• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's so mature about plugging your ears and both siding very sensitive subjects. I see this as more of continuing the already established status quo of Ubisoft's games and the general AAA industry, of never taking a stance, say nothing and do nothing.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This statement is so much worse than I hoped. I'm surprised it's so brainless and spineless, given that they've had time to get it in terms that might come across more reasonably. This leaves me with mild hostility to the whole creative endeavor.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"We believe that games should offer a 360-degree view of life, should let people interact with all points of view," Francois said. "If my game was set during the Vietnam conflict, for example, we would want the Viet Minh, the Viet Cong ... basically everyone's point of view. And that relates back to people making up their own opinions and our ability to create more mature games that are nuanced, versus being black or white."

Ah yes, the Vietnam War, that popular war that's notoriously difficult to make judgments about after the fact

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Cool I can copy and paste my response from when this was brought up last (less than 30 days ago):

Here's the deal with Ubi's answers to this:

The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and presumably now Breakpoint are all stories with political elements. There are elements about war, government, corruption, morality, etc. I think what Ubisoft is getting at is while all of those elements are inherent to a Clancy game there is not some moral of the story at the end telling exactly what to take away from it. You experience the game and if you want to reflect on the questions the game raises about say the use of drones or allying yourself with a group of rebels because it benefits you in the short run, then you can reflect on them. The previous game did a great job of this-they were all plot points but it didn't give you the message "please feel this emotion now and think about this statement". Specifically Wildlands left me with thoughts about times the US government has turned a blind eye to a rebel political group in one country that didn't align with US values simply because the rebel group was fighting someone the US really did not like. It made me think and making someone think is a great thing-like a good book.

I do not believe Ubi is naive enough to think that there will not be political themes in this game. Rather, it seems that Ubi is saying it isn't using the story to dwell on these in a way that tells the player how they should feel about things. The politics are a plot device rather than some carefully laid message for the player. Lets take the original Star Wars for example-there is a lot going on there: an empire, the dissolution of a senate, genocide, a group of rebels on a suicide mission, religion...but these are all plot devices in Star Wars rather than being the message of the story. These themes are things for the viewers to think about in their own time rather than something the viewer must grapple with while they watch Luke fly his X-wing down the death star trench.

Can you not just enjoy the game, realize there are political elements to the story, and unpack those elements with your own ability to think and discern for yourself or must Ubisoft deliver some moral message to you on a silver platter? I cannot imagine being so fixated on how every piece of media relates to current affairs that I had to hear something that explicitly validates my world view while reading a novel, watching a movie, or playing a game

Again the quote in question:

"We're creating a game here, we're not trying to make political statements in our games," he says. "We've rooted ourselves in reality, and you'll get what you get out of your playthrough--everybody will get something different out of their experience. The story might make you see different situations, but we're not trying to guide anybody or to make any sorts of statements. It's a 'What if?' scenario, it's Tom Clancy, it's purely fictional."

This translates to: Our game has political elements. These are plot devices in our story. We trust our players to be capable of thinking about these plot devices for themselves. We think our players are intelligent people who might reflect back on some of these political elements when they are away from the console.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to take political stances? With a box art like the one for FC5? lol

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every time they talk about this they put their foots so far down their mouths that they can kick their own asses. I could respect it more if they just remained silent, this response is as stupid as it is intellectually insulting.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We're already this close to having a talk about forced diversity?
ERA doesn't disappoint these days!

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
then why are they putting women and minorities into their games? forced diversity to appease the SJWs & femnazis

/s

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
When you're creating media, there's no such thing as being apolitical. What Ubi is doing is in itself is a political stance, and not a good one.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
There is literally no right way to spin this kind of talk. It's impossible. Stop.
Choosing not to have a political stance in this climate is, in itself, a political stance.

These people get it.

At this point -- especially in a video game community infested with incels, neo-nazis, and all manner of other alt-right extremists -- vehemently insisting that you're not making a statement is inherently political. Their insistence on being tepid and free of any kind of viewpoint is essentially a refusal to condemn the hateful, extremist views that they know a swath of their consumers engage in. And this ain't the fucking time to be a good German.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
money has no religion
money has no caste
money has no political siding

money is money and money rules all

siding with one religion means losing money from the rest
siding with one caste means losing money from the rest
siding with one political party means losing money from the rest

as a business, they're in it to make money.
Their PR announcements should (and actively do) reflect their stance on whether or not they want to make money. Yves making any statement on political stances and whatnot is him defending his means of making money from all sides. We don't know if he actively believes in what he says, but regardless of his beliefs, he's acting as the face of a company that exists to make money.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I bet Boogie loves him some Ubisoft games. Gotta see everything from both sides.

What a milquetoast cowardly take. It's Ubisoft, king of cookie cutter games, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

So much text, here let me simplify it.
Came in here to post this.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much impossible to be apolitical while having a game and story based in reality. With sandbox games it's can be easy to ignore usually, but you're going to be making a political statement to a sizable chunk of people regardless. How big of a political disagreement something is varies with time. Lots of our political polarization in the U.S. for example is based on black and white disagreements over reality itself. Aknowleging, or not aknowleging, some simple thing may very well be making a statement that one side is right and another is wrong.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
"I seriously hope we never have this impact, and that we don't make someone think a cult is a great place to go," he says.

This is a political stance. THIS IS A POLITICAL STANCE. Boy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That's awesome. Maybe the 360 degree view of life that I gain from a totally nonpolitical Ubisoft game will convince me to become a neonazi.

It's good to be open to different viewpoints and consider all perspectives. I think equal rights for all people is a pretty good idea, but maybe I'm wrong! Maybe Ubisoft can help me see the value in sexism and racism that I hadn't even considered before!

Does Ubisoft have any Muslims on staff? Maybe I can play a Ubisoft game to figure out whether or not I should hate them.

Help me, Ubi. I'm adrift in the waters of moral ambiguity and only by considering all perspectives can I hope to discover what's right.

Last edited:

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
paraphrasing from division 2

"When the shit went down did you have a gun? Did your neighbor? Who survived?" Naaah nothing to be gleaned there

Real answer: Shareholders/ Nazis buy stuff too/ give us fucking money

Feb 24, 2018
I find it laughable that this exec insists that Ubi games try to portray things with nuance when it's two major franchises (Far Cry & Assassin's Creed) regularly involve antagonists that are painted as unambiguously evil or bad. The same could be said for other Ubisoft franchises (such as Watch Dogs or Ghost Recon)

Also, the fact that they've included mostly positive portrayals of LGBT characters shows that Ubisoft clearly has a political stance in its games.
They've actually have tried to claim their are no villains in Assassin's Creed before, something that even got pulled with the movie as stated by its director Director Justin Kurzel.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Reminds me of King Kong. People say it was symbolic of the slave trade or something while the creators say it wasn't.

Doesn't mean that interpretation is wrong, just that it wasn't intentional. Similar for this. The purpose of their games isn't to deliver some narrative or commentary on something political but if that's your takeaway, so be it.

This honestly doesn't change how you experience the game.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
If they're worried about people that don't want to engage in nuanced stories that make a point, just offer ways for people to skip cutscenes and forced story sequences in their games so they can continue to ignore things they don't want to see while doing justice for the highly political settings and scenarios they constantly set their games in (post-apocalypse DC, isolated US cult, terrorist in a random island, post-Brexit UK). It just comes off as the games writing version of centrism where they don't want to be offensive to anybody and end up not writing satisfying stories for those that want it, especially when they advertise the game to have that kind of story in it. If they want people to make decisions about what they like or don't like about the world and characters in it, then it should have choices for the player to make that changes things. As it is, you're a blank slate of a character that just does whatever they're told and doesn't really have a presence in the world.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm bit lost why Ubisoft raises this agression from people here. I don't think their games generally are problematic at all, though maybe I'm missing something. Sure the AC Odyssey DLC stuff was definitely a blunder, but atleast they adressed it and tried to fix that a bit. Their games have rather great minority and female representation (in context of AAA games atleast), not sure why we have people saying they're pandering to nazis or alt-right. Seems really stupid and come out of nowhere. Why the fuck people think Ubi games or the people at the helm would be saying "maybe nazis are right" or some shit, it's such a stretch that it hurts. The GG-types keep raging how Ubi panders to SJW:s and Era-types keep shouting how Ubi panders to nazis. It's wild.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Spin spin, babeeeeeeeeeeey.

They bought Tom Clancy's fuckin' name. Any argument they make about not wanting to be political comes solely from offending a potential demographic that would buy the game, nothing more.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You can make a point while doing justice to all viewpoints (which entails acknowledging that some/most/all viewpoints are flawed in certain ways but usually right in some others), but that sort of nuance and backbone seems to be lost on Ubisoft's writing and direction staff.

God I hope they don't try to write a game about Nazis.
Tom Clancy : Non Political Nazi's

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The more they comment on this subject the further the foot gets inserted into the mouth. Must be crammed down their throats by now.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, it's like the gaming community/industry isn't even at Critical Thinking 101. They read The Lorax and thought, "What environmental message? I only saw fun rhyming words."

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So if they made a game fighting the Nazis they'd want me to empathise with them?
The fuck is this bollocks this moron is spouting?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how UBI would've handled Red Dead Redemption 2? Because Rockstar went in on America's treatment of women, minorities and Native American's. No both sides bullshit with it. And I think it's sold better than any game that UBI's ever released.