• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is why I rarely buy AAA modern games and stick to pre-2006 games, Those games are actually fun with high replay value, no DRM and I can play them with mods in offline mode. All of that as a one-time purchase.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And this is why I rarely buy AAA modern games and stick to pre-2006 games, Those games are actually fun with high replay value, no DRM and I can play them with mods in offline mode. All of that as a one-time purchase.
So if you're not buying the games how are we supposed to take your opinion on their quality or value seriously? Especially when general public and critical reception is positive.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I just don't buy any games from the big 3 anymore. They don't offer anything I want. And by the looks of where the industry is heading, that won't be changing. Thankfully there's a select few publishers that do and will continue getting my money. But it's a worrying trend

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, recurring theme, unit sales arent as significant and MAU, the whole industry is shifting towards it, makes MS bold move even more clear.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
Stop supporting this shit, full-stop. It's not hard and you rarely miss out on any good games.

You mean the 60 dollars I spent on AC:Origins and have put in 50 hours into and have not even come close to finishing everything and is also the best AC game in like forever and not spent an extra cent on to enjoy it fully? Kay...

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if you're not buying the games how are we supposed to take your opinion on their quality or value seriously? Especially when general public and critical reception is positive.
You don't need to play a game to know what it's about and the stuff that's in it, especially in this day and age. In fact, I would go as far to say not playing the game makes your opinion less bias and more open to more perspectives that other people have than your own.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is absolutely brilliant in their market research. Like honestly I am so impressed by them. They'e been ahead of the curve on GAAS initiatives for a long time

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to play a game to know what it's about and the stuff that's in it, especially in this day and age. In fact, I would go as far to say not playing the game makes your opinion less bias and more open to more perspectives that other people have than your own.
If you're gonna say that a game isn't actually fun, you damn well better have played it. As there's no proper way for you to actually articulate based off of first hand experience. Even worse is claiming that there's no replay value, do you think the amount of hours players spend on any one title being higher on average is a coincidence or?

Oct 29, 2017
Spekkeh explains why he stopped buying Ubisoft games:

ubisoftls1awjcu.png

ubisoftls2r0kpn.png

ubisoftls3eok0j.png

ubisoftls4aajuk.png

ubisoftls54ck4q.png

And a quick recap of why everyone else is doing this too:

ubisoftprofitgorif.png

Gotta find it hilarious that they say they're going from developer centric to player centric, but all the other slides are about profit profit more profit, lower quality and less researched shit we can sell at high prices, profit profit. Sure Jan.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That year 2 revenue generation. I know not everyone likes this model but I get it from the publisher standpoint. I don't blame them and I have had a lot of sustained use year-over-year with some of their games. I can't really complain.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
To be honest they've treated ACO excellently. They might be treating it as a "service game" but it's really a gigantic SP RPG. That's a model I'm happy to support.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're gonna say that a game isn't actually fun, you damn well better have played it. As there's no proper way for you to actually articulate based off of first hand experience. Even worse is claiming that there's no replay value, do you think the amount of hours players spend on any one title being higher on average is a coincidence or?
Online games/MMOs tend to have longer play sessions because it's with other people and friends and usually require time commitment to be fully enjoyed. Whereas offline/SP games can be turned on and off at will more easily, so the average playtime and total playtime would in theory be lower. Take any popular game, remove the multiplayer, then tell me how you think how much longer those games will be played? So many modern AAA games rely on online to reel the players in and have forgotten that good game design, polished products and small details all add up to make a good game; an art now lost.

Oct 31, 2017
Engagement/habituation/addiction is not equal to the quality of a product, but then, the majority of the modern video game market would probably argue otherwise. "I got bored because there weren't enough things to collect/do/progress/chase." "I didn't buy/play it because it's too short." "I didn't buy/play it because my friends didn't buy/play it." etc. etc.

It makes sense in a capital market, but damn if it isn't kind of depressing.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"So we can sell you more useless shit and make money with less effort"

It's sad that the industry is heading this way.

I'm ok with this, and I don't typically play GaaS. Development costs have continued to skyrocket, but sales and price per volume has remained stagnant for more than 2 decades. If you account for inflation, the money earned probably has gone down.

This is probably one of the few ways they can remain continually profitable and continue to make new content without going the way of the dodo as so many shops.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Can't knock the hustle but ultimately the games that stand at the end of this are just not for me anymore unfortunately.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Online games/MMOs tend to have longer play sessions because it's with other people and friends and usually require time commitment to be fully enjoyed. Whereas offline/SP games can be turned on and off at will more easily, so the average playtime and total playtime would in theory be lower. Take any popular game, remove the multiplayer, then tell me how you think how much longer those games will be played? So many modern AAA games rely on online to reel the players in and have forgotten that good game design, polished products and small details all add up to make a good game; an art now lost.
So what about SP focused games like AC:Origins and Breath of the Wild?
both of which have higher player retention than any other game in their respective franchise
You seem to have been so busy playing pre-2006 games that you missed the shift in game design for SP titles.
It's about more player agency

So many modern AAA games rely on online to reel the players in and have forgotten that good game design, polished products and small details all add up to make a good game; an art now lost.
...........Ok, please stop talking about games you haven't played.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the 60 dollars I spent on AC:Origins and have put in 50 hours into and have not even come close to finishing everything and is also the best AC game in like forever and not spent an extra cent on to enjoy it fully? Kay...
It's crazy how much people scream at the concept of getting better, bigger games with more updates that make it better. Do people, like, don't think a actual second before shitposting?
So just another "hurr durr MP games are not real MP games" then?

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, $14.99 for a flaming horse? Goodness, if they sold a lot of those, we're in big trouble. That's 25% of the full game price.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta find it hilarious that they say they're going from developer centric to player centric, but all the other slides are about profit profit more profit, lower quality and less researched shit we can sell at high prices, profit profit. Sure Jan.
I should note that R&D is just a reference to development budget as opposed to actual research.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what about SP focused games like AC:Origins and Breath of the Wild?
both of which have higher player retention than any other game in their respective franchise
You seem to have been so busy playing pre-2006 games that you missed the shift in game design for SP titles.
It's about more player agency
What is 'higher player retention'? I can name dozens of SP games where people have put in hundreds of hours, myself included, so what is your point here?

...........Ok, please stop talking about games you haven't played.
So
Much
Detail
and
Polish

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't seem like you read the slides, or have played Ubisoft games lately. Which honestly, is no surprise. Most of the shitposters didn't.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is 'higher player retention'? I can name dozens of SP games where people have put in hundreds of hours, myself included, so what is your point here?

So
Much
Detail
and
Polish
This is one of the most hilariously wrong posts. Many of the games you posted are not MP or games as a service, or even AAA, and the fact that you link to a dumb Crowbcat video about details in GTAIV vs GTAV when GTAV is much more polished, much more playable, has much more content, a better written story and level design is quite something. GTAIV was goddarn terrible.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Higher player retention on average, (stop using YOURSELF as representative of the entire market as you aren't even buying the games in the first place supposedly) . The combination
-less releases from big pubs
-longer support for individual titles
-Longer and more ambitious titles overall
=a trend of games on average being played for longer periods of time

Did you really just link five crowbcat videos, (two of which don't even feature triple A games btw, and the rest having troubled development or feature early access titles, neither of which represent the subject we're talking about), as an argument that games aren't in general more detailed and polished than they used to be?
26924a.gif

This is one of the most hilariously wrong posts. Many of the games you posted are not MP or games as a service, and the fact that you link to a dumb Crowbcat video about details in GTAIV vs GTAV when GTAV is much more polished, much more playable, has much more content, a better written story and level design is quite something. GTAIV was goddarn terrible.
"GTAIV is more polished than GTAV! Crowbcat said so, players aren't playing games for longer on average because I only play pre-2006 games specifically for 100s of hours. Please take my arguments seriously."

Last edited:

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Money is the short answer, I'll admit some games are good as GaaS, but it sort of stagnates selection.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Higher player retention on average, (stop using YOURSELF as representative of the entire market as you aren't even buying the games in the first place supposedly) . The combination on top of overall less releasesm and you'll see a trend of games on average being played for longer.
I mean, BotW isn't the most played Zelda game ever and it was the Switch's biggest hit, half the reason why people even bought the console. As for AC: Origins, they stopped doing yearly releases and people returned to a game that changed the formula a couple of years later. But look now, not many people playing the game as on launch day, is there?

Did you really just link five crowbcat videos, (two of which don't even have triple A games btw), as an argument that games aren't in general more detailed and polished than they used to be?
26924a.gif
It doesn't matter who the video uploader is, the objective facts in the video itself still stand, which you have yet to answer to.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Lol PS3 launch was the bottom of the chart for everyone it seems like.

Damn, that PS3 slump!

Lol Kutaragi almost tanked the entire gaming industry with his act of madness that was the PS3.

Why was the PS3 so low? I knew Sony spent a ton of money on it, but I wouldn't expect that to hit third parties so much. I know the cell made it difficult, but was it just that expensive to develop on PS3 compared to the 360? Are there other factors?

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter who the video uploader is, the objective facts in the video itself still stand, which you have yet to answer to.

Crowbcat is bothered that GTA V doesn't adhere to weird intricacies when the reality is GTA IV was fucking boring and dull because it tried so hard to feel authentic. I'd take 50 GTA V's over that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, BotW isn't the most played Zelda game ever and it was the Switch's biggest hit, half the reason why people even bought the console. As for AC: Origins, they stopped doing yearly releases and people returned to a game that changed the formula a couple of years later.
They didn't even stop doing yearly release, they kept the franchise in the public mind via a HD collection and a film, it wasn't some dormant franchise that got brought back to life after a couple years. I can also assure you that on average people played BOTW for longer than any other Zelda title on their first run through, even more so when you consider the dlcs.

But look now, not many people playing the game as on launch day, is there?
Did you not see this slide?
ubisoftls4aajuk.png

If you think that GTAV isn't a more polished and detailed game than GTAIV then you haven't played either of them. And you still haven't addressed the fact that half of those games weren't even AAA. It's actually astounding how consistently wrong you've been ITT and honestly you should just stop, you know what would be a good starting point for being able to make a compelling and succinct argument, actually experiencing the things everyone else is talking about, aka, actually playing these games.

lol objective facts.
Take it from "mr. pre-2006 games specifically. GTAIV is more detailed than GTAV, No Man's Sky is Triple A, PUBG is a full release."

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the whole point is that the game launches complete and DLC is extra content. Did you not buy Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild because they had updates after launch.

This way of thinking really makes no sense. You're getting more of the game, not less.

Agree 100%. It also depends on the quality of the game and if you're having a lot of fun and enjoyment in playing it. for ACO, I played and completed everything in the base game which took me 130 hours. Another 15 hours for 100% completion in the first expansion and im waiting for the second expansion in a few weeks.

While there's been rumors of a new AC game later this year and while it will be day one for me, with RDR 2 being released October 26th, im hoping that Ubisoft delays that game and instead, releases a season two with a few more expansions.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say anything about how much micro-transaction revenue they get from live games in comparison to the sticker price of the game?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, BotW isn't the most played Zelda game ever and it was the Switch's biggest hit, half the reason why people even bought the console. As for AC: Origins, they stopped doing yearly releases and people returned to a game that changed the formula a couple of years later. But look now, not many people playing the game as on launch day, is there?

What are the objective facts in those videos? That GTA IV has some details GTA V doesn't, and at the same time not acknowleding any of the details V had that IV didn't, and completely ignoring things like actual level design, controls, gameplay in general, writing, etc? Yeah so many objective facts.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say anything about how much micro-transaction revenue they get from live games in comparison to the sticker price of the game?
27% of their revenue is from recurring revenue (microtransactions, that sort of thing), though that's also higher profit revenue than what they get selling a game physically.

It's up from 21% last year despite Origins being less oriented that way.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you not see this slide?
ubisoftls4aajuk.png
That image is the reason why I brought up the launch day issue, Ubi claim that "user engagement" leads to more profit etc., in the AAA's mind, more content = more playtime when this just isn't the case, otherwise AC: Syndicate would have been more successful. What the AAA mindset doesn't understand is that older games, pre-2006, are still very much playable today because of how much polish and focus on fun they are. You can throw icecream onto a cone but eventually the cone won't be able to sustain the icecream on top, but if you made the cone larger or stronger, it might. AAA devs make content for money, bug fixing and focus on fun? Nah.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Came here expecting the answer to boil down to "more money"... Wasn't disappointed.

As a single player gamer, GaaS doesn't really seem to play well that without gimping the experience somehow (loot boxes for in game items for example).

I think it's clear Glass will always be around now but I hope it doesn't mean the death of the traditional SP epic games as a whole.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and completely ignoring things like actual level design, controls, gameplay in general, writing, etc? Yeah so many objective facts.
Those are subjective and down to the individual's taste. The objective facts are, GTA5 and DR4 are lacking in polish and detail (at the time of publication), which is what the videos were showing exactly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That image is the reason why I brought up the launch day issue, Ubi claim that "user engagement" leads to more profit etc., in the AAA's mind, more content = more playtime when this just isn't the case
*citation needed*
As what you're currently saying is that you know more than the devs about player retention metrics based on the scope of the game and how that leads to more profits overtime. On top of knowing more than the people actually playing the games in the first place, who, if they played these things to completion, would objectively take longer on average as the games themselves are longer. So I have to ask, where's your actual source?

otherwise AC: Syndicate would have been more successful.
AC Syndicate had less content in the base package than the game that came before it and also was the followup to that game which had less than stellar wom, on top of a smaller marketing campaign.

What the AAA mindset doesn't understand is that older games, pre-2006, are still very much playable today because of how much polish and focus on fun they are.
29c.jpg

Came here expecting the answer to boil down to "more money"... Wasn't disappointed.

As a single player gamer, GaaS doesn't really seem to play well that without gimping the experience somehow (loot boxes for in game items for example).

I think it's clear Glass will always be around now but I hope it doesn't mean the death of the traditional SP epic games as a whole.
Is Breath of the Wild a gimped experience?

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy how much people scream at the concept of getting better, bigger games with more updates that make it better. Do people, like, don't think a actual second before shitposting?
Maybe I don't want bigger games, I find the typical Ubisoft open world game to be extreme quantity over quality already. I remember in Black Flag 1-starring half of the missions. Updates, why would I want updates? Better? Let them make better games first before going even bigger and more live.

(I am lying, I did play and like Mario+Rabbids, even if I found that game too overly long as well)

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I like Ubi's concept so far. I haven't purchased any of their live-service games but I really like the idea. And I want this from other devs also. I.E Bungie should let Destiny 2 for a long time in active development. D3 is unnecessary

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why was the PS3 so low? I knew Sony spent a ton of money on it, but I wouldn't expect that to hit third parties so much. I know the cell made it difficult, but was it just that expensive to develop on PS3 compared to the 360? Are there other factors?
I´d guess it was a combination of high development costs and terrible sales.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Im surprised episodic single player campaigns havent blown up. I think a yearly (or bi-yearly) 20$ 4-hour campaign would do great for years, and while the first few episodes might be expensive to make, the later ones will benefit from reusing assets and an experienced dev team.
Plus they can stop at any time due to the episodic nature.

Maybe im just not good at reading the market and this is actually a recipe for failure.

Breath of the Wild is not GaaS. It's not even a live game.
idk man, an expansion pass with lots of DLC sprinkled throught the year sounds very GaaS-like to me.