political games

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Lol it's a game about resisting oppression*

*unless it's the Chinese market and ripe for tons of profit

Could this watchdogs game even be sold in China?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Tencent only own 5% of Ubisoft? I wouldn't think they'd have a ton of influence with such a small percentage of ownership.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
The Chinese government can start protesting when they close their open air prison camp for Uighurs.

Ubisoft is spineless.