• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So a business interview just went up with Ubisoft, and I thought there would be some interest in this.

There's a lot more at the link.

"When you look around, more and more it's games-as-a-service [titles] that are the most appreciated by the fans," Corre said. "Because when you have invested tens and tens of hours in a game, and if there are new reasons to stay because you have fresh content to come, or innovation on a regular basis, then you are happy because all of the time you have invested... It's part of your life."
"Yes, it's a service," he said. "It's a service-type product.

"The idea with Odyssey is to create new content every week so that it's a [lively] adventure for the fans. So there's always something new, something fresh and something they can discover and appreciate. We want this Odyssey to be living, to always be fresh, so it's a different way to create games this way."
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-13-even-assassins-creed-is-a-live-service-now

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
GaaS is such a frowned upon term, but really Origins was a GaaS too and that was great.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
He is right, I loved to go back at Origins every time the Trials of the Gods are active or when they dropped the free missions that acted as prelude for the main DLC campaigns.

Hell, Origins is still installed on my console since December and I still play it... I also poured some real cash to get some cool outfits even if they have a gacha mechanic to obtain them for freem once a day.

Hoping the make more single player games with the same structure Splinter Cell

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
As long as it isn't temporary content then I'm all in on this stuff for single player games. If the game is good I want them to keep making more of it.

How did this work out for Origins?

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make all the games like this you want, just don't expect me to pay full retail pricing for them when you do.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about weekly updates in a single payer games, but I do understand what they are saying. It seems they are counting story dlc as gaas, which is fine.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If ACO was like last year's ACO, then im all in. If the live service aspect is to be like Origins with single player story expansions and stuff, then hell yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
The "GaaS" in AC Origins is just their servers locking you out of Trials of the Gods that are currently not "active" at a given time. When the servers go down, all that single player content will be inaccessible forever.

Just release some good old DLC like before if it's a single player game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 ain't got enough space to hold a bunch of these gigantic juggernaut games. I always end up deleting 'em as soon as I finish the story.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand very well. Are they going to add content every week so you can reach the end game within a certain time frame?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think this sort of thing is necessarily bad or negative, I just think it places games in a space that CAN allow for obvious abuse by companies.

And personally, I prefer my single player games to be discrete experiences that I can enjoy and move on rather than something that continuously vies for my attention. I already have plenty of MP games that do that.

All that said: Make the initial release a complete experience, price additions responsibly and do not treat paying customers like potential criminals.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm well, its a cool feature.

But please, dont force co-op in a single player game, this is a deal breaker to me

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Give me a game with a broader scope or more open to different things to do like a Dungeons & Dragons type of title, I could see doing really well in a Games as a Service kind of system when new adventures and locations get added. This game though? The world setting and the main character as so well defined that I definitely won't be sticking around to after finishing the main story. If it works out for them though, then awesome.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Not a fan of this, singleplayer story games shouldnt be like this
I didn't mind it with Hitman. I'm just concerned what this means when they inevitably shut down the servers or stop supporting the game.

GaaS is great for live titles but something like WD2 is going to be hurt significantly when those servers shut down for whatever reason.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I haven't played Origins yet, it could be very different, but past Assassin's Creed games have usually been short term experiences for me. Enjoyable, sure, but I definitely needed to stop playing after a while.
Never bothered with the DLC, by the time it was out I was done. Loved the hell out of AC2, but when the story was finished I never went back.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Origins did it really well so I don't see the problem. I say bring it.

Are people being intentionally dense in this thread? I can't tell anymore.
Really. Don't worry, everyone, you'll still be able to play and complete a full narrative in this game. This has nothing to do with that.

Sometimes it's like people actively try to be obtuse, and choose to see a situation from one specific angle.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hitman is a phenomenal GaaS title. And that's because Hitman lends itself exceptionally well to the episodic structure. Every level in Hitman is its own sandbox. For IO, it made sense to get a lot more out of this sandbox by adding new content to every level. It works so well in Hitman because the gameplay systems is on point in Hitman. Hitmans big problem was the problems it had out of the gate which scared a lot of people away. The game is ridiculously good. It's almost absurd how good it is, contra how few are playing it.

I believe Asssassins Creed could use a similar structure. AC itself is a trojan horse excuse to have one IP where the game makers can go to all these eras, but still have a financial security through a renowned IP. The games are similar, used in different versions of the same engine, and there are a lot of core mechanics that are the same across the game. I think AC should be one cohesive universe, where the Templars and Assassins (or whatever pre-factions that proceed them) are fighting, recruiting people, sending them on missions, trading (Black Flag) and where you're able to upgrade your characters gear, looks, skills across the game. Many AC games have unique feature sets and gameplay systems you could expand to the others and bring them up to the latest best practices in Origins.

AC1/2/3 are really really simple now. If you go back and play it.. It could really benefit from the visual upgrades, gameplay and quests upgrades and more. Go back and make the real-life story less intrusive like in the newer game, make some branching storylines. Kiwami the shit out of those old games, add the refined combat, RPG and story elements from Origins- re-release everything as a digital hub, where you can seamless jump from time period to time period and play all the games at once. Unlock things in earlier games, and get things in the later one. Have those shared gameplay systems like the assassin brotherhood across the games. So it's like one big meta-game. And then add a second campaign/story to all the games where you play the game from an opposite templar/assassin perspective. What would it be like to be a templar in AC1 who is trying to do good in the holy lands and stop assassins who sought to destabilize the region and kill the people who tried to make peace? There is a lot of possible intrigue to explore in the earlier games.

I think they need to go all in on AC as GaaS. Learn from Hitman and Yakuza. Origins (and Odysee) it looks like are major steps forward- Cannot go back and play the old games. I'm totally fine with AC taking that Witcher 3 inspiration. Embrace it- Go further with it. I'd love to see Syndicate/Unity/Black Flag be remastered in similar fashion.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I honestly don't understand how people have time for all these maximum and constant engagement games. How do people find the time?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
They said the same thing about Origins but I don't think the updates were all that frequent. Support stopped just after the second DLC.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
So it will be free to play right? like other GAAS games?
A constant stream of content over the year.

In Origins each month there was an update in which they added new costumes, mounts and weapons (you could buy them with real money or play a daily mission to obtain a chest and a chance to gain it and the game was already BRIMMING with those to begin with), they also added new bosses based on Egyptian mythology, added a few new modes (New Game Plus, Discovery Tour), a constant stream of QoL patches and then a pair of missions that served as a prelude of their big DLC campaings.

Oh and some mode for PC that I never really got into it.

Basically they kept releasing reasons to going back to the game each week.

I honestly don't understand how people have time for all these maximum and constant engagement games. How do people find the time?
I play less games than before and keep enjoying the ones that give me reason to go back

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
"When you look around, more and more it's games-as-a-service [titles] that are the most appreciated by the fans," Corre said.

giphy.gif