• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Via GameInformer

the-division-2-file-size.original.jpg
Ubisoft is no stranger to games with political backdrops. Recent games like Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Far Cry 5, and The Division 2 all draw from history and current events. However, the company has in the past stated its games aren't political, a statement Yves Guillemot recently clarified by saying they want players to come to their own conclusions about whatever topics their games depict. Today the company released an interview VP of editorial Tommy Francois diving a bit deeper on this topic, outlining why the company doesn't want to take hardline stances.

"We believe that games should offer a 360-degree view of life, should let people interact with all points of view," Francois said. "If my game was set during the Vietnam conflict, for example, we would want the Viet Minh, the Viet Cong ... basically everyone's point of view. And that relates back to people making up their own opinions and our ability to create more mature games that are nuanced, versus being black or white."

The goal is to open players up to different viewpoints, but also let them take away from their games what they want. "If people want to have fun and don't want to engage with some of these systems, I'm cool with it, too," Francois says. "People who just want to have fun, and not be exposed to these points of view, or experience it on a deeper level should be able to do what they want."

However, Francois does acknowledge that this attempted objectivity could lead to players walking away sympathetic to certain negative aspects of the scenarios in Ubisoft games, or enticed by them. If someone were to become infatuated with the idea of joining a cult after playing Far Cry 5, for example, Francois says he'd hate to have that happen. "I seriously hope we never have this impact, and that we don't make someone think a cult is a great place to go," he says.

Full interview at the link above

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can make a point while doing justice to all viewpoints (which entails acknowledging that some/most/all viewpoints are flawed in certain ways but usually right in some others), but that sort of nuance and backbone seems to be lost on Ubisoft's writing and direction staff.

God I hope they don't try to write a game about Nazis.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
"Because our shareholders would throw a bitchfit if we did."

Anything else is PR BS. Including this interview's reasoning.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than pointing to this limited section from Game Informer's site, you should like to the actual full interview, which is Ubisoft posted on their own website.

I'm still reading it so I'm not going to excerpt too much. But they're definitely aware of what they're doing.

In essence then, we're creating these real-world-influenced sandboxes, and we're trying to fill them with things that will create these rich experiences. Then is the real question, or the danger, that we could be creating sympathy towards things we know aren't necessarily the best things about society and the real world within these sandboxes?

TF:
Yes, we could. And some people will be scared by that. We build worlds that are grounded in reality. We do take liberties because we need to make things different and fun. Maybe it's harder to see, but it still applies to fantasy and sci-fi. Those still are reflecting themes from society. Star Wars is touching on fascism. Harry Potter is touching on education, puberty, and other moments in life. I'm extremely adamant about not simply accepting preconceived ideas. Instead of being scared, know your enemy, or learn more about something that you think you don't like. I think that video games can help with that. They can talk to things in real life. They can make us better people.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy it at all. These games are inherently political and this apolitical schpiel is just nonsense and the overall stance is pure cowardice. Most of all, it seems to wildly exaggerate the depth of the story/lore/worldbuilding in Ubisoft's games. I wonder how much of it is trying to avoid the kinds of backlash that, for example, DICE experienced for daring to put a woman front of centre of a trailer for a WWII game.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Because our shareholders would throw a bitchfit if we did."

Anything else is PR BS. Including this interview's reasoning.
We all know they know that their I-just-wanna-shootybang audience wouldn't enjoy playing a game that, god forbid, might actually try to criticise especially western and American viewpoints

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no right way to spin this kind of talk. It's impossible. Stop.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
IMO depicting things realistically, as they are, usually speaks for itself. So I can get behind this.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft exec talks about one of the reasons why I've grown to dislike the company's games and will think twice before buying one

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather than pointing to this limited section from Game Informer's site, you should like to the actual full interview, which is Ubisoft posted on their own website.

I'm still reading it so I'm not going to excerpt too much. But they're definitely aware of what they're doing.
They'd have a point if, y'know, Star Wars actively had subtext that supports fascism and SW's creators went "gee we just hope it won't actually inspire people to feel sympathy for fascism"

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I find it laughable that this exec insists that Ubi games try to portray things with nuance when it's two major franchises (Far Cry & Assassin's Creed) regularly involve antagonists that are painted as unambiguously evil or bad. The same could be said for other Ubisoft franchises (such as Watch Dogs or Ghost Recon)

Also, the fact that they've included mostly positive portrayals of LGBT characters shows that Ubisoft clearly has a political stance in its games.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What really irks me about Ubisoft of all companies pretending they're apolitical is just how safe their political messages are. Drone warfare is a bit scary. America are the good guys. Those drug cartels look crazy, ya'll. So controversial!

Even that example Francois gives is milquetoast. A Vietnam setting that acknowledges the damage the West did? In 2019? So daring!

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that is reasonable stance. Just exploring and showing different concepts and not being like these are the good guys and those the bad guys and now vote for the good guys in your elections. Not to mention the if their position was anything else than the most leftist, they would just get shit upon esp. Here on era.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What a load of hot nonsense.

"We want everyone to see all sides... but if some people see that side and take it seriously, oh my, we don't want that!"

Shut the fuck up and own that you just don't want to affect sales by claiming to say anything about anything. Cowards.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you want to attempt making the claim about not being political with your products, what the hell are you making "Tom Clancy" branded games for

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot words that say absolutely nothing of value and are also contradicted by their own games.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather just "no comment" instead of this word vomit.

We all know why your gun and military obsessed properties don't lean hard in any particular direction, Yves. Cut this out.

Now excuse me while i go pre-order Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and wait patiently for a Clint Hocking directed Watch Dogs 3 reveal.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I think that is reasonable stance. Just exploring and showing different concepts and not being like these are the good guys and those the bad guys and now vote for the good guys in your elections. Not to mention the if their position was anything else than the most leftist, they would just get shit upon esp. Here on era.

Exploring concepts and showing different sides is all well and good, but it seems like they're not willing to acknowledge that the entire act of "showing" a side, explaining a concept, etc., is still inherently political and biased.

Like in the notion about "Oh, we'd want to have the Viet Minh, Viet Cong, and so on" fails to address that in that situation, how would you decide what positions of those groups to show, or how they get shown? Would they hire people from those places and with expertise in the ideas and philosophies of those groups to put them in the game? What about how biased those people might also be?

It just reads like (as many already say) a way to not advocate for anything in particular and shy away from say, anything that might offend potential buyers who believe in, shall we say, less than ideal political philosophies/ideas.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad every time I play a Ubisoft game they have a disclaimer about how the game was made by people from all walks of life, sexual orientations and gender identities. The reason I say it's too bad is because apparently that is a political stance in 2019 when it should just be a "duh" moment. I absolutely hate the both sides nonsense, with The Division franchise it's clear what they're going for. With Tom effin Clancy, the king of neoconservatives, being on the title of some of their biggest franchises, it's clear what they're going for.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why this keeps coming up. Their games are not at all well rounded and they absolutley do take certain political stances. It's so weird that this drum keeps beating.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

Lol they never do this

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I remember Division 1 where your completely unrestrained militarized police force murders a bunch of escaped prisoners after one black woman gives a speech about law enforcement violence and the lack of social value placed on their lives. The one who gives the speech has a high chance of dropping legendaries.

Thank you, Ubi, for bringing us this attempted objectivity. It truly broadened my horizons.

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
No one:
Ubisoft: Nazis and fascists might have a point. Who's to say? Btw nazis and fascists please buy our product.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
This 100%, now if only they actually did the exploring part.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
These assholes are going to compare themselves with Zola and other naturalists forgetting that Zola and co clearly took sides and weren't being cowards about it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I agree with this. At the end of the day people play games to have fun, not to be engaged in politics.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking joke Ubisoft continues to cry about how they aren't political while attaching the Tom Clancy name to games.