• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
So I see a lot of people have objected to this statement. While I'm not a mind-reader and can't speak for the reasons why they might have said this, I have a pretty good idea of why they would.

The police as an institution is deeply problematic. It does a pretty much non-existent job of filtering out white supremacists and bullies, the way they are trained is terrible (not enough emphasis on de-escalation), there is little accountability and problematic offenders get off with slaps on the wrist, and there is some evidence to suggest that domestic abuse is far common in families with police members. There's a good reason why minority people (especially african-americans) generally aren't fond of them, and that's because you can never know if an officer will be decent and try to do their job the way it should ideally be done, or if they will harass you or even worse, kill you.

So yeah "fuck cops" seems like an unreasonable generalization only if you are not aware of the place where it's coming from. Obviously people know that it's impossible for 100% of the police to be uniformly terrible, but "not all" statements are usually born from a place of defensiveness or ignorance to acknowledge the structural problems that the statement alludes to.

Boosting this.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
A friend of mine is gay and a cop. You absolutely fucking ignorant troll.

Thank you. Before this moment I never considered that gay cops might exist. Or black cops, or Muslim cops, or other people who might regularly be the target of police harrassment or (often lethal) violence. Thank you for shining the light in my eyes and letting me see the way.

Seriously how are these replies still coming, it's like watching a slow-moving train wreck

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Thank you. Before this moment I never considered that gay cops might exist. Or black cops, or Muslim cops, or other people who might regularly be the target of police harrassment or (often lethal) violence. Thank you for shining the light in my eyes and letting me see the way.

Seriously how are these replies still coming, it's like watching a slow-moving train wreck
Oh my God. You are truly a terrible person. Just...go away.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two of these things are not at all like the others and it's hilarious that you can't see that.

I see what you are trying to do, and it's cool. I understand.

I also understand that generalizing any group of people is fucking stupid and makes you a bigot. People lumping folks into a group and labeling them as enemies is part of the problem in the United States and across the world. You got people treating democrats or republicans as blood enemies, people bombing news rooms because they think all press is evil. This shit needs to come to an end, it's spreading not getting better. And lumping all police into a group and labelling them as something you hate is no better than the behavior you are sitting here trying to decry. You won't change my mind on this. Hate never makes anything better.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
And lumping all police into a group and labelling them as something you hate is no better than the behavior you are sitting here trying to decry.

I can say with 100% certainty that this is a false equivalence as I am not engaging in targeted violence or harassment against the police

and also it's weird that people have criticized me for drive-by posting or trolling despite the fact that I've taken a few posts to actually clarify my statements

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility / mod-whining
Just put him on ignore people, he apparently forgot his meds before vomiting a couple dozen posts in this thread. Replying to him will only keep him posting more nonsense. If the mods are going to continue to let this clown derail the thread that's your only recourse.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can say with 100% certainty that this is a false equivalence as I am not engaging in targeted violence or harassment against the police

and also it's weird that people have criticized me for drive-by posting or trolling despite the fact that I've taken a few posts to actually clarify my statements
I don't think you're drive-by posting. I think you're shitposting.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

"Clarify". Lol. Anyone who frames a dumb statement as needing to be "clarified" aren't actually sorry about making said statement. If you were, you would edit it and not be doubling down like you are.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Ubisoft does an awful lot of subcontracting to get those big environments open world games made , sooo whoever put that here will probably be hard to track down and I wouldn't be too too surprised that the best they can achieve on their side is find which subcontracting studio it came from but not who exactly it came from .

Let's all hope that this person gets shown the door ...

Oct 31, 2017
I know. It's trying to call cops bad by using derogatory language for gay people. Hell, even calling cops pigs upsets me because even pigs don't deserve to be compared to cops
I'll pass the news along to my police officer father and grandfather. I'm sure they'd love to know the fair minded respect they brought to their position and community while saving lives and putting clothes on my back and food on our kitchen table was worse than a pig digging in the mud. Hopefully those pieces of shit can die with all the other cops in the world and we can hurry towards a Mad Max style society where you'd be the first victim of some roving gang.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, let's cancel cops, that will work out great for all of us.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"Clarify". Lol. Anyone who frames a dumb statement as needing to be "clarified" aren't actually sorry about making said statement. If you were, you would edit it and not be doubling down like you are.

I mean, I'm not sorry about what I said. My apology was that it was perhaps a bit too terse for some people to understand the context behind it.
But fine. One more time. We needed to have this discussion on another page after all.

- This image is bad because, while I agree that it is good to denigrate the cops, doing so by the use of gay slurs has a rotten knock-on effect because it relies on the audience agreeing that being gay is bad.
- Being gay is not bad. Being gay is cool in my book. This probably shouldn't need to be said and I felt it was an obvious statement that basically every single person with a posting history on this website would agree with.
- Aside from being flawed in its relation to the whole being gay thing, it's doubly-compounding the fact that the marginalization of gay people historically, especially in America where the game is set, has been enabled with support from police forces.
- While there are gay cops out there, there are also gay racists, gay transphobes, etc. The problem with these people is not that they are gay. The problem with them is the other behavior that they engage in -- being a cop, promoting transphobia, etc. Again, this strikes me as a rather elementary statement and one that I had no need to state, for surely we would all agree on a progressive forum like this that there is nothing wrong with being gay.
- Again, major watershed moments in gay history in America, the country where this game is set, involve opposition to police harassment, often with physical force. The Stonewall riots in particular represent a major example of this, but there is also the ACT UP movement, which was explicitly a mass mobilization of protests against the lack of action taken by the Reagan administration during the AIDS crisis, a moment in time that people often regard as an act of genocide against gay communities.
- While it is a good thing that this image was removed, it is absolutely infuriating that nobody ever gave the graphic design enough of a considered look-over that they were pro-active about it. This is just one of many moments in the game's history in which tone-deaf content was used while denying any sort of connection to real political motivation.
- This is an issue related to a lot of these Tom Clancy games, which often tap into xenophobic or right-wing authoritarian movements to make their point. Ubisoft's general marketing has been pretty lukewarm about what the actual topic of this game is, and have tried to deny that this game, set in Washington, D.C., which is the capital of the country of America, which is where this game is set, and thus where the federal government does its business, set in a period in time in which social unrest has caused the federal government to no longer be able to do its business, has any political themes or commentary whatsoever.
- For all that I might appreciate characters like Captain Hold from Brooklyn 99, that show is a work of fiction and does not at all represent the majority of municipal police forces in America, the country where this game is set.

Sep 3, 2018
I see what you are trying to do, and it's cool. I understand.
You don't. Suggesting that hating someone for being republican or a cop (things they chose to be) is the same as hating someone for being black or gay (things no one chooses to be) ignores all context for why hating people in the latter camp is offensive.

I'm not surprised you wouldn't change your mind on it, but seeing as how I'm both of the things in the latter camp, I'd be remiss if I say something.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm not sorry about what I said. My apology was that it was perhaps a bit too terse for some people to understand the context behind it.
But fine. One more time. We needed to have this discussion on another page after all.

snip
I'm not disagreeing with anything you stated here, but the original image wasn't, AFAIK, trying to draw a direct correlation between queer people and police officers being one and the same. It strikes me as being an extremely tasteless visual gag that some prick thought would be funny to sneak into the game proper.

It's also worth noting, however, that SHD Agents in these games are basically supercops, operating above the law and reporting directly to the President. Everything they say and do is condoned by the President, and they operate in the name of "restoring America". The question to ask then is, is America really worth being restored by an authoritarian force of supercops? The America that denigrates and marginalizes queer people, people of color, women, and so on? You work with a range of people from diverse backgrounds, from queer physicians to ex-military women of color, but nobody ever seems to bring up the kind of shit they faced in the US before the Green Poison outbreak, and most everyone you meet on the side of "good" seems pretty eager to get things back to normal after all the "bad" guys are dealt with (with violence, because again, TC property).
Some people might just want to do good in the world?

Not everyone who becomes a cop have premeditated sinister plans of hatred going in.
Cops serve a system that exists to oppress already-marginalized groups and keep them in line, typically through intimidation and violence. Even "good" cops who want to help people are inadvertently assisting in enabling and maintaining this system of fear and oppression.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
WTF is going on in this thread? I thought this was about slurs and not cops and now everyone is saying F the police and whatnot...

All I got to say to the OP is idk how people find this stuff and if it offends someone great on ubisoft for fixing it.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I was curious, so I did some math.

Assuming that each letter and number could have been equally picked, the chance of this being a coincidence are 0.0000000004%, and that's if you also say that the code had to have exactly that many digits for some reason.

Just for what it's worth, I don't think this is quite right. The correct question is not "what is the chance that a random sequence of numbers would spell this slur" but "what is the chance that a random sequence of numbers would spell any offensive slur." There are a lot of offensive slurs out there.

Relevant reading here is the birthday paradox—if you get 27 people in a room, there is a 50/50 chance that some of them will have the same birthday.

...that said, even increasing the possibility by several orders of magnitude would still put this in "not an accident" territory, so, uh... it wasn't an accident.

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
- While there are gay cops out there, there are also gay racists, gay transphobes, etc. The problem with these people is not that they are gay. The problem with them is the other behavior that they engage in -- being a cop, promoting transphobia, etc. Again, this strikes me as a rather elementary statement and one that I had no need to state, for surely we would all agree on a progressive forum like this that there is nothing wrong with being gay.

I feel like your main "problem", if anything, was overestimating how "progressive" Era is. Like I'm fully aware and sympathetic to your hostility towards cops (I'm on the spectrum, I genuinely try to avoid them where possible), but it never really struck me that this was a forum where you'd be able to just randomly say "fuck the police" without explaining the full context bc unless you're relatively well-informed and/or a minority with personal experience to draw on, it probably seems like an absurd statement on its face. I'm not trying to tone police you or anything, for the record, I'm just not surprised that this escalated so hard.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The blame for this should rest with the individual artist who created this asset. There is no way Ubisoft could be expected to catch that, given how tiny it is and how its not immediately obvious that its a slur. Credit to Ubi for getting rid of it as soon as it came to their attention.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I feel like your main "problem", if anything, was overestimating how "progressive" Era is. Like I'm fully aware and sympathetic to your hostility towards cops (I'm on the spectrum, I genuinely try to avoid them where possible), but it never really struck me that this was a forum where you'd be able to just randomly say "fuck the police" without explaining the full context bc unless you're relatively well-informed and/or a minority with personal experience to draw on, it probably seems like an absurd statement on its face. I'm not trying to tone police you or anything, for the record, I'm just not surprised that this escalated so hard.

Lol, now anyone who doesn't agree with broad generalizations isn't progressive. You have that shit backwards, guy.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- This image is bad because, while I agree that it is good to denigrate the cops, doing so by the use of gay slurs has a rotten knock-on effect because it relies on the audience agreeing that being gay is bad.
- Being gay is not bad. Being gay is cool in my book. This probably shouldn't need to be said and I felt it was an obvious statement that basically every single person with a posting history on this website would agree with.
- Aside from being flawed in its relation to the whole being gay thing, it's doubly-compounding the fact that the marginalization of gay people historically, especially in America where the game is set, has been enabled with support from police forces.
- Again, major watershed moments in gay history in America, the country where this game is set, involve opposition to police harassment, often with physical force. The Stonewall riots in particular represent a major example of this, but there is also the ACT UP movement, which was explicitly a mass mobilization of protests against the lack of action taken by the Reagan administration during the AIDS crisis, a moment in time that people often regard as an act of genocide against gay communities.
- While it is a good thing that this image was removed, it is absolutely infuriating that nobody ever gave the graphic design enough of a considered look-over that they were pro-active about it. This is just one of many moments in the game's history in which tone-deaf content was used while denying any sort of connection to real political motivation.
- This is an issue related to a lot of these Tom Clancy games, which often tap into xenophobic or right-wing authoritarian movements to make their point. Ubisoft's general marketing has been pretty lukewarm about what the actual topic of this game is, and have tried to deny that this game, set in Washington, D.C., which is the capital of the country of America, which is where this game is set, and thus where the federal government does its business, set in a period in time in which social unrest has caused the federal government to no longer be able to do its business, has any political themes or commentary whatsoever.
- For all that I might appreciate characters like Captain Hold from Brooklyn 99, that show is a work of fiction and does not at all represent the majority of municipal police forces in America, the country where this game is set.

It's hilarious to me how this went from gays are cool, but gays can also be racists, transphobes or cops. As if being a cop is inherently awful like the other 2.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Based on the enlightening replies to my comments I have determined it is code, and it is code for this:

You're posting unhinged comments that have nothing to do with the art that was removed. You're going off on tangents that have nothing to do with the game or the art. Every comment calling you out is right to do so.

Someone slipped in an Easter egg that is attacking cops and gay people. That's wrong and Ubisoft rightfully removed it when they caught it.

By your own admission you haven't even played the game or are familiar with the game outside of some of its marketing but you are going off on long rants about a game you've never played that have nothing to do with the OP.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Lol, now anyone who doesn't agree with broad generalizations isn't progressive. You have that shit backwards, guy.

That's not exactly what I meant. What I was trying to say was that if you are generally well-informed about the broad structural issues with law enforcement and the associated human cost that comes with it, you probably wouldn't think a statement being broadly hostile towards cops sounds that ridiculous even if you don't 100% agree with how they worded it, because you know why they said it.

Personally I try to be somewhat specific when talking about these things because I find that if I don't, I usually have to keep explaining myself over and over. Which is exactly what happened here. But I also have the privilege of a relatively sheltered life and being a white-passing cis person, so I didn't really have to deal with being afraid of the police for most of my life. A lot of minority people don't have that luxury.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Some people might just want to do good in the world?

Not everyone who becomes a cop have premeditated sinister plans of hatred going in.

Nah, class traitors with a long institutional history of dehumanization and violence while expecting bootlickers to thank them. Anyone wanting to joining that shitshow is free to do so, but I can't fuck with you anymore

I'll pass that onto my brother and his girlfriend (two amazing individuals). Thanks for the kind words.

You can also share my feeling with them if you want

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You asked « why the color orange » I gave you an answer

I asked no such thing, and your answer explains and justifies nothing.

90f.png

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Nah, class traitors with a long institutional history of dehumanization and violence while expecting bootlickers to thank them. Anyone wanting to joining that shitshow is free to do so, but I can't fuck with you anymore

Genuine question, what does someone like this do in a situation where most people would automatically turn to the police?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Why the fuck would anyone I know care about the opinion of an anonymous message board person?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I think one garbage person's opinion is enough for one night. Thanks, though.

"I saw someone say Fuck Cops on the Internet today..." is probably going to bring them to their knees, probably wise to avoid adding any more context to anti-cop sentiment.

Why the fuck would anyone I know care about the opinion of an anonymous message board person?

I wasn't talking to you?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
"I saw someone say Fuck Cops on the Internet today..." is probably going to bring them to their knees, probably wise to avoid adding any more context to anti-cop sentiment.
Nah. I'm sure they get it a lot. No need to introduce more hate into their lives is all.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
They generally don't, because they don't really expect that the police will help them anyways.

Yep. Hell, some of them do and just get ignored. Cops here have totally ignored what is now a high-profile child sex abuse case and immediately discarded potential evidence. Internal oversight committees, unsurprisingly, did not believe that the cops acted outside of accordance with organizational practices.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
What choice do we have? Some people of color even risk their lives calling the police, how do you deal with that?
Naturally things are probably pretty different over here in the UK, but speaking anecdotally there are times when I've felt like if I hadn't called the police, things would have escalated and worsened considerably. I'm not sure I understand your reply fully, though. Do you still make use of the police if you feel they'd be able to help a situation, or do you just avoid involving them in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.