• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Today, Ubisoft® announced exceptional player activity for Assassin's Creed® Valhalla, the latest iteration of the Assassin's Creed franchise, released on November 10. The number of active players on launch day for Assassin's Creed Valhalla doubled that of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, a trend that is expected to continue as sales of the new generation of consoles increase.

A testament to Assassin's Creed Valhalla delivering on players' expectations for its fascinating world and immersive narrative, the game has reached high levels of viewership and engagement on Twitch and YouTube that surpass any Ubisoft game launch to date.

"We are humbled by the reception from the players and extremely proud of what our teams have accomplished with Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which builds on the amazing success of its predecessors," said Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft co-founder and CEO.

"In the context of COVID-19, shipping Assassin's Creed Valhalla on no less than seven platforms is an incredible achievement for all of the teams involved around the world. We are excited to greet players on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 with a game that unleashes the power of the new hardware. This paves the way for an exciting holiday, with Assassin's Creed Valhalla set to be one of this season's biggest hits."

And PS5 version still coming.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's on almost a dozen platforms, but that's not why it's got this dramatic jump. Odyssey was legendary.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
It's on a bunch of platforms, including a launch game for new consoles, in the midst of COVID. I'm glad it did well though. I've always had a place in my heart for AC.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
X/S isn't going to be a big factor in doubling the amount of players.

I'm sure many people who buy a console on day one are the enthusiasts who are upgrading from a previous gen console.

God, black flag was absolutely an amazing crossgen title. Fantastic characters and story. I love kenway and that game had one of the greatest and heartfelt endings to an assassins creed game period.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Started playing it on Series X yesterday, I'm very very pleased by my first play session, could almost deal with the woman's name for the male protag as well, didn't sounds as wrong in english "Ay-War!", can't wait to jump in again tonight!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X/S isn't going to be a big factor in doubling the amount of players.

I'm sure many people who buy a console on day one are the enthusiasts who are upgrading from a previous gen console.
Right, but there's a difference between an AC game coming out on an xbox one X, and AC being "THE" game for your brand spanking new series X.

It's one of the strongest titles on both systems, which helps both new buyers as well as word of mouth for everyone that isn't getting one.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Uplay Plus could be a driver too. No AC game launched day one on the service before. Though I expect this game to sell well.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Sales and number of players isn't the same. Regardless of it was always going to do well since it's the 3rdParty system launch game and on every non-Nintendo Plattform.

Both Origins and Odyssey sold over 10 mil, with Odyssesy outperforming Origins, so it could be in the realm of 20 mil sold.

The downplay about this series' popularity continues to amuse me. It's performing well due to many factors, but the main one being is simply because it's Assassin's Creed.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Both Origins and Odyssey sold over 10 mil, with Odyssesy outperforming Origins, so it could be in the realm of 20 mil sold.

The downplay about this series' popularity continues to amuse me. It's performing well due to many factors, but the main one being is simply because it's Assassin's Creed.
There is no downplaying - numbers of players and sales are still two different things.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Okay cool more money for ya. But now invest that shit into some games that don't center around white people.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see the trajectory.

Unity launches somewhat as a fiasco, players take it out on Syndicate by ignoring it, even though it's fine.

After taking a year off, Origins has to build up a reputation back up for the franchise. Makes a solid splash as a Witcher clone. Odyssey comes out a year later building on the success of Origins and makes enough improvements to reach its own high status.

Banking on the rep of Odyssey and Origin, players buy Valhalla in droves. Valhalla's way more buggy and broken than the other two were at launch (Not to say they were bug free). What will happen next?!

Straw narrative for sure, but that's how it seems to me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see the trajectory.

Unity launches somewhat as a fiasco, players take it out on Syndicate by ignoring it, even though it's fine.

After taking a year off, Origins has to build up a reputation back up for the franchise. Makes a solid splash as a Witcher clone. Odyssey comes out a year later building on the success of Origins and makes enough improvements to reach its own high status.

Banking on the rep of Odyssey and Origin, players buy Valhalla in droves. Valhalla's way more buggy and broken than the other two were at launch (Not to say they were bug free). What will happen next?!

Straw narrative for sure, but that's how it seems to me.
Valhalla doesn't seem particularly broken? some expected open world bugginess but I wouldn't say it has seemed any worse than the previous two anecdotally on the internet. I feel like Unity has irreparably harmed the perception of these games when it comes to stability.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Valhalla doesn't seem particularly broken? some expected open world bugginess but I wouldn't say it has seemed any worse than the previous two anecdotally on the internet. I feel like Unity has irreparably harmed the perception of these games when it comes to stability.
It absolutely is. Many players can't even make progress in the main story. To me it's not worth playing in its current state.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017

I played both Origins and Odyssey at launch, platinumed them both. Unfortunately, 2 hours into Valhalla on PS4 Pro it's buggy enough that I am putting it down until it's patched, to a degree neither of the other games were. I loved what I played, but it was nearly unplayable at times. Of course that's a single data point and not everyone experiences the same bugs or are bothered by the same things. I do wonder how much it has to do with the final 8 months of development being impacted by COVID?

Here's a short recording of some of what I experienced:

Great to see player numbers are strong. I look forward to what this series can accomplish when it has a chance to focus on the new platforms.

Last edited:

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey had the biggest AC launch sales in this generation, Valhalla should be even more successful then

Oct 27, 2017
The screen tearing is awful too a lot of the time, its like being in the early 2000's again

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it's a next gen launch game. I would not have bought it if the Xbox had some more interesting games at launch.

Oct 30, 2017
So happy to see one of the best franchise IMO doing so well, they have been killing it since Origins through Odyssey and now Valhala.

Well done Ubi amazing job truly.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Every person that I know with Series X/S is getting the console with Valhalla + Game Pass. No suprise.
Yakuza deserves more love.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
For me (and with the caveat I'm only 8 hours in) this is the one which finally rubs shoulders with Witcher 3. It's been a fantastic time so far and pretty refreshing compared to relatively small jump between Origins/Odyssey (both of which were still pretty decent)

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I hope they quickly fix its HDR implementation (it needs unlocked Brightness/Contrast controls also in HDR and a Paper White slider as Origins/Odyssey had) and tearing issues on Series X then.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Note that they said players not sales. Combined with their expectations that sales will grow with next-gen my guess that it didn't do better than Odyssey in sales. At least on platforms where Ubisoft+ or whatever is called now is available.

emmastone

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 28, 2020
Not that hard, Ubisoft.
Consoles have upgrades to next-gen so people buy it, plus it was given away with AMD hardware on PC.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I'm on a couple of hours into it, but it's feeling really good so far. It will be interesting to see if the monotony of previous AC games kicks in.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never even heard of Odyssey until long after launch. Odyssey got lost in the shadow of Origins. They pump out far too many of these assassins creed games.

I guess Valhalla is different enough looking/feeling that it stands out, and it's riding the next-gen hype, which helps.

But I fully expect another Assassins Creed game with a year or so that gets forgotten too, because for every Rockstar game that comes out these people try to sell you 17 different open world games.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
The viking setting is pretty popular nowadays so I guess that was a major contributor.