• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For the unaware, Ubisoft+ is Ubisoft's subscription service on PC with allows players to play all Ubisoft games, including brand new releases and post launch content, at $15/month. According to a Reddit user on the /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours subreddit Ubisoft send out a survey recently asking players if they would be interested in 3 possible tiers: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...ubisoft_new_subscription_tiers_from_a_survey/
  • Ubisoft+ Classic: Access to all games which released 18 months ago or before, includes post launch content. Would cost $9 a month
  • Ubisoft+ Lite: Access to all games which released 18 months ago or before. Would cost $5 a month
  • Ubisoft+ Basic: Access to all games which released 12 months ago or before. Would cost $7 a month
qRsx3iN.jpeg

BCfn4YJ.jpeg

mSy22r3.jpeg

While personally I think such tiers could be interesting to some people I feel like Ubisoft games drop in price so fast that by the time they would become available through one of these new tiers you could have already bought them for $20 or less, which at least for me would kinda defeat of such tiers. It would obviously also be nice in general if Ubisoft+ came to consoles.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The $9 tier has less games than the $7 tier does? What the hell?

I feel like Ubi is dramatically overvaluing their DLC/seasonal shit with these tiers

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ubisoft is famous for those bloody spreadsheets to work out what comes with each version of a game, so it makes sense they'd introduce the same thing for their subscription service.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this kind of aligns with the rumors of Ubisoft+ being rolled into Game Pass similar to EA, albeit a lesser subscription tier

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

I feel like Ubi is dramatically overvaluing their DLC/seasonal shit with these tiers

The 9 tier includes all post launch DLCs. But I don't think they will have 3 tiers, I think they are just gauging interest to see which one people prefer more.

The basic one makes sense to me here for the price / value.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Roll it into Game Pass Ultimate and I'll be interested but I'm not about to subscribe to another "all you can eat" game service given the amount of content I have access to through Game Pass.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The 9 tier includes all post launch DLCs. But I don't think they will have 3 tiers, I think they are just gauging interest to see which one people prefer more.

The basic one makes sense to me here for the price / value.

Right, yeah, I get that. That's what I mean by saying I think they're overvaluing their DLC in that plan. The basic plan definitely seems the most reasonable.
Some of the DLC is really good like in the AC games

But it's DLC that is 18 months old minimum. $36 (aka the $2 price difference across 18 months) would buy most of that DLC at that point anyway.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Perhaps they should explore how to stop sexual harassment within their company.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

This is just them seeing what people might be interested in and if they introduce a new tier I doubt you'll see more than 1. Could even be a combination of the mentioned tiers.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, yeah, I get that. That's what I mean by saying I think they're overvaluing their DLC in that plan. The basic plan definitely seems the most reasonable.

But it's DLC that is 18 months old minimum. $36 (aka the $2 price difference across 18 months) would buy most of that DLC at that point anyway.
That's a good point, after 18 months you can usually get a gold edition for <$20 of any Ubisoft game pretty easily

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Good point. But I guess they maybe don't see a way of adding Gold / Ultimate edition of games to the other tiers as a hard rule. No idea. 🤷‍♂️

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is a very good idea with a basic tier if they got it onto consoles. Would be a good compliment to something like GP or PS Now, which do lack in Ubisoft games.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the size and width of the catalogue. Latest public numbers for EA Play is that it has 13 million subscribers. :)
I mostly play Plants VS Zombies (the oldest) on the included EA - part in game pass for xbox, but I did download a few games to try. If I liked Sports and Star Wars I would love EA games I think :)

I've found pretty good value in paying a month and playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla. £13 for the Ultimate Edition for the month is a lot cheaper than £100 to own it.
Oh, I can see that being a great value. Ok, I get your point :)

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not surprised if its gonna be a thing, especially if its used by ubisoft to put uplay+ on gamepass or come back to STEAM with a lower tier subscription.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Just got this survey, I'd be in for the $7 tier. $9/month is too much for 1.5 year old games, when for $15 you can get access to everything.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Oh, I can see that being a great value. Ok, I get your point :)

Don't get me wrong, multiple months start to get a bit pricey, especially considering how quickly their games get discounted. Valhalla's 25% off right now, 6 months after release! And that was a big hit. I picked up Ghost Recon: Breakpoint for £18 6 weeks after release, though that was a huge bomb.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
New tiers is good but like you already pointed out, so many Ubisoft games drop to $20 within a couple months from launch so having an 18 month lag makes no sense. I just wish they'd charge something more reasonable like $8-10 for what Ubisoft+ is now. At $15, they're the exact same as GamePass Ultimate which is Gold + GamePass on console, pc, and mobile and GamePass far outstrips their library.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is only going to fuel the fire on the rumors of Uplay+ coming to Game Pass which started from that one fake insider...

Does anyone in the world have Ubisoft+?
There's someone in this thread that said she uses it, so presumably yes. I also have to imagine that these cheaper tiers are to get more subs as well because they probably don't have that many yet

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's not a pricing issue. People just don't want to sub if it's Uplay only In one place I would wager. I actually doubt the new prices would move the needle much, especially with how quickly Their games go down in price.

They should be looking into getting it on consoles like EA Play.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
DLC is not enough to make up for the delay in titles hitting that tier... and also DLC is pretty cheap, so usually you could just buy the DLC if you're really into the game like you would on Game Pass. The Basic tier seems the smartest?

I get that these are all spitballing. Two tiers would be ideal. Basic and premium experiences, etc.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i think they are doing a low tier so they can add it to game pass and get that sweet ms moneybag like ea did last year

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think they'll add tiers to Gamepass at some point to, it'll be interesting to see how these subscriptions develop over the next few years.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
DLC is not enough to make up for the delay in titles hitting that tier... and also DLC is pretty cheap, so usually you could just buy the DLC if you're really into the game like you would on Game Pass. The Basic tier seems the smartest?

I get that these are all spitballing. Two tiers would be ideal. Basic and premium experiences, etc.

I agree that they should go with a basic tier to cash in on any microtransactions and DLC a la game pass (I.e. increase user engagement and purchases by giving them a taste of the base game and have them come back for more). Just do two tiers like EA; a Basic and Pro version (Ubisoft+ as it is now) with Pro being exclusive to the Ubisoft launcher on PC.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the lite tier being added to gamepass. Both ea and Ubisoft will benefit by then promoting their premium tiers at a discounted rate etc....

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
These price tiers might be attractive In a world without Game Pass, but not as it is now there is not a chance I would pay $9/month for 18-month old games (and older).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I won't even bother with that stuff because Ubisoft games are probably the cheapest AAA games you can buy. They are on sale all the time and then there are the 10€ coupons at Epic.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have enough of a interesting portfolio to deserve any kind of sub, tbh.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Multi decade industry jounalists who do this stuff for a living (and posters living on this board) don't understand and frequently confuse EA's 2 tier service, this adds several new layers of convolution. God help the layman who winds up on Uplay.com trying to subscribe to the Ass Creed service they heard about.