• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of days ago, we informed you about a Assassin's Creed Origins rumour, suggesting that its protection system was causing performance issues. As it we reported, Ubisoft has used VMProtect over Denuvo, resulting in a lot of additional calls. However, Ubisoft claims that the game's protection system does not have any perceptible effect on its performance.

As Ubisoft told Gearnuke:

"We're confirming that the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin's Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance."

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubiso...rotection-not-perceptible-effect-performance/

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every DRM ever released has caused people to blame the game's poor performance on the DRM. This is just the way people think. It will always be this way.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Well, if you do it right you will put that overhead into functionality which is not on a hot path, and then there really shouldn't be a perceptible performance impact.
We'll see whether they did it right once it gets cracked, but I see no reason to assume they didn't. I mean, Ubisoft has enough people on AC to have an entire team just figure out how to integrate the DRM :P

In my opinion, the fundamental problems with DRM have nothing to do with performance.

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that they have two layers of DRM, and they likely added the VM DRM later in development as confidence in Denuvo wained.
I can see how some of this got slapped together with little oversight.

Does it introduce enough CPU calls and inefficiencies to have a blip on performance beyond negligible? Curious to see the conclusions drawn from when the game is inevitably cracked.

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
In my case i don't feel there is a perceptible overhead and here is my config:

R5 1600@3,8GHz
GTX 1070
32Gb DDR4 Ram

It runs the game between 50 & 80fps in Ultra, the GPU is used between 10-15% and the cores of the CPU between 50 & 70% (according the ingame report tool using F1).

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, we just have to take their word for it. Because -

1 The game is probably not crack-able.
2 Even if it does get cracked, I dont think the DRM gets disabled. Only bypassed.

So you either believe Ubi or dont.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Does it introduce enough CPU calls and inefficiencies to have a blip on performance beyond negligible? Curious to see the conclusions drawn from when the game is inevitably cracked.

The crack will most likely be a bypass. Both the VMProtect and Denuvo will still run in the background so yeah, I don't think the pirated version will run better. The only ones who can remove Denuvo (so we can get a proper before after scenario) is Ubisoft.

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
The crack will most likely be a bypass. Both the VMProtect and Denuvo will still run in the background so yeah, I don't think the pirated version will run better. The only ones who can remove Denuvo (so we can get a proper before after scenario) is Ubisoft.

I never deal with this side of the industry so I wasn't aware.

Interesting to know that's how it works, I always assumed that it disabled the underlying DRM. Though this is much more plausible considering how deep DRM can go.

This is a really interesting video about how Securom interfaces with the game code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9U5wK_boYM

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you do it right you will put that overhead into functionality which is not on a hot path, and then there really shouldn't be a perceptible performance impact.
We'll see whether they did it right once it gets cracked, but I see no reason to assume they didn't. I mean, Ubisoft has enough people on AC to have an entire team just figure out how to integrate the DRM :P

In my opinion, the fundamental problems with DRM have nothing to do with performance.
So basically the optimization is not the best in ACO? AGAIN...

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately a bypass doesn't remove the DRM so there's no way to know whether they're full of shit or not but how do they explain the 50% CPU utilization on the main menu?

Once again, a game I fully intended on buying for $60 that I no longer will because they're using a ticking time bomb for DRM. It'd be one thing if they removed it after a period of time but they haven't bothered to patch it out of games that have been bypassed for 2-3 years now, meaning it has no benefit to the publisher and it's a serious threat to the longevity of their users' purchases.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
So basically the optimization is not the best in ACO? AGAIN...
I wouldn't say that. I have no idea how good the optimization is -- I am however impressed at how well the game scales in terms of core parallelism.
(Computerbase found that it scales up to 24 hardware threads)
ac_o_cpufwkqm.png